3D printing safety concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenottsel

Hello all,

I've recently come upon a the new obsession of 3D printing for my costume builds and I have a question about safety:

I'm aware that ABS is safe for people since Lego uses it for toys, but what about acetone for the building process? I see that most people use acetone to smooth out 3d printed parts; Would if be safe for me to print a helmet (say master chief's) smooth it out with acetone and wear? I don't plan on eating off the helmet or anything (that would be silly), but I just want to make sure I know what I'm breathing after the helmet is done (in terms of residuals even after cleaning).

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

I see, so in the case of armour building just the one step use of the acetone with proper clean up afterwards should be more or less perfectly fine.

Acetone will evaporate within a couple hours. Depending on the exposure time and saturation of the plastic. I would let it stand at least over night (8-10 hours) before putting on your head. In MOST cases, 24 hours is best. Putting in front of a fan or soaking it in water also helps in speeding up the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back