3D Printer Downselect

Discussion in 'Halo 3D Modeling' started by Chisum, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Looking for recommendations on a new 3D Printer with a large printing area. Navy movers broke my small FLSUN printer and figured I would upgrade since getting a new one.

2. Bucs37DK

Bucs37DK Active Member

Welcome Chisum,

Personally, I have had a ton of success with the Lulzbot Taz 6. Printed multiple suits and a ton of weapons. The print area is a significant asset.

3. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Looks like a great printer but was hoping for something with a larger print area 400mm plus.

4. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

I'm a Tevo Tornado fan despite the recent issues I've had with the machine.

There's a large support community for the machine and plenty of DIY upgrades that the group is constantly working on.

5. Kusak3

Kusak3 Member

Well depending on what you want to spend. Friend of mine picked up the Creality 10s S5 which is a 500x500x500 printer. it set him back 1000 on amazon and he has put about 400 dollars in upgrades on it since but I know it did good out of box. It is slow though what I can punch out in about 4 hours on my Hictop will take him closer to 5 on it. He added filament out detect to his. A better boden drive and a much bigger power supply and a glass bed that I amusingly I got to cut for him at my work. Also added auto leveling but he says it has its up and downs and sometimes he spend as much time adjusting it as he would the bed. One of the biggest flaws we have found in is that the entire bed area is not heated. So the aluminium bed tends to flex and knock itself out of level in areas. He hasnt said how much the glass bed has helped with that which is why he got that cut. The bed heater is only about 250x250. The mounted power supply cannot handle anything bigger. Supposedly he said there is some info about what needs to be done to get the entire bed heated. Myself I am looking at it slightly smaller brother the S4 which is 400x400x400 and about 250 cheaper to become my 3rd printer. Currently waiting to see if a regular client of mine lands a contract for a project that will bring me a bunch of work and then I will be pulling the trigger most likely on the S4 possibly the S5 depending on what he has to commission me to do for him.