3D Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiltedOne

Hi, everyone! I've been meaning to build a few suits from pep, but can never seem to find the time to get everything cut. That said, I just bought a 3D printer, and am thinking I can get around to making siuts for myself and both of my boys. I'm looking for tips, 3D models, and .stl files. I plan on making masters with my printer, then vac forming from them so I can replace broken parts (my boys are 12 & 15, so I don't expect everything will stay perfect). Thank you all in advance for your advice, and I hope to see you all in the real world.

Well.... 3d printers don't necessarily save time. 3d printers allow a person to start from a better quality position. You don't have to worry about making the cuts perfectly or aligning everything perfectly because the machine does it for you. If you want a good surface finish to the armour, you can spend days sanding, body filling, sanding, using primer filler, sanding, and painting. All of this doesn't have to be done immediately. You can spend a few hours one day and come back to it a week later.

My advice is for you to first find a suit or model you want to 3d print.
Fit the model to the person. With them being 12 & 15 is very likely they will out grow the suit. Perhaps make it a slightly larger for them.
Cut the model down to sizes that can print on your 3d printer.
Then come back and ask more questions.

It's more that I get half the pep cut, then have to put it down for a while, then something happens and pieces get lost. It's much harder for files to get lost. Most of the components will build in as a single unit. I like finish work, it's very meditative for me, so I'm actually looking forward to it.

It's more that I get half the pep cut, then have to put it down for a while, then something happens and pieces get lost. It's much harder for files to get lost. Most of the components will build in as a single unit. I like finish work, it's very meditative for me, so I'm actually looking forward to it.

I'm just starting my first fully printed suit, it's a bit of an undertaking but depending on the suit that your boys are looking for there's already quite a few great resources out there. If you're looking for some more generic Mk VI style armour from Halo 3 there's a fantastic file set from MoeSizzlac that I'm using as the base for my Spartan Daisy. For some of the different armour sets you'll have to design the model yourself since many of the lesser well known armour variants haven't gotten the all star treatment of getting a high definition model developed.

Do you have a specific game or armour variant that you're looking to build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back