3D Progam

Status
Not open for further replies.
thers loads.. most people use 3ds max or blender. blender is free 3ds max isnt

EDIT: i didnt see the word free in your post haha, my bad. blender is free and reasonably easy to use

Yogi-Ben said:
thers loads.. most people use 3ds max or blender. blender is free 3ds max isnt

EDIT: i didnt see the word free in your post haha, my bad. blender is free and reasonably easy to use

thank you so much for the help...

how do I convert my project so that I can open it in pepakura?

Last edited by a moderator:
Blender should be able to export to .obj files, which can be loaded into Pep. I think. (I'm not really a Blender user)

Gmax is very similar to 3DS Max. I'd go with that if you're looking for higher quality models. If quality isn't too big of a concern, Blender all the way

Utilize the blender!

You can save files as a different type (If I remember correctly).

Blender is excellent, its quick to learn too.

Pepakura Designer 3 has an option to 'Export to OBJ' - a file extension Blender can recognise.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Gmax is very similar to 3DS Max. I'd go with that if you're looking for higher quality models. If quality isn't too big of a concern, Blender all the way

What do you mean by "higher quality model"? If you're talking about photo realistic animation, MAYA is probably the way to go, but in terms of the low polygon modeling that is Pepakura, there is no difference between blender and all the standard programs out there.

Yttrium said:
What do you mean by "higher quality model"? If you're talking about photo realistic animation, MAYA is probably the way to go, but in terms of the low polygon modeling that is Pepakura, there is no difference between blender and all the standard programs out there.

From my experience Blender isn't the best when it comes to modeling with greater amounts of detail. I prefer Gmax for things I plan to spend more time on, although I haven't used Blender in a while so I guess it's more of a preference.

i think MAYA is expensive....lol.......is Gmax a free software? I want to learn about 3d modeling with a free and easy program first before I go on the expensive and complicated ones...... are these programs user friendly?

im trying to download 3DVIA Shape but it doesn't work.........have you tried using it? Does it have a friendly interface?

i prefer wings 3d its free over blender because you dont have to install python and doesnt eat as much memory, also wings has some tutorials

Whew, okay. I've actually used all these programs now! (Spent some of the weekend poking around Blender and talking to some Blender experts.) I went to college for media arts and animation, and worked with 3DSMax and Maya for all 4 years there. I currently use 3DSMax in my day job. My conclusions? At basic functionality, there is NO difference between most of these programs, just in the way the interfaces are designed and how easy to use they are. The differences are only skin-deep. 3DSMax vs. Maya is pretty much a choice of "which one is easier for you to use". I like 3DSMax. Most of my graphics making friends prefer Maya. I've been using Max for about 10 years, they learned on Maya. We can all create the same quality work, we just have totally different workflow.

3DSMax: I use this at work, so of course it's my favorite. It's got a relatively easy to figure out interface (with a little time spent on the tutorials), but most of the advanced options are hidden in obscure menus. But hey, how often do you NEED stuff like occlusion mapping, global illumination, and mental ray rendering? (Not often, if you just build armor.) Commonly used for video-game quality graphics, MSRP $2000-$3000. There are thousands of tutorials, including a full set included with the program that can get you up to speed in a hurry.

Maya: Used this in college for a few years. It has an obtuse and convoluted interface (in my opinion), but once you know how to get around it, you can kick all sorts of butt. This is what most high-end graphics are currently created using. MSRP $1000-$5000, depending on version. The tutorials are adequate, and there are a lot more available online.

Blender: Although it's not a frontrunner in the industry, it's gained a grassroots and cult following for high end graphics applications, including games and special effects. And heck, it's FREE, don't complain. It has almost all of the features of 3DSMax and Maya, but the interface is a little harder to figure out if you've been trained in other 3D software. There's a growing community with tutorials, guides, and even 1 on 1 help available.

Gmax: This is essentially a stripped down gutted version of 3DSMax. But if you just need to make polygons and models, this is dang good for ease-of-use. It doesn't have the fancy options of Maya, Max, or Blender, but mostly you don't NEED all that extra stuff for what we usually do around here.

Conclusions: 3DSMax and Maya are awesome but expensive, Blender is a free equivalent (but slightly harder to use), Gmax is basic but does the poly editing just as well as 3DSMax, making it a good choice. If you just want to edit polygons for armor, I'd give Gmax a try, if you want more, try Blender. Or dish out thousands of dollars, but I know a few up-and-coming game developers using Blender now, and they are making VERY cool stuff with it.

Just thought I'd add this in here:

Blender is free, although it still has a lot of extra features which might just be clutter if one is just trying to make a simple to medium-detailed polygon model. Just for kicks, you might want to download the freeware program called Wings3D. It's just got polygon modeling, and should be able to export to .obj, although I've never used it, so I'm not sure. Anyway, just wanted to help ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back