Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to say that your work is truely both impressive and inspirational.

I love the fact that the overall process of making only the pep helmet the exact one that pep work from this site was founded on. In other words, keeping it old school with the straight bondo/fiberglass combo.

i have no idea how you achieved so much detail. It just stuns me.

Props to you my friend. You sir, are no noob

iamyourcousin228 said:
How many part mold is this goin to be. Looks like there are 3 in the green thing.

The mother mold will be in three parts, but the silicone glove mold will be one part with a slit in the back to make it easier to get the finished castings out.

Last edited by a moderator:
thorssoli said:
Blue Sticky Goo Phase complete:

BlueGooRoundOne003.jpg

This is Silicone RTV moldmaking rubber built up to a thickness between 1/2" and 3/4" over the entire helmet:

BlueGooRoundTwo001.jpg

Green Sticky Goo Phase in progress:

MotherMoldPartOne001.jpg

Stay tuned...

RESPIRATOR ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Fin(n)ish

Finnish_Spartan said:
RESPIRATOR ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Fin(n)ish

Actually, as long as I'm using a "well-ventilated" area there's no harm to be had from the silicone. In fact, there are even lifecasting versions of the same stuff that can be applied to bare skin and food-grade versions that you can cook in and eat out of. Since I've got a sliding garage door that opens up a whole wall of my shop, I'm very nearly doing the smelly/dangerous parts of my work outdoors.

Thank you though, for your concern. Trust me, when I start painting these I'll be using a positive pressure, forced air respirator in an enclosed space and a set of plastic coveralls. So far, I still really like my health.

Looks like he's got a dust collector or HVAC system in there, right? I'm sure that helps with the ventilation when turned on.

Amazing work by the way.

23Magnum said:
Looks like he's got a dust collector or HVAC system in there, right?

Dust collector, yes.

It's a bit of a low-end system designed to cut down on the sweeping when I'm doing woodwork.

So far there is no HVAC at all, which slows me down when it gets really cold out. The best I can manage is firing up the woodstove in the adjacent room and setting a fan next to it to blow warm air into the shop. Even that only works poorly at best.

Adam said:
my hvac is a fan and a heatgun :-(

:lol: Haha...poor Adam. Mine would probably be opening all the windows in my attic.

thorssoli said:
Dust collector, yes.

It's a bit of a low-end system designed to cut down on the sweeping when I'm doing woodwork.

Yeah, I noticed you have quite the workshop there. :cautious:

thorssoli said:

Where's the camera! It's like that one episode of Ghost in the Shell....

Looks great! Actually, great is an understatement. It look amazing. Awesine job, do you have plans on doing the entire suit?

Razgriz said:
Where's the camera! It's like that one episode of Ghost in the Shell....

Sorry to go off topic a little but I lol'd as I know exactly the episode you mean. 1st gig, Togusa duscovers the reflection in the mirror. great stuff!!

Great work Thorssoli, I like your solution to the visor. Interesting take on the whole duel layer method.

RedTogusa said:
Great work Thorssoli, I like your solution to the visor. Interesting take on the whole duel layer method.

Thanks! So far the dual-layer method was the best looking practical construction method I had found. The only problem I had was the thickness at the edges and the significant change in color between the two layers. Then there was the added expense of buying a whole separate faceshield.

In other news, I just realized that I forgot to mention this other part.

Bootsizetester001.jpg

This is the low-res model for the right boot to verify the size.

The final version will be built in high resolution with a slip-on shoe inside, custom cast rubber soles, and the molds will be size-able to make a variety of different sized boots. This will make it easier to accomodate the variety of sized people that I'm outfitting this year.

Bring on the craziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back