Tutorial: Pepakura building for dummies (or noobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumdinki said:
Just a quick question: What would the estimated cost be for an Exacto-Knife? I know that my father has one, but I'd like to have my own to work on this project.
You can use a box cutter too and the heavy-duty one costs only about $2 or $3.

Gumdinki said:
Oh, almost forgot; could anyone point me in the right direction for the most accurate helmet piece? Maybe supply me with the link?
Look for flying_squirl's thread in the Pepakura and Cardboard Armor section. Use the key words "custom", "high", "detail" and "helmet" when you do the search. This should be a good opportunity for you to learn how to use the search function of the boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the direction.

Another question: I noticed that most of the layouts are specified for A4 andsuch. Can anyone give me a pointer onto what that would be? There's also the folded model that is to be downloaded; Click for File; what program would be best to view it?

Gumdinki said:
Another question: I noticed that most of the layouts are specified for A4 andsuch. Can anyone give me a pointer onto what that would be?
Actually, most of the files are in letter format. If you're in the US, use this format. Otherwise, use A4 paper size.

Gumdinki said:
There's also the folded model that is to be downloaded; Click for File; what program would be best to view it?
Pepakura Designer 2.

I highly recommend that you read ALL the stickies (posts labeled as "Pinned") in the Pepakura and Cardboard Armor section. Twice (I'm dead serious about this). All of your questions have already been answered there.

AHEM...thank you ral, i can handle it from here :p

go to the pepakura and cardboard forum. Go to How to Use Pepakura to make your MJOLNIR armor tutorial by frizzlefry, EVERYTHING you will ask is there. this is a continuation of that exact topic, for those who need help after that.

exacto knives are cheap, but you need a certain blade for your handle, so remember it!

...funny....i already fumed on one noob today, your life is spared.

its called PEPAKURA DESIGNER 2 by TamaSoft in Japan. its freeware, until you want to save and export files. then its thirty bucks, but its a small price for such a big program.

why do you think we call it PEPAKURA building?

rvb4life said:
lolz if people have questions about it they obviously didnt read it.
But if they do, LET THEM BE HEARD NOW.
i
i'm new to this, do u need to put fiberglass on after folding???
and if u do, how do u do it???????????

im not there yet, wait a few weeks for a tut on fiberglassing, my cash is low right now, so i have no money for supplies.

if i make a tutorial, its gonna probably be in video format, maybe on youtube too.

if ANYONE wants to add to this, i welcome anything useful :D

Hello, i'm new here and wish I would have known about this site sooner. I taught myself the pep basics and how to scale parts to make them fit. After many not so good attempts at parts and low quality pep files i've learned a few tips and tricks that I though I should pass on.

1.) While the pen idea works, it makes it more difficult to see the fold lines. I reccomend using a pin vise. Use a ruler and to avoid puncturing the paper or whatever media you are working withlay it at a sharp angle. I get much crisper folds using this method. (Go to radioshack, they sell a small hobby knife kit with assorted blades and scribing tools for about 5 bucks)

2.) Instead of hot glue, use Gel Super Glue, but before purchasing a ton of it to complete your pieces make sure it works with paper, believe it or nto nto all super glue is the same, some works on paper, some doesnt. (Get a 6 pack of super glue at walgreens for 3 dollars. If you use it sparingly 3 tubes should be enough for the larger parts. plus no skin loss!)

3.) I have found that using a cutting board there is more play working with the knife making it difficult at times to make a straight cut without using a straight edge. Although it may seem odd, I use old hardcover books to do all of my cutting on. The blade penetrated the cover of the book slightly along with the paper making it more stable straight cuts.

dude need help. ur thing was specific but i don't know how to do the "print out parts" or "pepakura desinger with file open" could u help me?

like i said, this thread is just for after you have the printed out parts.

the tutorial in the pepakura section answers your questions.

Hey man,
This is a wicked website!
I have always wanted to make a Star Wars stormtrooper suit of armour but ever since I got my first X-box, Master Chief superceded it. I was never quite sure how to go about it though, the stormtrooper guys use the clay mold and Vacu-forming process and I just don't have the time, space or money for that even though it looks amazing. Pepakura seems like it should be just the ticket :)
I am still working through the forums here so no stupid questions from me yet but I just wanted to say thanks for being here. Last year I made an Optimus Prime outfit from Tri-wall boxes and papier masche and everyone loved it, I can't imagine how they will react to a 6' Spartan this year!!
One thing I may need some help with is how to get a cool picture down the side of the post pages. I am pretty much a computer retard (no offense intended!).
Catch you guys later :)

Hey guys im really noobie and about Pepakura im wondering if anyone knows a way to fix a problem im having when I print the pages it does not print the numbers and iv clicked the button and set every thing up but still nothing? If anybody has anything just let me know :D

Pirate117 said:
Hey guys im really noobie and about Pepakura im wondering if anyone knows a way to fix a problem im having when I print the pages it does not print the numbers and iv clicked the button and set every thing up but still nothing? If anybody has anything just let me know :D
Configuration --> Edge ID Configuration --> Show Edge ID.

:rolleyes
ALL of this info has been covered in length quite a few times, even in all the stickies. I have said it before and ill say it again,, there needs to be one MAIN tutorial that covers just about everything from start to finished model. and once that tutorial is done, it should be added to the wiki.

fyi, in my opinion its better to cut and score all the pieces before you start gluing.

your a bit late to the party, danni.

this was probably the first in-depth tut that covered building the models after printing, and i have claims that this stuff works.

but, i agree we need a master tut, and i am not going near that wiki. its too damn confusing.

rvb4life said:
your a bit late to the party, danni.

this was probably the first in-depth tut that covered building the models after printing, and i have claims that this stuff works.

but, i agree we need a master tut, and i am not going near that wiki. its too damn confusing.
First of all, im not 'late' to anything, i have been a member for longer than you, and have been doing papercraft since i was your age. There have been plenty of tutorials like this. this tutorial simply has things taken from several tutorials that are already pinned topics.

i printed out the pep for a halo 1 marine helmet and put it together. It even looks pretty good :D
but it's not very stable because paper bends. :(
so i was wandering do you print it on regular printing paper or on something thicker?

please help me

-Poko

Hey thank for the help Ral its working fine now and iv started to make a Recon helm and sorry for not getting back so quickly :)

dannifood4less said:
First of all, im not 'late' to anything, i have been a member for longer than you, and have been doing papercraft since i was your age. There have been plenty of tutorials like this. this tutorial simply has things taken from several tutorials that are already pinned topics.
okay, okay, calm down. Sorry for taking it in the wrong direction. And, yes, i did use parts of other tutorials, but this one explains it in a simplified way. in fact, the only better one is Crackhead's, and thats a video.

and again, i agree we need a master tutorial, but at this point it will just clutter up the pinned threads list, and im no good at editing wiki's, so i cant do that.
and i understand you have been doing papercraft for a long time. im not bashing your skill level, im just taking my prior knowledge and passing it through a simplified and easy way, hence the name "Pepakura building for dummies".

all right, lets all stop fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back