3D modeling for 3D printing

tahu505

Hey, so I want to model some armor pieces to 3D print. Specifically, I want to make the collar/breacher chest piece attachment from Reach. Right now I only have experience modeling in Solidworks. As much as I love Solidworks, I'm not sure if it's the right tool for this job. What other 3D modeling software would you guys recommend for me?

MoeSizzlac

It's a biased thing. Everyone has their favorites. I like using Blender. Specifically, 2.79b, although I'm slowly getting used to 3.02.

Others like Fusion 360 by autodesk.

Maybe someone else can chime in for other popular ones. I think Fusion is the go to for doing a whole crap ton of work but I couldn't commit to the time it took to learn every aspect. I think I picked up too many bad habits from Blender and it doesn't transfer well to Fusion.

I understand the need to learn so if you need help, specifically in Blender, let me know.

Edit - See attached for the collar in case you run into roadblocks.

Attachments

• MoeSizzlac - Halo Reach - Breacher - Up Armor.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

TurboCharizard

Division PR, RXO and BCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S068
Hey, so I want to model some armor pieces to 3D print. Specifically, I want to make the collar/breacher chest piece attachment from Reach. Right now I only have experience modeling in Solidworks. As much as I love Solidworks, I'm not sure if it's the right tool for this job. What other 3D modeling software would you guys recommend for me?
I have a huge bias towards Fusion360 and Solidworks since they're the tools I've used throughout school. Both are awesome for hard armour modelling but take a bit of getting used to for creating those pieces.

Currently I model all armour and weapon props in Fusion through a mix of the creation of forms and solids. It's a bit on the janky side of things for certain shapes but luckily there's good tutorials out there to get you through some of the more advanced processes.

tahu505

It's a biased thing. Everyone has their favorites. I like using Blender. Specifically, 2.79b, although I'm slowly getting used to 3.02.

Others like Fusion 360 by autodesk.

Maybe someone else can chime in for other popular ones. I think Fusion is the go to for doing a whole crap ton of work but I couldn't commit to the time it took to learn every aspect. I think I picked up too many bad habits from Blender and it doesn't transfer well to Fusion.

I understand the need to learn so if you need help, specifically in Blender, let me know.

Edit - See attached for the collar in case you run into roadblocks.
Thank you for the model references. I was actually going to make the breacher attachment to go with some of the Reach armor you designed lol. I'm still going to try modeling the piece myself. Also I have tried using Blender a little bit, but haven't dove too deep into it yet. I showed one of my friends the sword from Destiny 2 I made recently in Solidworks and he told me he thought it would be easier to make in Blender.

tahu505

I have a huge bias towards Fusion360 and Solidworks since they're the tools I've used throughout school. Both are awesome for hard armour modelling but take a bit of getting used to for creating those pieces.

Currently I model all armour and weapon props in Fusion through a mix of the creation of forms and solids. It's a bit on the janky side of things for certain shapes but luckily there's good tutorials out there to get you through some of the more advanced processes.
How similar/different would you say Fusion360 and Solidworks are? I haven't used Fusion360 yet, but I've been using Solidworks for the past 4 years through school as well and would say I have a lot of experience with it. Also would Fusion360 have any specific advantages for making armor compared to Solidworks?

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.