Expanding Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it has been done. I haven't done it yet, but I might sometime in the future. You have to be careful though, because if the model doesn't have enough strength and/or an adequate amount of "overflow holes", the foam might totally mess up the prop. Either by warping or expanding too much. So It's basically not for the inexperienced or unprepared. Proceed with caution

yes, I have...that's how I made my whole armor...I used printer paper and then foam...I would say use cardstock,reinforce with cardboard in some areas,but it needs to be very sturdy...Use armor coat expanding foam...It doesnt expand to much...I wouldnt really recommend foam unless you can reinforce your parts properly...

Expanding foam isnt the best thing to use unless you're prop is already pretty strong, it's good for filling, but not for using as the main strengthener.

@ Colmon : Yeah, I did that in my brim on my new helmet. My old brim on my other helmet was screwed up due to lack of supports even though it was resined. My new helmet however just had 2 coats of resin on the outside of the brim and one lackluster coat on the inside(no fiberglass on the bottom of brim) and the expanding foam was just fine. I wouldn't fill it all the way up to give it room to expand, and if it dries and you see you need more then just add a bit more. Just be sure to clean out your expanding foam nozzles...my back porch is ruined now :p

If you fiberglass the inside of a piece, there is no point to use expanding foam since fiberglass is already strong enough for use.

hehehe i just thought of somehtin
*something

take a mold of a helmet and dump expanding foam on there and cover it with like a metal sheet to give weight for it to shape!

will it work? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back