3D printed ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK1897

settings 1.jpg
settings 2.jpg
I am building 3 ODST suits for DragonCon 2019. I am using a Monoprice i3, no mods. I use Craftware to cut and slice my prints. I will post my settings for anyone that is interested and progress pictures as often as I can! I am using reference pictures that have been dissected by gerard2567 and some of the work that has already been done with the same files by TnG R1ckx. I wouldnt call myself an engineering expert when it comes to the world of 3D printing, but I have played with my settings enough to get to a place where I am extremely happy with my print quality. Feel free to ask me questions along this journey and follow along!

Last edited:
One week update! its been a week since I've started this journey and I think I have some good progress to share. First, I'd like to talk about the things I've learned:
1. I have done some smaller prints on my printer, and I'm still getting good shells, but I am getting some warping on corners. To fix this, I am going to decrease my print bed temp 5 degrees until I find a good temp where the warping stops.
2. Filament matters. In the past I have used Inland filament that can be picked up at my local Micro Center. Its fine for low support structures, but I would recomend spending the few extra bucks for a better supported filament (HatchBox, Fillamentory, Rigid.Ink). Also, the more mainstream fillaments make taking the support structures off easier and lose less of the details.

Though I have had some issues with warping i have been able to fix most of the issues with my assembly adhesive, E-6000. E-6000 has proven to keep the bonds very well, and is also great for filling in any gaps. It will make sanding a bit longer; but in my mind, its a good trade off for a strong bond between the pieces. Any left over residue will likely come off during the priming process.

I have 11 pieces and clip left to complete the BR, lets hope I can fix some of the issues before getting to the Armor!

(I also need a better place to take pictures)

BR.jpg

Its been close to two weeks since an update, but the BR is done! I am currently working on filling any small gaps with wood filler and E-6000 before I XTC the whole thing. There are some areas that did not adjoin completely flush, but nothing that will be noticeable once completely finished. The next part of the project will be working on the shoulders. I plan on completing one full set before going to the next two, so I can figure out what my scales should be. Thus far, I think the shoulders are scaled fairly well, although I have seen people scale it an extra 20-30%. I know I will have to scale it significantly for one of the armors, as the person that will be wearing it is built like a tank, but, I'll get there later.

6035708665277672199%253Faccount_id%253D0.jpg

Great progress so far! I'm doing a full 3D printed Halo 5 Noble so we should definitely share notes. I've got a build thread going as well. Scaling is definitely the trickiest part in my limited experience thus far. What sizing did you end up with for the BR? I also plan to add magnets so I can 'holster' at the hip or back. I found a great set of BR files on thingiverse and will attempt to print in 3 or 4 parts but I'm not sure what I want the overall length to be since I'm not a 7ft tall spartan. I have a CR10 so I'm taking advantage of the larger build volume and will just cut the full stl file into a few chunks after scaling.

I actually didn't scale the BR at all! I'm 6' tall on the dot. One of my friends that I'm doing this with next year thinks it's to big for him at standard scale (it's about 6 inches longer than his AR). Even for him I think it's fine, from the stock I can still hold at the trigger and under barel easily. For ease of carry, we are going to use nylon shoulder straps since we are doing ODST and not Spartans.

I'm out of town currently, when I get home I'll take a picture so you can see!

I actually didn't scale the BR at all! I'm 6' tall on the dot. One of my friends that I'm doing this with next year thinks it's to big for him at standard scale (it's about 6 inches longer than his AR). Even for him I think it's fine, from the stock I can still hold at the trigger and under barel easily. For ease of carry, we are going to use nylon shoulder straps since we are doing ODST and not Spartans.

I'm out of town currently, when I get home I'll take a picture so you can see!

That would be great. Thanks! I'm 5'8". I like the ideal of scaling next to an AR. I'll give that a shot for the end to end measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back