Cog Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
@major pain: guessing your sun hasnt tried this sucker on yet? because if i was your son i would be picking it up every time you got a small part done

but the strapping i was going to do the same thing

i am assuming you would apply alot of pressure and strength to hold that piece together? because i dont think Duct tape would be strong enough to hold that thing together...what would you suggest to use to keep it tight and secure?

whoops, my bad, i meant epoxy resin over polyester resin? i dunno if my lillte town in BC carries these things, i might just have to improvise.

Hot glue will work just fine. i used it on my Mjolnir suit with the same harness method and it stayed. Just make sure to put another stap on that goes around the arm to help relive some of the tension on the top strap.

I haven't been here long guys but I'd be another vote for keeping the files up as I keep popping in here to see how you're progressing with your builds. I know after I've finished with my current project I'd certainly consider trying a gears suit so it would be a shame for the hard work to just disappear. Keep up the good work guys!

alright, here's what i did...
i ran to the dollar store, and grabbed myself 2 buckles and a sew on velcro straps. since the buckles were small, the velcros worked fine. then i used safety pins to hold the velcros together after weaving them through the buckles. works so far and i just resined them into the chest and shoulders using Major Pain's technique.
its almost done, i cant wait till halloween.

First off, this is my first post because i've decided to join in this forum because of all of you in this topic.
I've been making my own costumes from scratch every year and this year i wanted to make my own cog suit. I've thought of many different ways on how i would approach it until i stumbled across this website. This will be my first time doing anything with Pepakura or fiberglassing, so i figure i will still make my chest/back plate from scratch (I am using a set of Hockey Shouldpads i bought online for $30 and will build from there)
26902709.JPG

This is the set of pads i am using. If any ideas please feel free to give them to me, as im looking for ways to bulk up the look.

On Pep i've decided i'm going to start off with the pair of greaves, which btw THANKS SPARTAN for the hard work you put in making these files for everyone. I figure it would be a little challanging for noob, but i think i can manage. my only fear is the scaling... does scaling method i saw in a tutorial work for all pep situations? or does measuring inches and converting to mm work aswell?

Hey spike52, welcome to the community! As far as building up your chest and back, im not sure as to what will work best considering you have less than 30 days until Hallows Eve. If you are experienced with clay i would go that route. Psberatta kind of set the standard on COG armor so i would follow his methods if you can. If not why not try my method with layers of foamies. As for the scaling, I ALWAYS do the conversions manually(Use the given dimensions at the bottom of Pepakura Designer, take body measurements, convert to cm or mm, change height in Designer, and done).

Hope that helps. Keep us updated.

;) ;) ;)

That is gonna kick some Ass, i cant believe that someone can make NAS-Look himself o_O

Looks like it was dragged out of the GoW-Dimension!

Major Pain said:
Hey spike52, welcome to the community! As far as building up your chest and back, im not sure as to what will work best considering you have less than 30 days until Hallows Eve. If you are experienced with clay i would go that route. Psberatta kind of set the standard on COG armor so i would follow his methods if you can. If not why not try my method with layers of foamies. As for the scaling, I ALWAYS do the conversions manually(Use the given dimensions at the bottom of Pepakura Designer, take body measurements, convert to cm or mm, change height in Designer, and done).

Hope that helps. Keep us updated.

Thanks for the welcome and quick response Major Pain. As far as time frame goes at this point i'm not gonna be pushing for complete accuracy knowing there is less than a month left til halloween. but after it passes i plan on doing the chestplate through Pepakura, and completing the rest of the costume that way, more for the quality that PSberreta accomplished. Once i get my greaves completely glued up i'll take some photos to get them posted, and then off to fiberglass them. hopefully that will be done either today or tomorrow depending how work goes today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spike52: Hey i was thinking, that set of pads would probably work well as a set of Alpha squad armor. You know the style that Kim, Baird, and Carmine have? The blue tinted armor would be pretty bad ass too. I just think it would be really hard to "build up" those pads to resemble Fenix's. Anyways, can't wait to see your progress.

Major Pain said:
Spike52: Hey i was thinking, that set of pads would probably work well as a set of Alpha squad armor. You know the style that Kim, Baird, and Carmine have? The blue tinted armor would be pretty bad ass too. I just think it would be really hard to "build up" those pads to resemble Fenix's. Anyways, can't wait to see your progress.
Good point Major Pain, i just want to make a good looking Gears of War costume. Doesn't have to be Fenix. Just being a COG soldier would be a good way to go. When painting it i may try a different color scheme aswell. Ran into a minor problem with one of my greaves, when puttin on hot glue my dog ran by and pulled power cable, knocking the gun into my project and causing one of the numbers not aligning on target. Fortunately its on the inside where my shin will be, so i'm hoping it won't cause any warping. Almost finished with the glueing stage though. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the community, Spike! First off, let me just say that if you are good with numbers, folding and and gluing, Pep will be a breeze. its in the detailing and the time to make things right that makes armor building difficult. Furthermore, about your shoulder pads; go for it and build on top of it...sure it may not look as close to the game but hey, uniqueness seperates you from the rest of the COG soldiers, so go for it.

hey i'm real new here lol, are those rapid share files all the armour pieces i need to open in Pepakura? then i can build the armour?

also is there anyone out their that knows or wants to make a standard sizing list for their armour pieces, EG if you are 5ft you need to type in thios scaling so it will fit.

I really want to make some COG asrmour to run around in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back