Daft Punk Helmet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
dafted2.jpg

dafted.jpg

dafted4.jpg

dafted3.jpg

after fiberglassing and some aquaresin. + spackle...
i didnt do the ears because i had found these plastic cups that i had glued on.. they are semitransparent and im gonna put LED's in them so they change color in the parts that i dont paint

Hi guys, first post here after studying every page for the last few hours.

This thread has gotten me inspired to attempt the Guy-Man helmet for Otakon, but I have a mac and cant download the files you guys use. Is there anyway to get these printouts as a jpg or illustrator file for printing?

Any help would be awesome.

Instant Classic said:
Hi guys, first post here after studying every page for the last few hours.

This thread has gotten me inspired to attempt the Guy-Man helmet for Otakon, but I have a mac and cant download the files you guys use. Is there anyway to get these printouts as a jpg or illustrator file for printing?

Any help would be awesome.

http://rapidshare.com/files/129001272/Guy-Man_Final.eps.html

i just saved the PDO file as a eps.. so... u can open it in illustrator.. but its not separated in pages youll hafto do that yourself.
beware.. the NEW guymanuel helmet is like 20 pages....

if anybody would simplify the pdo file that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much, now i gotta figure out how to do this all

*Edit*

Ive been looking at it and going over the scaling guide yet i dont know what size of paper i should print this on to fit my head.

my head is 59cm around...big head lol

If we want to make truly accurate helmets we still need to figure out the original size of the helmets. For that, we need something in the images of the helmets to draw a scale from. One possibility would be to use the encore helmets as a reference. I know that Enlighted used "normal thickness" EL wire, which is 2.3 mm. I also know that two pieces fit almost perfectly, one on top of another, inside of the mouth hole of Bangalter's helmet. That means that the mouth slit of Bangalter's helmet is 4.6 mm tall (Give or take...most likely give). If anyone wants to go ahead and figure out the scale from there...feel free. I would, but am on vacation and thus don't have access to any of my reference materials. If no one wants to do it, I'll jump on it the moment I get home. Once done we have the potential to make helmets exactly the same size as the originals.

-Nick

EDIT: Based on what few images I have at my disposal, I've found that the mouth plate is between 10 and 11 mouth slits tall. Putting the mouth piece (Including the little chin piece at the bottom) between about 4.6 and 5.06 centimeters (1.811 and 1.992 inches respectively), but it could be as high as 5.5 cm assuming that the mouth slit is slightly larger than estimated. So, my current estimate of the mouth piece would put it at 4.83 centimeters (1.9 inches) tall. If anyone comes up with different numbers, let me know. I really want to get some good hard data on the real helmets before moving ahead with my own build.

Well, I just started making my helmet, the Guy Man one, and Its coming along pretty well!
I made the backpack, and it has speakers so it can play dp while I walk around, but I need help with the gloves.
how can I do that?

yomilomi said:
Well, I just started making my helmet, the Guy Man one, and Its coming along pretty well!
I made the backpack, and it has speakers so it can play dp while I walk around, but I need help with the gloves.
how can I do that?

which pep file are you using for the guy man one?
the second one is sooo complicated, but i think im going to try to use that one instead of the simple one just because its more accurate and sexier.

Hey everyone, new here, and to Papercraft in general. It's pretty fun!

I've made the Guy-Man V2 helmet, and would just like to give some advice and info I've gleaned from my sizing trial-and-error.

First, I'll say that if you're planning to make this helmet, you definitely need to scale it down, unless you're 7-8 feet tall. I had to scale it down from 27.5cm to 22cm (that's 20%!) The Guy-Man helmet is supposed to fit pretty closely around the head, and by the time I bondo and vacu-form it, it will be plenty big (it already fits over my head just fine). And just for reference, I'm 6'3" tall, and my head is 22in around (or about 56cm), so I'm of larger than average build and still needed to scale down a lot.

Also important is the fact that the pattern is flipped around when you open the file, so be sure to hit the "flip development" button and rearrange the pieces before you print. I got mine down to 8 pages (from 20 pages!).

Here's a picture showing the 27.5cm helmet vs the 22cm build

photobucket1.jpg

And here's one of me wearing the helmet (sans the ear pieces).

photobucket2.jpg

I hope this helps some people save time by giving a better idea of scale to eliminate some trial-and-error :)

~Bane

Bane said:
Also important is the fact that the pattern is flipped around when you open the file, so be sure to hit the "flip development" button and rearrange the pieces before you print. I got mine down to 8 pages (from 20 pages!).
Here's a picture showing the 27.5cm helmet vs the 22cm build

photobucket1.jpg

And here's one of me wearing the helmet (sans the ear pieces).
~Bane

did you hafto simplify the shapes at all? or join any edges? the file looks sooo complicated that i hesitate to try it.

edatron said:
which pep file are you using for the guy man one?
the second one is sooo complicated, but i think im going to try to use that one instead of the simple one just because its more accurate and sexier.

its WAY sexier :lol:
But yeah, im doing v2 everyone else is doing, and im putting lights into it.
and its kinda..... flat, so im gonna wrap model magic around the "bars"
then comes the plaster of paris, and vinyl spackle!
i hope it works.

I didn't simplify it or join any faces. It fits together just fine, even though it is complicated! Expect to spend around 5-6 hours putting it together though :)

~Bane

Bane said:
I didn't simplify it or join any faces. It fits together just fine, even though it is complicated! Expect to spend around 5-6 hours putting it together though :)

~Bane
:eek:
It took me like a WHOLE WEEK!
lol
lazy bum loma.

Well, I started my latest Bangalter helmet off by using LuchoFunk's pattern, but the perfectionist in me kept noticing tiny details that needed fixing (The width of the mouth, the height of the visor, etc). So, taking all that could be learned from Lucho's model, the original pep model, a mostly-finished foam sculpt of mine, and various scratch builds that I attempted throughout the past few months, I created this:

Photo205.jpg

Photo207.jpg

...You'll note that the pattern is actually hand drawn. I like doing things old school.

It's not 100%, but it's as close as I can come...with paper anyway :p

I'm going to run down to my local sporting goods store sometime this week to grab a batting helmet. Hopefully within the next week or two, I should have a resined helm to show off.

...Wish me luck.

^-^Foxy~>

Sorry, for the double post, but I thought I'd give you guys a little status update...

I just need to glue in one more piece, then I'm on to resining, glassing, and bondoing. Here is my helm as it is now:

Photo216.jpg

I bought a batting helmet (Youth sized) and found it to be too large. However, while digging through some boxes, I found a non-protective commemorative souvenir Baltimore Orioles batting helmet (The type that they always sell at the stadium). It was the perfect size, just a little short. I would recommend that anyone looking to make a helmet as accurate as possible consider trying to find one. You have to extend the back of it (As you can see taped on in my pic) but it's not that big of a hassle.

I'll keep you guys up to date as I progress.

...now if you don't mind, I have to get back to some hot gluing.

^-^Foxy~>

Hey guys,

Just found this thread via Google as I am thinking about constructing a Guy Man helmet (the newer one), however I will be using completely different techniques than you guys.

I am basically looking for source files to work from, and I can see that it looks like some basic 3d models were done. Are those accessible anywhere online? I'll be modeling mine in 3ds max, and I would love a basic 3d reference if it exists. I would also like profile/front/top views/outlines/schematics of the Guy Man helmet.

Anyone have any of this? I saw the PDO files but they appear to be the flattened version of their 3d original unless I am missing something. Thanks a lot and great work! Very inspiring.

Here's a quick little update from me before moving on to bondoing:

Picture1-10.png

I cut the brim supports out rather quickly, I still have to do a finish job of it with a Dremel. So far, I've cut, glued, resined, glassed, and cut again. All that's left is Bondo, sand, primer, Bondo, sand, primer, Bondo, sand, primer, Bondo, sand, primer, and maybe sand again.

^-^Foxy~>

Hi, your forum is great! im wanting to make a daft punk helmet but having read the last few pages i have gotten abit lost. I want to make the silver one ( sorry dont know the correct name). I tried to download the template from the 1st page, but it is in pdo format which i carnt open. Can anyone send me the file in a format that i can easily open and print?

Thanks

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back