3DS MAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

death

I downloaded and purchased 3ds max the other day and I have to say it's really complicated! Or I'm just stupid. I got some tutorials and even some videos but they don't help me much. Does anyone know where I can find some REALLY straight forward tutorials? I can make shapes and stuff but I can't figure out how to edit them. Like I made a sphere for the helmet to try it out and I don't know how to carve some out for the visor or even to hone it down to the basic shape of the helm.

you dont start by modelling helmets, start modelling things like candle holders and car tires, there are thousands of modelling tutorials online, or read the manual.

You bought it? You lucky bastard :p.

I learned 3ds Max just by experimenting (try to see what every feature does [impossible :p]), and I took two, 3 week summer classes on 3D modeling. If you can find a class thing like that, it'll help so much.

Lol thanks. I don't know where I would be able to find a 3d modeling class, but... wait a sec, my mom modeled kitchens for a career lmao. Maybe she can help but in the meantime ill be looking for tuts and videos.

death said:
I downloaded and purchased 3ds max the other day and I have to say it's really complicated!

Robogenisis said:
You bought it? You lucky bastard :p.

Yeah, you better be doing a LOT of 3D modeling to justify the cost of that program. ;)

3D modeling is not something you learn overnight but for tutorials, try going to turbosquid.com and browse their selection. And like NZ-TK has said, try something simple and not a lot of details. Taking classes is also better than simply learning it on your own because of its structured instruction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya... I was just gonna do i super low detail helmet but ill check out that site. thanks for the link

#1. No one believe you bought it.

#2... shrink your signature or death will find you.

Lol ok, Adam sorry ill shrink it. And I promise I bought it. Not that that has much effect XD
EDIT: That better? The other stuff was kinda stupid anyway. lol

When you first start modelling, just play with the primitives, get a feel for what they do, start clicking and trying the various types of tools, learn to navigate the interface. Remember its just a program so you cant break anything. there are a lot of instructional videos on youtube and there are many 3d forums with tonnes of written and filmed tutorials, or you could buy some of the Gnomon workshop modeling DVD sets. they are expensive but, if you can survive those (some are 30+ hours) you can model anything.

I rented some videos from www.smartflix.com - that'll teach you some basic stuff I think. I guess a class would be easiest, or just grab an old fashioned book about it.

I'm in the same boat as you are :)

Yeah i have a class at school i am taking now. I am making a UPS truck to go with the box i made yesterday. It's a sick box. I also am making a Republic commando. The helmet is **** hard. I dont even know how to make it. I was using planes. But the armor pieces are more simple. I use maya at school but i have Rhino 3d on my pc. So go figure!

NZ-TK said:
When you first start modelling, just play with the primitives, get a feel for what they do, start clicking and trying the various types of tools, learn to navigate the interface. Remember its just a program so you cant break anything. there are a lot of instructional videos on youtube and there are many 3d forums with tonnes of written and filmed tutorials, or you could buy some of the Gnomon workshop modeling DVD sets. they are expensive but, if you can survive those (some are 30+ hours) you can model anything.

I dont know NZTK if you were able to afford Max i think you can spend a little extra on dvds that my be a little high

I with every one with taking a class i wanted to but could not fit the class with my schedule

Check out 3D total.com and try something that is really daunting, ex: Try doing some character modeling after you do what NZ-TK suggested.

You'll learn the tools fast and you'll make a buttload of mistakes. I'd also recommend taking drawing classes and perhaps even messing around with sculpture.

If ya have some expendable income, look into the Gnomon workshop DVDs, the have some free video tutorials as well.

There is no easy way to learn any 3D program, you just have to invest hundred even thousands of hours learning.

Skullcandy Girl said:
There is no easy way to learn any 3D program, you just have to invest hundred even thousands of hours learning.

And you for got the hundreds to even thousands of dollars to buy the software

Yeah, if he can afford to buy the software then I'm sure he can afford to buy training.

Me, I would have just downloaded the free 30 day trial to 3D SMax so he can train using that. Would have saved him the 10's of thousands of dollars he saved from his pocket money over the years :p

OR....if your like me.....and have connections, you can be a (YARRR!!!!!!!!) pirate!
besides, open source sharing connects the world!! im not an advocate, just a user.

Im in your same field when it comes to learning, i joined Max-realms.com, they have tutorials and junk and its free to join, plus free models!

I also *cough* aquired *cough* a copy of the 3ds max 8 bible, its a thousand pages of complicated stuff......

just light reading for me :p

please dont kill me before the US government crushes me and my feeble mind.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Check out 3D total.com and try something that is really daunting, ex: Try doing some character modeling after you do what NZ-TK suggested.

You'll learn the tools fast and you'll make a buttload of mistakes. I'd also recommend taking drawing classes and perhaps even messing around with sculpture.

If ya have some expendable income, look into the Gnomon workshop DVDs, the have some free video tutorials as well.

thats.... prity much what i was guna say. XD

also its a very good thing to keep in mind that this was created by people just like everyone else and its been around for a good while, therefore, prity much eveything you want to do can be done and its been put in a logical place.
ie:i want to bend this cylinder... id select it, go to modifyer list (cuz i want to modify it :)) then ide look for a modifyer called bend... and hey lukadat! its there. change the ammount and direction to my liking :)

but theres nothin like someone being there to show you!

Adam: ur learnin 3d max?

Lol ya, you all assume that since i bought the software i have enough to pay for classes and stuff. Just the opposite actually, since i bought the software, I don't plan to make any expenses larger than cardstock and printer ink for a good while lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back