Epiphany and "Matched metal molding"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericm

Just found some paystubs from a former employer, a defense contractor that builds missle parts for the "Javelin" anti armor missle. The companies name "Sparta, Inc" It didnt even dawn on me till after I shredded them (they're way old). They also have The most #itchenest composite fab shop. If I were to build a working suit of MC armor it would be there. They use a method called matched metal molding , very similar to vacuforming but with metal molds and external pressure instead of vacuum . Great parts very little "flash"and tons of detail , but well over a hundred K for each machine :shock: . This is kinda sick though , they used to make land mines as well as prosthetic limbs , under the same very large roof. :wtf: Anyways thought it was kinda strange to find that stuff now.

Harbinger

Metal

For the mold or the armor??

For the mold the ones that we were using are made of Inconel If I remember correctly , They are super scratch resistant what ever their made of and a serious pain to weld. The were made to stand up to 50,000 psi I believe but we didnt run them that high . For real complex shapes we had molds that we preloaded with material then partially assembled then placed in the mother mold to formed and cured.
The armor thats a whole nother issue , making something that can be "bullet resistant" can get you more attention from the authorities than you want . But my choices would be something like the "Dragon Skin" ceramic compound under replaceable hard plates as first , then just formed ceramic plates and lastly metal plates of anykind due to the weight factor.

Harbinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back