Plaster mold tutorial!! (handplates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSpartan

Hi guys I made a plaster tutorial for you!
This is the 1st proper tutorial i made so please be nice :)
(Note i will redo the tutorial with more videos and pics)

In this tutorial i will show you how to make a plaster mold and cast it for 20USD! (using plaster)
But in this case i'm quite sure many of the people on this website have most of the materials.
The total cost for me was 2USD wich was for the plaster (that is i already had most of the other materials needed)

You will need the following items:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljy-q6vUasU
(if you cannot watch the youtube you will need:
Water, container, the part you will mold (in my case handplate), masking tape, olive oil (release agent), Plaster)

This is what i will be molding:
IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

1st: Take your container, fill it with 1 part water, and 2 parts plaster (or as stated on the plaster instructions)
add the water 1st then slowly add the plaster, while mixing thouroghly.

You will need to now brush olive oil onto the model, (handplate) it will work as a release agent.) you can use other professional release agents, i used olive oil because i couldnt find any other suitable release agent in my hardware store.
You will need to make a sealed area where you can put the mold and pour the plaster on.
(i made the square from masking tape, (painters tape))
Here is a picture after adding the plaster: (note: the plaster has been poured untop of the hand plate)
IMG_1901.jpg

The plaster has to be added in gently and slow, and in the beginning you need to use a brush to get all the details and avoid air bubbles.

After this you are finished! just wait for the plaster to dry (usually 30 minutes unless otherwise stated) And take the clay off!
It will look like this:
IMG_1903.jpg

That's right! the plaster captured perfectly all the detail! (sorry for blurry Image)

TUOTORIAL: Part 2, Casting
For the casting you will need RONDO (mud, mixture of resin and bondo) or any other strong liquid plastic you like.
1st take your olive oil or other release agent, brush it onto the mold (use alot of it, but not too much)
Then take your mold and mix the Rondo or plastic and pour it into the mold:
IMG_1908.jpg

After the rondo has cured (after about 15 minutes) You will just simply need to pull out the cast:

When finished it should look like this:
IMG_1910.jpg

Happy casting! :)

-Fin(n)ish

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if its just me but i cant see the photos.
Also the video is a little dark you should film it during the day with sun light
Otherwise its good.
Also dosent this only provide one cast?

Edit: I can see them now

Spartas Phalanx said:
I don't know if its just me but i cant see the photos.
Also the video is a little dark you should film it during the day with sun light
Otherwise its good.
Also dosent this only provide one cast?

Edit: I can see them now
Yeah the images should show up, (the video is a little dark but i will re-film it... i'm going to spring brak and i'm going to be off the internet for 2 weeks :( (sad face microsoft sam voice))

This will provide multiple casts, all you need to make sure is that you use the release agent, so that it will come off.

-Fin(n)ish

You should retake some photos. Some are just too blurry.

Like clay handplate and the final cast.

And this should be in the molded section, not noob.

You are over 50 posts, you can post elsewhere.

LastSpartan said:
You should retake some photos. Some are just too blurry.

Like clay handplate and the final cast.

And this should be in the molded section, not noob.

You are over 50 posts, you can post elsewhere.
(Note i will redo the tutorial with more videos and pics)
I will re do it as i said...

-Fin(n)ish

You may not want to fill it up solid for a hand playe, you dont want it thick, you want it slightly hollow so your hands can fit into it, you want it to be part of your costume, not sitting ontop of the glove.

But nice tutorial, my only complaint is the sound on the video is too loud, even on the lowest youtube sound setting, it blew my ears out.

olive oil? i never thought that would work lol, and vaseline and petroleum jelly are the same thing arent they? so they should both work as release agents yes? nice tut btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back