"100% Noob Armorer", Needs to know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DivaythRihn

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance if by some chance I posted this totally out of context, and or in the wrong forum.

So, to be blunt, I am totally new to this, though I've been creeping these forums to try and get started for quite some time, I've had no luck.
As you've probably guesses I'm trying to start a project and create some MJLONIR armor.
I have no clue what to use, how to use it, and what "it" is called.
I'm posting this to see if anyone wants to take the time to explain to me how to at least start and, maybe even finish A Peice of MJOLNIR armor, of even a Weapon prop.
I'm not totally inexperienced, Simply put I've never tried something on this scale before.
If anyone thinks I should start small and make, say, An MA5B or Mjolnir Gauntlets I'd appreciate info such as that as well.
As I tried to state earlier, I'm not totally helpless, I'm sure if somone could email the fundamentals in making even one small peice of a quality set of armor, I could make the rest myself.
What has really been "Stumping" me is the Visor on the Mark 6 helm. As sort of a follow up to any posts/replies, I would like to know how all you armorers have been making the Indent in the helm.
Also, I'm confused as to how you harden your armor, or coat it. Conceptually I thought it would be brittle and break easily seeing as I thought it was made of Carboard.
Gathering supplies, buying supplies, and shaping shouldn't be a problem for me, I can get anything I need in my city.
So, input from an experienced Mjolnir armorer would be REALLY appreciated! :)

On a side note, Please, If you want to send me a detailed reply, Send it to my email (I'll post it at the end of this comment)
Or, if you would like to help me along step by step through email, (Which is a fair bit to ask, I'm aware) I would really appreciate that as well.

Again, I posted this mainly to find out where to start. :)

Thanks again,

Divayth.

(Email: Lobotomy-For-Dummies@hotmail.com)

To make armor from pepakura, all you do is scale the peices and choose your paper size, download pepakura and download armor peices, it's easy and simple to do, read the stickied threads in the pepakura creation forum.

To harden the cardstock, all you do is apply resin, resin is a liquid plastic which when out in the hotsun and hot heat, it will dry quickly within 1-2 hours, 2-3 coats of resin for each peice makes the peice hard, and to make it strong, you use fiberglass, it's like a blanket made of glass strips that is very plyable and easy to form around tight spots, it will take almost any form because of it's structure, after applying fiberglass inside, you can coat it with resin again and it "sandwhiches the glass" which makes the armor stronger, then you can sand down the outside resin to make it smooth, you get drips here and there and they dry as a glob

but be warned, all this will cost 100 dollars or more.

Thank You,
But there is still one thing Bothering me,
Do you paint before applying a coat of Fiberglass? Or in between? I'm skilled at painting things such as this. But as I said, I've never done something on this scale. Also, What would I do about the Faceplate? I want to make this as skilled a replica as possible, and don't want to settle for an "Un - indented" Faceplate.

You dont paint the inside, why would you, painting the armor before fiberglassing would just cover the paint up, you paint after resin and fiberglassing, I dont know if you read my post or not, but fiberglass's a blanket, not a liquid. And for the visor, you can be cheap, use a 2 liter bottle and buy tint film from an auto part store. Or you can spend 23 dollars on ebay and buy a real fancy motorcycle visor.

AoBfrost said:
You dont paint the inside, why would you, painting the armor before fiberglassing would just cover the paint up, you paint after resin and fiberglassing, I dont know if you read my post or not, but fiberglass's a blanket, not a liquid. And for the visor, you can be cheap, use a 2 liter bottle and buy tint film from an auto part store. Or you can spend 23 dollars on ebay and buy a real fancy motorcycle visor.
Alright, that makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.
Again, sorry, I've never had to use Fiberglass before. The last little thing getting to me is the painting, After applying the Fiberglass, I'm assuming you can coat it again with whatever you choose to protect it after painting, Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Applying fiberglass is like applying a blanket over the inside of your armor, seems to do nothing, but when you resin over it (1 resin on the inside of the peice, then fiberglass, then more resin over it) when you resin over the glass, it becomes strong, dense, and sturdy to some rough use, You could layer fiberglass and do 2 layers to make it rock hard, but I really dont want to buy more fiberglass cloth, plus, 1 layer of glass is enough to me. the Outside of the peice you work on which is say the helmet, the inside will be fiberglassed and resin'd and the outside will just be resined with 2 layers, one light layer and then let it dry, then another layer and let it dry, then sand out imperfections, then paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back