Mini Tutorial : How to Organize your Workstation for Dummies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastSpartan

Sr Member
Here's some advices I can give you to speed up your progress, and help you!

1- The Shoe Box!

A shoe box is really useful. You can store almost every piece in it.

[attachment=3397:p6050114.JPG]
(All size works pretty good ;))

You can place all your sheets in there. Once it's cut, you need :

2- Ziploc sacs!
[attachment=3398:p6050115.JPG]
No more damaged pieces and you won't have to find the tiny little piece everybody lose all time.

Now, you have to organize your shoe box.

Create a enveloppe with paper and put inside all you need : 2 Stylos, Metal Ruler and Scissors.

3- Glue
[attachment=3399:p6050116.JPG]
I like to work on my pep in car. (When Passager of course!)

I use CA glue, Loctite Super Glue.

Of course, all type of glues are good. Make sure to isolate your glue (Not required for hot glue ;))

Please note, if you use CA glue, you need to wear glasses/respirator. CA glue makes a lot of fumes.

What is the avantages of a shoe box? You can bring it easily to your GF's familly when it gets boring. You can bring it in car. It's easy to bring with you. Depending of the box's size, you can store parts of your finished model.

As shown in this pic, The jaw of FS' model is kept safe inside. (Kinda deformed because I'm missing some pieces )
[attachment=3400:p6050117.JPG]

This was short, but trust me, it's speed things a lot. And your mom won't throw your pieces in the garbage anymore ;)

:lol: funny i already do this kind of thing while im at school because i have 5 classes of bs so all i do in class is pep

I already have been doing some of those things. Good ideas though :D. I remember you telling me you would make this topic way back when :p.

I prefer the giant workspace approach.. 2'X16' of benchtop basically lets me lay out everything for something I'm doing, no organizational overhead necessary. :rolleyes

Vrogy said:
I prefer the giant workspace approach.. 2'X16' of benchtop basically lets me lay out everything for something I'm doing, no organizational overhead necessary. :rolleyes
Evil..... hehe

I have a decently organized desktop, but nice tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let said my work place is note the coollest here. Is all on my computer desk, some time I have to search my keyboard and have a amount of paper on the floor with some pep in. :lol:
Most of the time I have to search 5min. to find my pep piece.

Pat

crackhead09 said:
:lol: funny i already do this kind of thing while im at school because i have 5 classes of bs so all i do in class is pep
Lol, I'm not THAT point addicted to Pep ;)

Robogenisis said:
I already have been doing some of those things. Good ideas though :D. I remember you telling me you would make this topic way back when :p.

Hehe ^^
Garzak said:
Let said my work place is note the coollest here. Is all on my computer desk, some time I have to search my keyboard and have a amount of paper on the floor with some pep in. :lol:
Most of the time I have to search 5min. to find my pep piece.

Pat
Me too, it was like this before ;)
Could you link me to your Smooth-On distributor?

cholo71796 said:
So simple, so obvious, but so useful and clever at the same time! Thanks, man!
Your welcome buddy ;)

Vrogy said:

Ha. I know exactly what you mean. At any given moment I have 15 different projects going and 3 or 4 workspaces with all the parts laid out with glue and junk all over the place.

I use my computer desk as well - and a cutting board I have to sand down every weekend to remove the gouges from my craft knife.

I cut one piece out at a time and stick it to the next, and slowly build up my armor that way. The rest of the pieces are kept on the paper until I need them and stored in a large green folder with the name of the model written on the back of every page so I won't mix them up, even though the folder has tabs for management.

Glue is kept on the shelf, board and craft knife under the keyboard (conveniently). No pepakura mess on my workspace.

crackhead09 said:

How the heck do you manage to get away with cutting and gluing paper in class?!

I could at least cut paper in class. They don't care. But I'd have to use scissors, because something tells me they wouldn't appreciate me wielding a box cutter in class :p.

Lol I would get a suspension in my school if I had any type of blade other than scissors. But even still, there is only one class I would be able to get away with anything like cutting paper and its world history. And even then, if the student teacher is in the room, he sits like right next to where I sit and he would say something along the lines of "Pay attention"...

Im homeschooled... Which means .... "huh ..what.. mom is gone..." looks around "Party time" skizers and paper come out and have some fun..."inlock. oh no..... hide.. oh wait I'll hide you..."

Lucky for me, my college has several spaces where I can store my supplies. We have a house for art majors, where you get a key, so I can store my stuff in the basement there. Art majors also are the only people on campus who actually get lockers, not to mention I have a whole apartment. My couch usually turns into my workbench.

But working on it in class, that just might work!

My desk has my completed pep helmets, my Ps2, and my tv, but no computer anymore. Damn thing crashed last year.
So, now if i want to do pep, i have to run up and down a flight of stairs to see my computer and bother whoever is on it :p
Im sure everyone at my house will appreciate when i get my own computer instead of cloggin up theirs.

Other than that, its actually very organized if a controller isnt on it from an all-night God of war fiesta ;)

Good tut, its sure to help those with very little knowledge in the ways of organization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back