Fiberglass as a support shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtymatt89

Jr Member
i have switched form pep to molding, and after doing a few pieces, i am already nearly out of plasti-paste. is there anyway fiberglass cloth soaked in resin would work as a support shell? i have lots of it lying around, and it is too much trouble to order more plastipaste...

dirtymatt89 said:
i have switched form pep to molding, and after doing a few pieces, i am already nearly out of plasti-paste. is there anyway fiberglass cloth soaked in resin would work as a support shell? i have lots of it lying around, and it is too much trouble to order more plastipaste...

Sure you can do it this way. Fiberglass can make a nice mother mold \ shell mold. Using a material thats not fiberglass mat or cloth will give you varying results, and you may need to use more than one layer for strength and support, its not fun to have to keep making mold shells... but it can be done. Check out THorsolli's thread, he has several pictures of a fiberglass shell mold construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, thanks, that will surely save time and money. i found the plastipaste to be a nuisance, it was odd feeling and it just didnt seem to be as controllable as the fiberglass... and i actually bought one of those throssilli helmets, it is very nice but it is too dang cold here to paint it, which annoys me to no end...

dirtymatt89 said:
ok, thanks, that will surely save time and money. i found the plastipaste to be a nuisance, it was odd feeling and it just didnt seem to be as controllable as the fiberglass... and i actually bought one of those throssilli helmets, it is very nice but it is too dang cold here to paint it, which annoys me to no end...

You have to make sure that the resin wont make a chemical reaction with the silicone rubber... alltough highly unlikely.
Just make sure that you dont ruin your silicone mold okay?

-Fin(n)ish

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiberglass and resin makes a good strong, lightweight mother mold shell, although be carefull not to add too much hardener beccause that can make it shrink slightly.

Actually, using the method you're asking about is how a lot of the membership here make thier own armour. So yeah, that'll definately do the trick nicely... ;)

excellent, will do, i am almost ready to put the silicone on my chest, so i will post some progress pics as soon as i find out how...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back