3D Sculpting Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostynugglets

Hey!

I downloaded and tried to print a Halo 4 Raider Helmet but the full wearable helmet is too big to print all at once. I was hoping there was someone who is good with the sculpting programs that might be able to section it out. I think if the face plate is separated from the main helmet I can use magnets to attach it but I would also need the helmet to be cut in half. I am not sure if that makes much sense but I am willing to elaborate if needed.

Attachments

• halo-4-mjolnir-gen2-raider-helmet.obj
    81.4 KB · Views: 115
Hey!

I downloaded and tried to print a Halo 4 Raider Helmet but the full wearable helmet is too big to print all at once. I was hoping there was someone who is good with the sculpting programs that might be able to section it out. I think if the face plate is separated from the main helmet I can use magnets to attach it but I would also need the helmet to be cut in half. I am not sure if that makes much sense but I am willing to elaborate if needed.
Well, I'm not too sure where you got the file but it is not a 3D printable model, it looks like a game asset.

What program are you using that is telling you it is printable?

An obj is perfectly printable. *THAT* one however shows as needing repair. Windows 3d builder is free and will do it.
1648653814754.png

Once you repair it you can "Save As..." and pick a format your slicer likes.
1648653958809.png

There's something screwy with the file even after its repaired. As a .3mf its trying to maintain some positioning that has parts WAY far away from each other.
Better to Save As... STL so there's no positional data in the file.
1648654124983.png

Based on how small it imports, I'll bet the modeler was using those ancient barbarian units called "inches" instead of mm. Probably need to resize it 254% just to get it adult sized. And still have to scale up or down from there to have it match your own head.

Looking at it in both Cura and 3dBuilder it looks pretty low-poly. Its a lot of big flat faces. Is that what you're going for? Once you scale this up its going to look like it was cut out of a quartz crystal.
1648654346191.png

Well, I'm not too sure where you got the file but it is not a 3D printable model, it looks like a game asset.

What program are you using that is telling you it is printable?
I got it from a forum on Reddit. When I loaded it into cura it will slicing the model to a gcode. I assumed that meant it was good. But I did see it's not an STL file. Sorry I'm super new to all of this. I actually saw your post on another thread about meshmixer and windows 3d. I tried my luck but just made a big mess . I am trying instead of just keep asking people though. My friend and I actually both follow your thingiverse page, your stuff is amazing.

Based on how small it imports, I'll bet the modeler was using those ancient barbarian units called "inches" instead of mm. Probably need to resize it 254% just to get it adult sized. And still have to scale up or down from there to have it match your own head.

Looking at it in both Cura and 3dBuilder it looks pretty low-poly. Its a lot of big flat faces. Is that what you're going for? Once you scale this up its going to look like it was cut out of a quartz crystal.
View attachment 315910
Oh man. Not at all. My friend and I have made customer stormtrooper armor from files we've found and our next big bad was to complete our custom halo armor that we used and loved over the games. Kind of like Frankenstein armor lol this was the only file for the raider helmet I could find. It came from someone on Reddit a little while back. I've only had my 3d printer for a few months and have been trying my best with meshmixer but unfortunately it's not my strong suit. I'm willing to take any help possible.

I've only had my 3d printer for a few months and have been trying my best with meshmixer but unfortunately it's not my strong suit. I'm willing to take any help possible.
well... I'm in the middle of packing for a move to Australia. My shop is mostly down and I have no machines up. I won't get to start building my own armor until AUG-SEP when the freight arrives there. Until then I'm emersing myself into the Halo culture... seeking out existing models and model vendors. I really don't want to model it from scratch like I did my {Expanse} Goliath, and figure with so much more history and larger community I probably shouldn't have to.

So I don't think I'm the guy to give you more direct help by way of pointing you at better quality files: I'm still designing my own armor and learning who/where to go to for the good stuff, myself.

well... I'm in the middle of packing for a move to Australia. My shop is mostly down and I have no machines up. I won't get to start building my own armor until AUG-SEP when the freight arrives there. Until then I'm emersing myself into the Halo culture... seeking out existing models and model vendors. I really don't want to model it from scratch like I did my {Expanse} Goliath, and figure with so much more history and larger community I probably shouldn't have to.

So I don't think I'm the guy to give you more direct help by way of pointing you at better quality files: I'm still designing my own armor and learning who/where to go to for the good stuff, myself.
Congratulations on the move. Thank you for taking the time to respond anyway. I really appreciate it any knowledge is better than no knowledge.

Ah I see. Any suggestions on what to try or who to ask?

Here, I mocked up a low detail model of it and split it up in the attached zip. A more detailed model will take me much more than an hour to mock up.

1648664476050.png

Edit, Hold up, I spotted an error. I'll attach it in a few.

All good now.

Attachments

• MoeSizzlac - Halo 4 - Raider Helmet.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Dude. You are a god among soldiers!
Oh, sorry, forgot to mention, it's sized for a 24" head around, but this doesn't mean that a 24" head will fit through the opening.

after you print the 4 bottom pieces, TAPE them together and see if you can get your noggin in there, If not, I like to have the back bottom piece separate and use magnets/hinges for attaching.

1648665999888.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back