Cog Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really liking the progress and files here so far.. My friend owns a LAN center, so in preparation for GoW3, he was talking about some Gears tournies... A group of friends and I do costuming (Mandalorians, Renaissance, working on Iron Man/War Machine, etc..) and he seemed interested in us possibly coming out suited up for this.. We have the standard guys going forward, a Fenix, etc...

Question is, i'd like to do Tai... I have the build/looks, for the most part. Is there any files or advice for his armor? It looks like standard Fenix stuff with a bandoleer added, no leg knife, and that big pauldron of his. I didn't run across this on any of the other pages, so I thought i'd ask for any advice on if my interpretation was right, and if so, how I should set about making the add-ons?

Our 'lead man' on this project is a Marine Corps guy who has worked for years repairing helicopters and the like, and can just about make fiberglass do anything he wants, so i'm confident we can make it, I just wanted some pointers or advice from the best, and a friend who owns some COG armor pointed me here.

Thanks in advance, and again... You guys have some serious skills.

here is some more progress pics have it fiberglassed and bondo and primed putting on panles made of craft fome and hot glued and pop riveted on and will be panited

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

Looks great man. I would only suggest putting a couple of small coats of resin on the panels to help with the paint process. That foam tends to absorb lots of paint which results in the outside looking very porous, matte-like, and dull. Keep up the good work.

Maj. Pain

@ jedi tomray, that is going to come out amazing!!!! that looks soooo good man! cant wait to see the finished result

and another thing to all those who write on this thread. I too love the gears armor, and me and a friend of mine have been trying to make one for 3 and a half years now, but we never get to finishing it. It really bothers me that on a forum with thousands upon thousands of useless threads, all people making gears of war armor are confined to using ONE, 20 page thread... and I know we are allowed to post a progress thread in the pep forum, but for some reason you guys all post your progress here.

You see about 20 iron man threads a week now, it would be nice to see you guys branch off of this thread, and make a WIP thread somewhere else....god knows im tired of seeing 10000000 iron man helmets hahahahahaha

this is not a negative thing, just kind of a question about why things are this way.

p.s. im sorry to those that happen to be making iron man armor, most of it is REAL QUALITY work! hahahhaha

more progress pics all fome on and painted and used some old speaker covers from an old boombox they were just the right size and blue fome around them.

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

used auto wireing tubeing for back tubes

DSC00600.jpg

cut out for light lens

DSC00604.jpg

My Dizzy Wallin Costume

4539059948_b84103a136-1.jpg

23992_430372124017_517784017_537-1.jpg

4536995233_c28bc36e78.jpg

25076_513584067198_94700421_3054164.jpg

Josh Ortega Writer of the Gears of War 2, Creator of Dizzy, and Author of Gears of War DC comics.

I attended a convention and met him, he signed my armor and had me sit on his panel with him.

Thanks to everyone who posted the files and to all the great advice on this sight.

This is my first attempt at this kind of thing, so it is not as good as some of the guys who posted here, but improvements can always be made.

Thanks for the view,

Ix

Gearsofhalo said:
@ jedi tomray, that is going to come out amazing!!!! that looks soooo good man! cant wait to see the finished result

and another thing to all those who write on this thread. I too love the gears armor, and me and a friend of mine have been trying to make one for 3 and a half years now, but we never get to finishing it. It really bothers me that on a forum with thousands upon thousands of useless threads, all people making gears of war armor are confined to using ONE, 20 page thread... and I know we are allowed to post a progress thread in the pep forum, but for some reason you guys all post your progress here.

You see about 20 iron man threads a week now, it would be nice to see you guys branch off of this thread, and make a WIP thread somewhere else....god knows im tired of seeing 10000000 iron man helmets hahahahahaha

this is not a negative thing, just kind of a question about why things are this way.

p.s. im sorry to those that happen to be making iron man armor, most of it is REAL QUALITY work! hahahhaha

actually i like having the builds on here sure they dont have a name on a thread but when someone reading threw how to build an cog suit they have plenty of builds to look at that look amazing. Hopefully ill get of my butt an work on a new "hd" cog suit

Last edited by a moderator:
@spartan 0510....you know what, you are right! i overlooked those facts....also, when people looking to make COG suits look through here, they see ALL THE DIFFERENT ways of making a suit, and they can pick their favorite....this thread also shows one different ways of getting the chest piece on. you sir are correct....you get TWO COOKIES!!!!

Was planning on making the Finix Breastplate Revised as my fist bit of Pepakura armour (complete newb here), and was wondering how my measurements match up the the default scaling?

Default Scaling:

H543

W587

D500

Me:

Head: 25"

Shoulders: 20"

Chest: 42"

Gut: 39"

Eventually I plan to have a custom look, and Marcus' is closest to what I want; hence my starting point.

Gearsofhalo said:
@spartan 0510....you know what, you are right! i overlooked those facts....also, when people looking to make COG suits look through here, they see ALL THE DIFFERENT ways of making a suit, and they can pick their favorite....this thread also shows one different ways of getting the chest piece on. you sir are correct....you get TWO COOKIES!!!!

but dont get me wrong i love seeing the other threads but i think if i got to do research i rather look at 1 thread with every thing not many

EDIT: an if any post there link ill be happy to edit the home page to other builds

Munkerz said:
Was planning on making the Finix Breastplate Revised as my fist bit of Pepakura armour (complete newb here), and was wondering how my measurements match up the the default scaling?

Default Scaling:

H543

W587

D500

Me:

Head: 25"

Shoulders: 20"

Chest: 42"

Gut: 39"

the fenix suit is scaled to someone that is 6'3" so can be scaled just like scaling the mark VI but if you dont want to work with math measure from the bottom of your ear to the bottom of your rib cage that will get you fairly close the width should be fine fits me like a glove

if you do some searching you can look up pb suit an he scaled it to around 5'9" so you can fug the numbers from there

Thanks Spartan.

At 5'10" I think setting the height to about 500 should be good, maybe a little less.

Unless by the bottom of your ribcage, you mean the solar plexus area?

In which case it's closer to 450.

I think he means the bottom of your ribs on the side. A lot of people seem to think that the breastplate goes to the waist, but in fact it sets higher to accommodate the belt. Good luck and keep us updated.

Maj. Pain

Major Pain said:
I think he means the bottom of your ribs on the side. A lot of people seem to think that the breastplate goes to the waist, but in fact it sets higher to accommodate the belt. Good luck and keep us updated.

Maj. Pain

Even through the disproportionate muscles displayed on GoW, it's pretty clear the breastplate doesn't go all the way down to the waist. So 500 is what I'm going for.

Anyway, thanks; and I will.

Now to buy some more printer ink and a good hundred-or-so sheets of card.

Munkerz said:
Even through the disproportionate muscles displayed on GoW, it's pretty clear the breastplate doesn't go all the way down to the waist. So 500 is what I'm going for.

Anyway, thanks; and I will.

Now to buy some more printer ink and a good hundred-or-so sheets of card.

major pain was right but i dont know if the breast plate does go always down i think there is come play room so take your distance from bottom of your rib cage and waste an divid that in half an add it to what mine came out ass

PSberetta said:
Don't know if I ever posted this but here is how mine turned out...

Always enjoy your suit did one hell of a job on it

ever going to do a run on those breast plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back