Joining the Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgriz

Ever since I was a little kid, I've look at warships, fighter jets, bombers, tanks, and thought, "I want to be part of that." Besides that, military service has been in my family for a long time. My great grandfather fought in WWI, my Grandfather was a mechanic in WWII and Korea (Aircraft), and my dad and his two brothers were in the Army (medics ftw! ;) )

I plan on going to the Air force Academy and joining the Air Force as an officer. My dream is to one day fly for the United States military.
So my question is, have any of you ever been in an armed force? What is your opinion on it? What armed force were you in, or are currently serving in.

Thanks for reading. :)

GruntOfAction said:
All I have to say is make sure you have the safety on when you point it at someone you know.
Lol thats funny, but true.

I know I may not have ever been in the army, but I have spoken to people who said they were proud to fight for their country, but werent so optimistic when they found out what war really was like, they said "those who havent ever seen combat, want to be a part of it"

But if it is your dream, maybe the air force if for you, and I support you 100%, any man/woman who will fight for their country by will deserves our recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Air Force vet, I highly recommend it to all those who are looking to join, but unsure which branch. Some people are dead set on other branches and that's fine.
I applaud your desire to become and officer, and I wish you the best to join the academy. Just remember that if you don't get into the academy, you can still get a 4 yr degree and join as a pilot. Happens all the time. The Academy is nice for your career, but it's not mandatory.

Keep your grades up, keep you chin up, and do all that you can to get into the Air Force - that means stay away from the drugs and booze. And I don't recommend getting married while you're in, unless you're career. I have lots of other advice, so PM me if you want to talk about it. I can also point you to a guy that was a photographer for the Air Force (Torch, Airman Magazines) and he's a great guy - he's been to Antarctica 7 times I think.

Navy and an Academy guy as well (not the Naval Academy).

When picking your branch, look at the other pipelines they offer and make sure you are happy with more than just one. Also if you want to fly what airframes you want to fly. Everyoen wants to fly the F-22 (my self included, it should be a Navy plane) but some one has to fly the C-5, C-130, tankers and so on. Also pick a Major that is somthing that can be useful later in life as well.

When you get to the Academy, do as your told, don't say a word and help your fellow cadet.

My father was in the Air Force and my room mate is in the Army. They both agreed that of all the branches they saw the Air Force as having the best perks.

Fragclone said:
make sure you make it back in one piece! and good luck!
whoah, whoah, whoah! nobody said he was going off to war. haaha

i would not suggest going in the national guard. my dad takes so much crap from them, and after 20 years in he is getting tired of it. He's trying to land a job with the FBI right now.

Vader said:
As an Air Force vet, I highly recommend it to all those who are looking to join, but unsure which branch. Some people are dead set on other branches and that's fine.
I applaud your desire to become and officer, and I wish you the best to join the academy. Just remember that if you don't get into the academy, you can still get a 4 yr degree and join as a pilot. Happens all the time. The Academy is nice for your career, but it's not mandatory.

Keep your grades up, keep you chin up, and do all that you can to get into the Air Force - that means stay away from the drugs and booze. And I don't recommend getting married while you're in, unless you're career. I have lots of other advice, so PM me if you want to talk about it. I can also point you to a guy that was a photographer for the Air Force (Torch, Airman Magazines) and he's a great guy - he's been to Antarctica 7 times I think.

Wow, that's good to know. I'll definately have some questions for you. So, I could go to school locally and still be a pilot? That's cool.

CMANavy said:
Navy and an Academy guy as well (not the Naval Academy).

When picking your branch, look at the other pipelines they offer and make sure you are happy with more than just one. Also if you want to fly what airframes you want to fly. Everyoen wants to fly the F-22 (my self included, it should be a Navy plane) but some one has to fly the C-5, C-130, tankers and so on. Also pick a Major that is somthing that can be useful later in life as well.

When you get to the Academy, do as your told, don't say a word and help your fellow cadet.

Well, what person in their right-mind wouldn't want to pilot an F-22? :p But really, I'm partial to the F-15, (I would say F-14 but that is a Naval based aircraft, and she has been retired :cry: ), or the F-16. Though I would prefer to be a fighter pilot, I would also be proud to fly bombers, transport, or refueling craft.

Vexona said:
My father was in the Air Force and my room mate is in the Army. They both agreed that of all the branches they saw the Air Force as having the best perks.

That's what I've heard. I know somebody who went into the airforce and is an Air Traffic Controller, and she's getting paid in the six digits! (She is an officer) Of course, money is not one of the reasons why I want to join. :p

Fragclone said:
make sure you make it back in one piece! and good luck!

Haha, I'm not going anywhere! At least not yet!

Thank's for the respones guys (especially you military vets ;) ). I will continue to do my research and see what path I am supposed to go in life.

Vexona said:
...the Air Force as having the best perks.
And the hottest chicks. hehheh... j/k. but the ratio for men to women is a bit higher, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, you can go to a local school and still fly - probably not the fighters, but in all honestly you'd have a much easier time getting work after you get out/retiremnet if you fly the heavies. Not really a demand for civillian fighter pilots.
Quick Joke:
Fighter pilot pulls up to a tanker, fills up, and calls over - 'hey can you do this?' and proceeds to do various aerial acrobatics. The tanker pilot laughs and says, 'No, but can you do this?' Fighter pilot watches and watches, but sees nothing. Finally the tanker pilot calls out, 'did you see it?' Fighter pilot says, 'You didn't do anything?' Tanker pilot says, 'Sure I did, I went to the bathroom, read the paper, had a cup of coffee, and had a donut. Can you do that?'

Yeah, like CMANavy said - pick a major you'd like to put to use later. I'm a mass comm student right now, and one of my friends is ROTC and she's just going for a General Mass Comm degree - she won't be using that much as an Air Battle Manager, but she may when she gets out. Who Knows?

And remember, in the Air Force, you need a Bachelor's Degree to break it, but only a GED to fix it.

I served actively for 2.5 years and in the Reserves for another 10 years as an E5, Section leader with the Singapore Combat Field Engineers [Sapper/Demolitions]. Taught me alot and introduced me to the world of demolition. Been hooked ever since. :)

It's commendable that you want to serve your country this way, and I salute you for it. Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.

You have to be super-human to be a pilot, you need 20-20 vision. My friend failed his physical because he had a problem with his ear!!!

Long ago I served as targeting technician in ATACMS battalion for 1.5 years.
What have I to say..
Serve honorable and fair. Salute.

Halo_1 said:
I served actively for 2.5 years and in the Reserves for another 10 years as an E5, Section leader with the Singapore Combat Field Engineers [Sapper/Demolitions]. Taught me alot and introduced me to the world of demolition. Been hooked ever since. :)

It's commendable that you want to serve your country this way, and I salute you for it. Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.
I lived in a dorm not too far from EOD school at Eglin AFB. Did you happen to go there? If so, do you remember the Matador?

Shadow_Killer801 said:
Well it's like a FPS but with better graphics but I head if you die there are no spawn points!

Hehehe, PurePwnage. BOOM! HEADSHOT! I love those videos.

"Everyone runs faster with a knife!"

Thanks for all of the info guys. I still have a lot of things to decide, but you have helped me out a lot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back