Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome job so far. You've got amazingly sharp and crisp edges and detailing on your helmet, it looks fantastic.

So I've finalized the details on the back of the neck. I'm pleased with the results:

ColorTest004.jpg

I decided to go ahead and spray a quick coat of olive drab on it just to get a preview:

ColorTest005.jpg

Once the painting is done (less the texturing) I'll start the moldmaking.

Stay tuned.

thorssoli said:
So I've finalized the details on the back of the neck. I'm pleased with the results:

ColorTest004.jpg

I decided to go ahead and spray a quick coat of olive drab on it just to get a preview:

ColorTest005.jpg

Once the painting is done (less the texturing) I'll start the moldmaking.

Stay tuned.

Very nice! Has FS sen this yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
thorssoli said:
Stay tuned.
certinly will!!!

DoC ByTeS said:
Very nice! Has FS sen this yet?

yup, just now!

you have been lurking very well havnt you! havnt spotted this one before.

also, you live on a boat?!!! how cool is that?!!!! we gots a boat but we only go there on weekends.

So I'm done with 9 of the 14 steps I'll take to paint the finished helmet:
Visortesting001.jpg

I made a paper visor template to get an idea of exactly what it will look like when I've got the whole thing put together. The final visor will be gold:
Visortesting011.jpg

I've also decided that I don't need to keep painting the prototype and I'll be making molds soon.

Next step, blue sticky goo.

Stay tuned.

I think you might want to cut some vent holes in there somewhere unnoticeable cus if you put that thing on your head its going to be so hot.

Falling_Jihad said:
I think you might want to cut some vent holes in there somewhere unnoticeable cus if you put that thing on your head its going to be so hot.

The end result will have vent holes with laptop computer squirrel cage style blower fans to push in fresh air and keep the visor from fogging. Of course, there will also be a rear-view camera system and a voice changer/amplifier and working LEDs and all sorts of other bells and whistles.

But that's all later. Meanwhile, I finally came up with a visor concept that I think faithfully replicates the look I'm going for:
Visortestingagain011.jpg

Essentially, it's a gold-tint motorcycle face shield with a .015" thick, clear styrene cutout laid over the top of it. I think it looks the part:

Visortestingagain018.jpg

WOW...that came out very nice!! I also like the camera idea...wonder how that is gonna look!!

I like to ask this question alot but what size did you use for your helmet?

(y) Wow thats a awesome helmet!!! The styrene idea one word...perfect! I had tried this on a small scale with my Oakley sunglasses and it looked good , but it was hard to tell at such a small scale. The double face shield looks good but for me I think it looks a little "thick"(no offense to anyone). It looks like I will be going this route for my helmet!

Blue Sticky Goo Phase complete:

BlueGooRoundOne003.jpg

This is Silicone RTV moldmaking rubber built up to a thickness between 1/2" and 3/4" over the entire helmet:

BlueGooRoundTwo001.jpg

Green Sticky Goo Phase in progress:

MotherMoldPartOne001.jpg

Stay tuned...

You are amazing, it turns out soo good, going to mold it? Hmmm I can only hope mine turns out this good also when I finish it in the summer/spring.

This is definitly one of the best deisgned Helmets i´ve ever seen!! Good Work! How many Hours do you spend completly on that Helmet?

The Idea with the rear Camera is good, but how do you wanna install the Monitor?

BTW: Do only I see this or is this Helmet rly a little too big?

Sisko4 said:
This is definitly one of the best deisgned Helmets i´ve ever seen!! Good Work! How many Hours do you spend completly on that Helmet?

The Idea with the rear Camera is good, but how do you wanna install the Monitor?

BTW: Do only I see this or is this Helmet rly a little too big?

I haven't really kept track of the hours so far. Each of the pep helmets were made during a long night of watching movies and cutting and pasting, so I'd say that was at least 21 hours there. There was one day of polyester and polyurethane resin pouring, so probably another 8 hours. Then there were at least five days of fine-tuning the shape with bondo and adding details with bit of sheet styrene, so maybe another 50 hours. Add the moldmaking time and you've got at least 15 more hours. So all told, I'd say that this has used up at least 80-90 hours at this point. Of course, there's also a lot of time that I haven't accounted for in research and study and so on.

The installation of the monitor for my rear-view camera doesn't really worry me. It's small enough that I'll be able to put it all sorts of places in the helmet. What worries me is finding a fairly invisible place to hide the camera itself. I'm figuring on putting a pinhole camera somewhere so it looks out through one of the seams in the back of the bucket. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The helmet is only slightly too big if at all. Since I'm building it to fit a variety of wearers, I wanted to make it as versatile as possible. I'm one of the smallest guys in the group that will be dressing up. I'll make more than one size of armor, but I'm hoping to get away with a one size helmet. I'm 5'8" tall and it's a tiny bit big on me. The largest of our number is 6'8" and it looks a tiny it small on him. I think it's a good compromise.

Meanwhile, here's a couple more pics.

Green sticky goo phase in progress:

MotherMoldPartTwo001.jpg

Green sticky goo phase complete:

MotherMoldPartThree001.jpg

Watch for a classified thread once I've got the first copies out of the mold. That should be in the middle of next week when I'm looking for cash to continue the other parts of the project.

Wow.... this all looks familar... gooey gooey mess making molds isn't it... nice helm too btw..

But I guess I have the girly version, as my mold is pink and yours is blue.... ;)

med_gallery_3819_91_15255.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back