3D Scale Modeling

3D Scaling Tutorial

• It is good but I already knew this but it will be helpful to Noobs like you!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whoopy you can draw stick figures in Photoshop... forget about this and get back to building your Ar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chwbcc1

I've done a brief search here on scaling and found many great topics on how to scale Pepakura files, however I haven't found anything on how to create scaled models for 3d Software like Maya, 3D Max and Blender. So here's a little something I found and thought it would be really beneficial to the 3D Modelers who are creating the files we love to Pep.

The average human stands '8 Heads' high.

A head is determined to be a 3x4 oval. For example if Height = 1.0" then Width = 0.75"

The Neck is 1/4 head high.

The Center Bend Line of human is 4 heads from the Ground Line.

Shoulder width is (2)4x3 Ovals set left and right of the center vertical line

Hips are (2) 3x4 Ovals set left and right of the center vertical line

Starting from the ground line up:

Oval 1: Feet and lower half of the lower leg

Oval 2: Upper half of lower leg

Oval 3: Lower half of Upper leg

Oval 4: Upper half of upper leg

Note: Ovals 5,6 and 7 rest 1/4 head lower to accommodate the proper placement of the hips and neck.

Oval 5: Hips

Oval 6: Waist

Oval 7: Chest

Note: Shoulders sit roughly 1/10 a head below the Head Oval. This gap between the Head Oval and the Shoulder Ovals is the space for the neck muscles and vertebrate.

Oval 8: Head

I have created a frontal view .PSD file for people to edit and play with then import into Maya, 3D Max and Blender for reference. I've also included a .JPG for those of you who can't open the .PSD file.

Scale Model Reference Files:

Photoshop File:

Scale Model Reference.psd

JPG File: (right click and save as)

Scale-Body-Model.jpg

Let me know what you think and post other ways you use to determine proper scale for 3D models.

Peace,

Chwbcc

I have just started 3d modeling, and haven't done any human scale stuff yet, but I'm sure using this would be another great way:

wimprest.jpg

All credit goes to Leonardo DaVinci for that.

If you're using a program like Maya (which is what I use) it would probably be more beneficial to photograph yourself and use that as reference for modeling around, since everyone is built differently. Yes, to draw a human from scratch, using a reference of 7 or 8 heads is a good place to start, but no one's built the same.

So if you were going to try modeling and scaling something custom to fit you, I'd combine your method with actual reference to yourself.

I agree, I'm using this to determine proper scale for the parts. I am not really concerned about it fitting anyone particularly but in fact fitting an actual proportional human.

Many of the Warhammer Models I am working from are not based on real proportions. And by keeping it generic it is easier to fit many people with minor altercations.

But you're right if someone is only building armor to fit themselves regardless of proper scale and proportions fitting the objects over their body reference would result in better fitting pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back