Dismiss NoticeGreetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!
Frequently Asked Questions
How did the 405th get its name? In 2003, Bungie presented a real-time demo of Halo 2 at E3. This demo includes the only time the 405th is directly mentioned. In the demo a cut-scene is shown in which Master Chief is being flown into New Mombasa. As he flies in he asks “Who was first contact?” and Sergeant Major Johnson responds “405th out of Diego Garcia. But don’t expect a big welcome. Covenant wiped most of them out before they hit the ground.” Unfortunately, the line regarding the 405th was cut from the final version of the cutscene. No other mention of the 405th is made although one has to assume that the troops, including Corporal Perez who greets Master Chief after he lands in New Mambaso, are a remnant of the 405th.
How can a Halo Costuming group exist? Doesn't Microsoft hold the license to all things Halo? Microsoft does indeed own Halo®. We operate with respect to Microsoft's Game Content Usage Rules. To read the entirety of Microsoft's Game Content Usage Rules, please click here.
405th Identity Guidelines
The 405th identity is a symbol of excellence in Halo costuming and represents all that is good in a costuming-based community. When you use the 405th identity, you represent the 405th and are claiming to be a part of that history of excellence. By following these guidelines, you reap the benefits of the 405th identity and contribute to its strength.
Our logos can be used by any member for PERSONAL USE with the following limitations:
- Only use the lockups in their entirety
- Only use the lockups at a size larger than 200px tall (digital forms) or 1.5” tall (physical forms).
- If height of the lockup is X, do not display any other artwork within .25X of lockup.
- Do not alter the proportions, or alter the relationship of the elements in any way.
- Do not change the font or alter the spacing between letters.
- Do not incorporate the 405th lockups into your own identity or use the lockups in conjunction with any other artwork.
- Never create a new logo that combines the 405th lockups with another identity.
- Do not deface or modify the lockups in any way.*
- Do not place the lockups on or near anything vulgar or repugnant. If there is a question as to whether something is considered vulgar or repugnant, then there is no question.
- Do not reproduce the lockups using any color other than provided.**
- Do not reproduce lockups to look three-dimensional.
- Do not rotate or animate the lockups.
- Do not add special effects to the lockups such as shadows, reflections, or glows.
* Adding “weathering” if placing the lockups on a costume is acceptable. Adding graffiti is not acceptable.
** Any single color may be used for one color versions of the Horizontal Lockups, the Emblem, or the 405th logo elements.
Additional Limitations and Guidelines:
- While the 405th Identity is for use by any member for PERSONAL USE, do not create ANY swag or retail items using the identity. This includes but is not limited to clothing, patches, stickers, coins, etc.
- Any banners, flyers or promotional items containing the 405th Identity that is being used to promote the 405th MUST be approved BEFORE being used.
- As noted above, when you use the 405th identity, you represent the 405th in an unofficial capacity, as a member of the community. Unless you are an official representative for the community, please be careful not to represent yourself as such.
If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please do not hesitate to post a question in our Site Support & News forum