Daft Punk Helmet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished up the main body of my helmet and I'm going to probably start trying to work out a simpler ear, because the ones from the original model are insanely complex...at least to me, then again, I am a pepakura n00b.

Here is the helmet as it is now:
Photo159.jpg

I can't wait to finish this thing up and be a huge nerd by wearing it.

-Nick

spartan 300 said:
How do i get visor for this?!?!? :eek:

Build it, fiberglass it, bondo it, and then cut it out, and vacuum form...lol.

That's how I would do it at least.

Also, my Thomas helmet is covered in Bondo, will have pics later after I'm done working on this guitar for the gf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Rogue said:
4ng, do you have the 3d models of the Thomas' helmet? It'd help with ear scaling.

I believe I have them on my PC (I'm on my Mac currently). Let me give a look here after lunch and I'll put them up on RS if I got em.

Alright, thanks. I think I've almost got the ears worked out, and my Thomas helmet is sitting with it's first coat of resin currently.

thanks for the pdo's im going to work on guy's then thomas later

I got to luck on where to get the visor and the 3d models

this is just one more thing that going to slow me down from gears stuff

Hey guys, I'm the person who made the files and posted them in /po/. Here are the completed models:

http://rapidshare.com/files/104193350/Daft...thomas.zip.html

Still not perfect, but a lot better. Some pics have been posted in the /po/ thread on 4chan, along with the templates for the hand plates. I also posted a rough Optimus Prime helm there as well.

1207224326884gg4.png

It's awesome to see more people constructing my helmets! :D

http://rapidshare.com/files/104206185/daft..._hands.pdo.html

This is the one that's been scaled up properly and been labeled. The shapes are there, it really just needs to be textured, as opposed to the helmets, which need Thomas' ears toned down and Guy-Man's ear ECGs pushed out further. Maybe those two wires just got crossed when I was modeling them. o_O

Anyway, that's the right hand, just mirror it for the left and ignore the crudeness, I don't know how to eliminate extraneous polys in pep, as the hand was my third pepakura model after the helmets. Anh1l1at1on on 4chan was a huge help in making these actually work.

thank you very much sir. as you can see I have the helmet done but have been too lazy to do the gloves. backwards, I know. hah.

4ng that is a well-built pep, props.

looking closely, the jaw pieces aren't flat? I'd remedy that by widening the front mouth piece - imo it's too narrow. just thought I'd point that out. :)

Yeah, the sides aren't flat, couldn't remedy that in the modeling stage. But no, the mouth isn't too thin, the ears just throw the whole thing out of whack. The real mouth plate really is quite thin on the real deal, even more apparent now that the HAA helm no longer has the sentai mouth but just a slit. Clear photography is also lacking, to the state where the merge point between the back of the ears and the rear dome on Thomas was filled in with detail from the Medicom figures.

The EL-wired versions they use for the their encore during tours and at the Grammy's highlight the angles usually hidden in the chrome and flashy lighting.

I'd reproduce the Disc versions, but I didn't think the lighting would transfer well to paper form, along with a slew of other details. Guy-man's dome isn't even fully seated within the gold frame in Disc, it sat above with a visible gap partially covered by rubber lining! And of course, for completion's sake, there's also the tubing, the backpacks, the gauntlets and a set of different glove plates for each member.

I've yet to see a single fan-produced helmet that could pass for the real deal. Even the background helms in Electroma were vacuum-formed, with Thomas' missing the rings before the endcap on his ears and Guy-Man's missing the LEDs and rod underneath the ear boxes, and rather sparse wiring on the back of the head. Both were also extremely soft detailed at the join points or even the obtuse points that were even close to 90 degrees. Despite all of them being snatched up at the end of production, even they wouldn't pass as legit.

Sorry for rambling, but this is a real point of frustration for me. I'd love to have an accurate set of helmets, but I can't see that happening without Daft Punk giving out the license for reproductions, as even if someone got a hold of a real piece or the molds for one, they'd be shut down faster than they could produce them.

Another detail that people tend to miss on Thomas' helmet is the fact that the mouth piece is not flat, it is slightly curved. Just look at the chin piece beneath it, it has a rounded top, or the reflections it gives off, always slightly distorted. While on the subject of the chin piece, it should be noted that it doesn't mate cleanly with the other edge pieces along the bottom of the "sideburns" (Closer to mutton chops, but sideburns sounds better) instead a small bit of it meets the sideburn causing a small straight edge where most replica makers simply put a point. Also, in terms of how the 3d model compares to the actual Bangalter helmet, the front of the dome is too lightly sloped, it needs to be more bulbous (For lack of a better word). I really want to see someone come out with a helmet that just blows my mind, and can make people think that it's real, and with the speed of development, currently, we shouldn't be too far off from that, but we just need to focus in and start working on the details now.

EDIT: I just dug through my Daft Punk folder and found this picture of their backup helmets for their concerts that demonstrates what I was talking about when I was talking about how the chin piece connects to the sideburn slightly, instead of simply neatly forming a border along the bottom edge:
BackupHelmets.png

Note: I played with the Gamma and Exposure of the image to make it as clear as possible.

-Nick

I got a little bored today and whipped up this side view line drawing of the Bangalter Helmet:
ThomasLineSide.png

It should be damn near exact (basically, it's the closest yet), I worked from many many pictures to help compensate for the natural perspective found in each one. Unfortunately there is slightly less "good" source material for the front of the helmet so if you guys want me to whip up a front view as well, it may take a little longer. Let's all just try to keep this an "open source" project. If we all work together we'll make progress much faster. So, if you make any adjustments, or have your own source material to share, by all means share it.

-Nick

20xx said:
Which version is it, the Disc, the HAA or the intermediate?
It's the current, touring helmet (Based mostly on behind the scenes pictures and some personal photos from friends), so seeing as though HAA is closest to that, let's call it that. To my eye, the Discovery era helmet is just a little off proportion-wise, I'm not exactly sure why. I love the current proportions more than my collection of Daft Punk albums.

The only thing that I think is off in my drawing is the back of the helmet. I think the bottom edge of it should be at a slightly steeper angle, but that can easily be fixed.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back