Daft Punk Helmet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for being kinda completely not here the past 2 days...been kinda busy at home and $#!T...

Anyways, here's my progress so far:

progress2ov0.jpg

Mat on the inside, cloth on the outside, and 2 layers of Bondo and still smoothing (on the back, front is still sitting at 1 or none).

Yes, the cheek area is not flat, but I due to the layer of glass on the outside, I can build it up with Bondo...so no real worries. This helmet is going to require some Pep and fiberglass/Bondo experience, but still not that hard IMO...of course, I did a lot of auto detailing thanks to that huge import scene rush like 6 years ago...lol.

Looks good! Mine's drying with a layer of resin on the inside right now. I've also got a test print of the ears, I plan on having them done sometime this week. We got SAT 10 testing this week though, so i'll be pretty busy.

i am DEF diggin' these.
after i finish my Mark VI helm pep.
i might just have to do this.
i love daft punk.

Just thought I'd update on the helmets.

20xx on 4chan/another forum said:
Current modeling work on my new Pepakura helmets:

Original Guy-Man

Current Guy-Man

And the two of them side by side making the original look absolutely terrible.

List of differences:

Re-proportioned body, increased rear bar angle, addition of bottom angle (sloping jaw), widened main ear panels, enlarged/extended ears (the unnecessary and shape warping backing has been removed as well), more accurate wire panel attachment points and, last but not least, simplified LEDs and rods that can actually be folded by human hands!
Only been doing this in my spare time in little spurts, progressing quickly nonetheless, hope to have finished both Human After All models within two weeks, then it's on to the light-up Discovery versions. If I'm up to it I may complete Guy-Man's Disc hand plates and possibly both of their Discovery-era backpacks and gauntlets. Feedback?

Last edited by a moderator:
20xx said:
Just thought I'd update on the helmets.
Only been doing this in my spare time in little spurts, progressing quickly nonetheless, hope to have finished both Human After All models within two weeks, then it's on to the light-up Discovery versions. If I'm up to it I may complete Guy-Man's Disc hand plates and possibly both of their Discovery-era backpacks and gauntlets. Feedback?

I'm liking it...a bit more smoother which will help with the patterning...and I totally feel ya on the modeling work...pain in the ass it is...lol.

I think what you guys are doing here is great, I'm currently working on making guys helmet for the game second life but i can't find any good profile shots to model with. what programs do you guys use and do you know of anyway to import the files to blender?

Roegge, you'd have to get the 3d model of course, not the pep file to get it into blender. Something like a 3ds. (Still waiting for one of those, by the way :p

More progress (been messing around with the Samus files so I kinda ignored this guy for a while...):

progress3hp6.jpg

4ng31 said:
More progress (been messing around with the Samus files so I kinda ignored this guy for a while...):

progress3hp6.jpg

Impressive!

What did you use to consolidate the structure?

Nikoms said:
Impressive!

What did you use to consolidate the structure?

The base is card stock made from the pattern I posted up on the first page with some slight modifications. Then I fiberglassed the inside with mat, and coated the outside with cloth. I then put a few thin layers of Bondo on, and used paperclay to smooth it. Once I get more to finish the other ear and cheek, I will resin on top of that and then paint.

4ng31 said:
The base is card stock made from the pattern I posted up on the first page with some slight modifications. Then I fiberglassed the inside with mat, and coated the outside with cloth. I then put a few thin layers of Bondo on, and used paperclay to smooth it. Once I get more to finish the other ear and cheek, I will resin on top of that and then paint.

Thanks for all those informations!

I tried with the second pattern... And it's too little for me. Maybe I will restart from the beginning and try the one you used... Do you know if the first one is bigger?

tech.2.0 said:
Thanks for the Guy and Thomas' helmet specs.
I'm working on a suit for my nephew.
He's siked about it.
Thanks.
nice wats is the scale for this im hold on *draws ruffling for tape measure*...................bac...im 5 ft 5

korekillerking said:
nice wats is the scale for this im hold on *draws ruffling for tape measure*...................bac...im 5 ft 5

There's no real overall scale, as it's only a helmet, so the best bet is to go with the general size (which I believe is the 28cm in height) and if too small, move up...if too big...move down. There haven't been too many builds of the helms yet here, so it's basically all still guess and test.

I used a 28cm height for mine and it worked great (remember, most of the neck and back of the head is exposed while they wear these, hence why they also have hoods/ribbed collars on at the same time).

Almost done smoothing it...needs a little bit more fine sanding...but it should be resin'd withing a day or so:

progress4tr2.jpg

korekillerking said:
You should be fine with the existing scale unless you've got a head much larger or differently shaped than mine. I'm 5'4" and that's me in the pics of my first post. I also have about a foot and a half of hair twisted up out of the way adding a bit of height to my head, so I think you should be in the clear.

nightpicnic said:
dude omg those are awesome all u need now is to make backpack and glove files and if u add a suit u got daft punk!
Glove files are done and linked in one my earlier posts; just print two copies, fold one in reverse, then work your guys' magic on them.

The backpacks, however, are still only floating about my computer's hard drive. It's mostly modeled, I just need to plant myself and finish the side slots. Then it's onto the gauntlets, which should be fun. :whistle:

Somewhat related, I started modeling Iron Man (and have the helm almost completed) with plans to complete the entire body for Pepakura, until it hit me that the video game uses pared down ILM files, so ripping that would yield a higher quality/more accurate file. I'll continue work if it turns out they can't be ripped, but yeah, I was a bit pissed when that little nugget of wisdom hammered its way into my skull earlier today.

4ng31 said:
Almost done smoothing it...needs a little bit more fine sanding...but it should be resin'd withing a day or so:

progress4tr2.jpg
Looking good, man. Personally, I'm waiting for the new models to come out before I move ahead. So, while I wish I had some progress to report, looking at your pics is more than enough to hold me over until 20xx (AKA the most awesome person on the face of the earth) releases the new Bangalter helmet model.

Keep up the good work.

-Nick

foxymcfox said:
So, while I wish I had some progress to report, looking at your pics is more than enough to hold me over until 20xx (AKA the most awesome person on the face of the earth) releases the new Bangalter helmet model.
Thanks, dude. I'll update as soon as I can.

Long time, no bump.

Here is the finished product:

helmfinishedmu4.jpg

All done with Pep with the slight modifications I mentioned in the original few posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back