3D Printer Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpunkyDonutz

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a 3D printer to print out props and such. I don't have a high budget as I finished my job a few months ago, so printers like the Ultimaker aren't possible. Do you guys have any good recommendations for around £600?

XYZ Da Vinci 1.1 Plus, Da Vinci 1.0 Pro and Prusa i3 (although I'd prefer pre-build) all seem like fairly good options, do you guys have any experience with these printers?

Thanks in advance,
SpunkyDonutz

(Not a 3D printer owner)
I personally was going to stay away from XYZ because of the proprietary filaments. Most of the makers I run into point to the LulzBot Mini (A tad pricy) and the Printr Bot. I had a couple suggest grabbing the Hungwei (Monoprice) printer because it's cheap, works at fairly well (with some fiddling).
Look at what you want: Print size, filament types, price. And select from those.

Reference:
https://www.3dhubs.com/best-3d-printer-guide

I run a flashforge dreamer MSRP is 1100 USD ... Its survived over a 100 Lbs of ABS and 3 suits of Full scale armor so far and no major problems .

I had a printr bot. it lasted a few months. cables flexed to death and then took out the main driver board .

Prusa is a VERY well supported system. Its solid ... LImited to PLA at first . good build area....

the Da Vinci 1.0 Pro is ok .... I would never ever advocate to get a printer no matter how cheap it is that only takes DRMed filiment .
If you have to use there plastic then its gonna be VERY costly to run. FYI I pay 25 bucks a 1kG spool.... Vs makerbot and 44 bucks a 900 gram spool...
Da Vinci's DRMed basic machines only take there pre made carts of plastic . the pro can take normal spools.

I run a flashforge dreamer MSRP is 1100 USD ... Its survived over a 100 Lbs of ABS and 3 suits of Full scale armor so far and no major problems .

I had a printr bot. it lasted a few months. cables flexed to death and then took out the main driver board .

Prusa is a VERY well supported system. Its solid ... LImited to PLA at first . good build area....

the Da Vinci 1.0 Pro is ok .... I would never ever advocate to get a printer no matter how cheap it is that only takes DRMed filiment .
If you have to use there plastic then its gonna be VERY costly to run. FYI I pay 25 bucks a 1kG spool.... Vs makerbot and 44 bucks a 900 gram spool...
Da Vinci's DRMed basic machines only take there pre made carts of plastic . the pro can take normal spools.

I have seen people recommend the Flashforge Dreamer, but it's a tad over my budget.

If I was to get a Prusa I could probably afford to upgrade the hotend/extruder right away, so that I could print more materials and in better quality. And I believe the Mark 2 Prusa i3's now have a heated bed which is something I would like.

I realise some of the XYZ machines are limited to XYZ cartridges, but I could just reset the EEPROM and use a non-XYZ filament.

Oh yes . Iv heard good thngs about the ROBO! its very close to a prusa in Mech layout and build area. A solid Buy.

My advise : unless you have 2 left hands (which I doubt very much, otherwise you'd not be considering cosplay) is build it yourself.
There are a ton of trustworthy, good brands that enable you to build a 3D machine that in terms of buildsize (and possibilities) far exceed anything out there at half of your budget.

Do some shopping. I have excellent personal experiences with the RenRen3D stuff : very nice kit, stable, fast and costing half of what you want to spend and the output quality is sublime. Be sure to go for the DeltaX Pro in that case as you'd need the linear guides on the Delta's to ensure a stable machine. Build size is about 220x270 or so. Main "problem". the autolevel system requires a "probe" to be set and removed. Works, and yes because the heated bed is static on Delta's it shouldn't change all that much in terms of positioning, but still, it can be done more elegant.

Want to have a bigger machine : Micromake offers a very nice, huge Delta doing stuff of 280x380 in build size, again, half of your budget. Again, I have personal experience with these guys : good kit, a bit iffy in terms of documentation compared to RenRen, but there's a ****load of video's out there explaining the assembly of this one. Main issue here : iffy bed mount. A bit clumsy. As a builder, you're left a bit to your own devices to make a better solution than the one Micromake offers. Plus : very big, very nice print, very good auto level system. Overal quality of the kit is -I won't lie- somewhat lower than that of the RenRen3D machine.

Want to do dual extruder and are a bit afraid of going Delta ? Zonestar P802QSU. Full frame stainless steel, dual extruder, heated bed, auto bed level. Again ... about half your budget. Build size 220x220x240 or something.

While assembling a 3D printer yourself may be a frightening idea, you learn A LOT by doing so, you enter a world where you will have direct control over the possible upgrades and improvements you can add, sometimes the mfg simply has published the spare parts as free stl's for you to access so even if the company would go belly-up you would not be left there to dry.

I assembled all of my machines myself. I never regretted it. And if push comes to shove, I can and will give you the advise you need if things would become "clear as mud".

Examples of output of these self-assembled machines (and the Micromake is a self-designed one, I took the existing Micromake docs and made a slightly bigger version using their info) : see for yourself (example of my Renren output)

Attachments

• boomboom.jpg
    boomboom.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 356
  • output quality.jpg
    output quality.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 187
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 367
  • full view.jpg
    full view.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 357
I'm using a Robo3D R1 Plus and its been chugging out covenant ships like nobody's business! even have a thread about it over in props: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=47706

it sounds like it should be the closest to your price range while still being a reliable, good-quality printer.

Robo3D R1+ was a printer I was looking at and had my eyes set on, but I can't find anywhere that sells them for a good price in the UK or even close to the price they're sold in the US.

My advise : unless you have 2 left hands (which I doubt very much, otherwise you'd not be considering cosplay) is build it yourself.
There are a ton of trustworthy, good brands that enable you to build a 3D machine that in terms of buildsize (and possibilities) far exceed anything out there at half of your budget.

Do some shopping. I have excellent personal experiences with the RenRen3D stuff : very nice kit, stable, fast and costing half of what you want to spend and the output quality is sublime. Be sure to go for the DeltaX Pro in that case as you'd need the linear guides on the Delta's to ensure a stable machine. Build size is about 220x270 or so. Main "problem". the autolevel system requires a "probe" to be set and removed. Works, and yes because the heated bed is static on Delta's it shouldn't change all that much in terms of positioning, but still, it can be done more elegant.

Want to have a bigger machine : Micromake offers a very nice, huge Delta doing stuff of 280x380 in build size, again, half of your budget. Again, I have personal experience with these guys : good kit, a bit iffy in terms of documentation compared to RenRen, but there's a ****load of video's out there explaining the assembly of this one. Main issue here : iffy bed mount. A bit clumsy. As a builder, you're left a bit to your own devices to make a better solution than the one Micromake offers. Plus : very big, very nice print, very good auto level system. Overal quality of the kit is -I won't lie- somewhat lower than that of the RenRen3D machine.

Want to do dual extruder and are a bit afraid of going Delta ? Zonestar P802QSU. Full frame stainless steel, dual extruder, heated bed, auto bed level. Again ... about half your budget. Build size 220x220x240 or something.

While assembling a 3D printer yourself may be a frightening idea, you learn A LOT by doing so, you enter a world where you will have direct control over the possible upgrades and improvements you can add, sometimes the mfg simply has published the spare parts as free stl's for you to access so even if the company would go belly-up you would not be left there to dry.

I assembled all of my machines myself. I never regretted it. And if push comes to shove, I can and will give you the advise you need if things would become "clear as mud".

Examples of output of these self-assembled machines (and the Micromake is a self-designed one, I took the existing Micromake docs and made a slightly bigger version using their info) : see for yourself (example of my Renren output)

Thanks, I will have a good look at these machines, the output looks amazing compared to what I've seen on more expensive printers! :)

Whatever you do, if you go for a prusa-clone, make sure it has auto level bed. While the more seasoned 3d user will look down on this stating "you dont need this", the availability of this feature helps no end if you are new to 3d printing and the importance of a perfect first layer can not be understated !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back