Tutorial: Pepakura building for dummies (or noobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats this was great i can really use your tips in here since im new to this and all but i have the concept down but i wasnt sure the tools or even the understanding how to put it all together this helps out a ton ty again

Okay, so, GREAT info on the actual construction, but about the pep files themselves-where do we find them? Where do we download them? Should we have an office supply store print them out, and on what? Do we need to buy software? And are there any Iron Man pep files out there? Be gentle with me, it's my first time...

Have a look here for a huge file with loads of stuff in it... http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31762-Free-pepakura-files

If you want more pepakura files try looking over at the RPF forum where there's all sorts of builds going on, I personally am doing a MKIII Iron Man suit from the files that Dancing Fool, Dung0Beetle and Robo posted. Alternatively here's a link to one of the Iron Man costume forums where you can ask more questions about the costume build... http://siwdat.com/forum/index.php

-morfdogg

Where and what should I be printing out my pepaura on?
Where? Your printer ;)
What? 110lb card stock is what most people use...
Hope this helps!

Wow, thank you so much. I read the whole thing and I completely understand the construction process however I don't know what program to use to open the files. Can anyone recomend any for a complete noob?

I am finally about to start making my very first piece of armor :D I am going to start with the Smooth Recon Helmet. I havent printed the pep file yet tho because my printer is broken so tomorrow or later tonite I am going to the library to print it. I already have a bondo starter kit that came with 8oz of fiberglass resin, liquid harderner, 3 sq ft of fiberglass cloth, plastic spreader, mixing stick, instructional booklet (for bondo not for armor making lol) and mixing tray. I do understand that after I fiberglass the helmet I am going to need to put "bondo" on it now this is were I EASILY get confused, when ppl just say bondo what is it? I have come to believe its similar to Joint Compound so I think its a putty type deal but I just need to know what is the exact name of the item i should pick up at my local hardware store

The cardstock is stronger than normal paper and won't warp when you resin it. Generally, it is better to use the cardstock.

On the step two picture of the assembly part, there is a spot to cut at the bottom middle. I see those type of cuts a lot, and to me it looks like you just cut it, and glue it right back together. Would it be a better idea to just crease those spots rather than taking them apart and putting them right back?

Would it be a better idea to just crease those spots rather than taking them apart and putting them right back?

Yes. I wouldn't cut lines like these, I would only crease and lightly fold them.

The cut line essentially overlaps a fold line for a tab that is hidden behind the other edge. venture drew up an example of this in another thread that illustrates it well (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33283-Help-with-Pepakura-Cuts-and-Folds?p=550056#post550056).

I'm fairly new to Pepakura, just discovered that it existed last week. I'm making the IronMan Mark 6 helmet right now. Already done peping, used very thin layers of hot glue, then went crazy and put a whole lot of glue in the inside. I have some glassing experince (made a hood and side skirts of rmy car), but heres my dilema, I resined the outside, that went smoothly. after a day I tried glassing the inside and some (although just a few parts) loosened up. Been trying to find an answer for this, but cant find anything.

Does the glue melt from the resin? or I just didnt glue it right?

I put some wire inside the thing and glued it in (to avoid warping I guess), the whole thing held up pretty nicely, again except for some. Do you guys have any tips? Wanna start building an entire War Machine armor, dont really wanna encounter this problem in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back