3d and pep kicking my butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runkrod

Hey gang,
So I like the new Infinite armor the more I see it, and am probably going to abandon my H4 plans to make one of these instead. So I've found the files that are available so far created by the ever impressive MoeSizzlac <salute>. These are 3D files for printing. I then figured I should educate myself with 3D modeling and pep designer software because I am lacking a 3D printer and want to make out of foam. (obviously this is a summary of a couple of weeks of effort here). But despite having a now fairly basic grasp of using Blender and Pep designer and Armorsmith, Moe's files are kicking my butt. Here's what I mean, I import a .stl file into Pep and unfold it. It unfolds in a crazy pattern with face breaks in baffling places. (screen shot attached). So I refold it and tell pep to reset all cut lines. I then take a day and a half to create all new cut lines (other screen shot). But when I unfold again, it just does the old unfold with craziness, ignoring my new lines. I've looked in blender and can't see what in the mesh would be triggering these crazy lines. So anyone else playing with these files, or can clue me in to what I'm doing wrong with my amateurish conversion attempts?

Attachments

• 2020-07-31 (1).png
    2020-07-31 (1).png
    125.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 2020-07-31.png
    2020-07-31.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 261
Hey gang,
So I like the new Infinite armor the more I see it, and am probably going to abandon my H4 plans to make one of these instead. So I've found the files that are available so far created by the ever impressive MoeSizzlac <salute>. These are 3D files for printing. I then figured I should educate myself with 3D modeling and pep designer software because I am lacking a 3D printer and want to make out of foam. (obviously this is a summary of a couple of weeks of effort here). But despite having a now fairly basic grasp of using Blender and Pep designer and Armorsmith, Moe's files are kicking my butt. Here's what I mean, I import a .stl file into Pep and unfold it. It unfolds in a crazy pattern with face breaks in baffling places. (screen shot attached). So I refold it and tell pep to reset all cut lines. I then take a day and a half to create all new cut lines (other screen shot). But when I unfold again, it just does the old unfold with craziness, ignoring my new lines. I've looked in blender and can't see what in the mesh would be triggering these crazy lines. So anyone else playing with these files, or can clue me in to what I'm doing wrong with my amateurish conversion attempts?
Replying to my own thread, I think I have found "a" way, but hoping there is another. But once unfolded into this mess I see that I can rejoin faces in the 2D screen and humpty-dumpty this thing back together in the way I want. Its fairly tedious but should let me assemble this the way I see fit. That being said, is this the way or am I doing the hard way?

Replying to my own thread, I think I have found "a" way, but hoping there is another. But once unfolded into this mess I see that I can rejoin faces in the 2D screen and humpty-dumpty this thing back together in the way I want. Its fairly tedious but should let me assemble this the way I see fit. That being said, is this the way or am I doing the hard way?

I think what's kicking your butt is the .stl files. They have a high poly count and each poly, Pepakura designer wants to add a fold (a nightmare to work with in Pepakura). If you want a lower poly pepakura of halo infinite (more user friendly), I would use the following:

Helmet - Satchmo III did a helmet: Halo infinite helmet E318 (Satchmo III, PerniciousDuke) 2019-02-15.pdo

Torso, xtreemenoob made one here - Infinite Chest low poly

The rest - Attached. MarineSniper got the ball started on this. I didn't do the unfolds yet but I did make pep pieces for all the missing parts.

The unfolds are not done nicely but maybe you can help with that.

Attachments

• MoeSizzlac - Halo Infinite - Pepakura Masterchief.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 967
I think what's kicking your butt is the .stl files. They have a high poly count and each poly, Pepakura designer wants to add a fold (a nightmare to work with in Pepakura). If you want a lower poly pepakura of halo infinite (more user friendly), I would use the following:

Helmet - Satchmo III did a helmet: Halo infinite helmet E318 (Satchmo III, PerniciousDuke) 2019-02-15.pdo

Torso, xtreemenoob made one here - Infinite Chest low poly

The rest - Attached. MarineSniper got the ball started on this. I didn't do the unfolds yet but I did make pep pieces for all the missing parts.

The unfolds are not done nicely but maybe you can help with that.
Brilliant! Thank you sir!

Here's my stab at making the bicep/shoulder into a foam pep. I'm not convinced the back-side of the shoulder is necessary and so eliminated some of the inner parts. I'm also not 100% confident that all of the folds are necessary in a few parts, but frankly I'm tired of clicking. So I guess its time to build one and see how well it worked.

Attachments

• MoeSizzlac - Halo Infinite - Masterchief - Shoulder and Bicep - Low Poly (Print twice) Runkle ...pdo
    467 KB · Views: 218
If I need to turn a high-poly model into a foam pattern, I use Blender's limited dissolve to simplify the geometry, then remove tiny details and edges that aren't needed to make foam patterns. Time consuming, sure, but way easier than editing it in Armorsmith/Pepakura with those tiny faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back