3d Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont need to steal, most of the more popular 3d apps offer pretty much full versions for personal learning, Maya (Autodesk) for instance give away a full featured personal learning version, the only catch is it watermarks all your renders and it only exports non commercial file types. Paying good money for this software is worth it, it helps fund further development, and also you'll be more inclined to work harder to make the most of the software if you had to work to get it.

I'm more inclined to Maya and Max myself. I'm not a big fan of Cinema 4D, I'm not saying it's complete garbage, I just didn't care for it. I just found the interface to be clunky and confusing, but that's just me. There's also Lightwave and Softimage. You can get a load of info on 3dtotal.com. Maya isn't going anywhere any time soon. As other people have said, you just have to invest the time and 3D isn't something you learn in a week, it takes a few months to get a good understanding, and you probably won't turn out well organized models for a few months.

If your thinking of a job in 3D someday , knowing Maya is a standard for most film and a lot of games now. Knowing Some MAX works well for some games too.

I prefer Maya myself , but , thats me. :D

I'll echo what was said and say that , you can't learn this in 1 hour. It takes months if not years to crank out professional quality stuff.

Good Luck!

-Joe

The first 3d software I tried to learn was Maya, I like it, but I prefer c4d, I know the interface isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it all comes down to your own personal workflow I find. The only real reason I think prefer c4d to maya and max is that Ive put several hundred more hours (and dollars) into learning it so Im far more comfortable with its tool set and features. As a side note to any Maya users here, what's the story with Maya now? Will they still develop it now max own it? or will they merge the two?

Yeah you right NZ, as far as modeling for personal use they're similar. Autodesk is buying a lot of crap. They bought Mudbox not too long ago. As of now I don't think they're planning on merging any software (as far as MAx and Maya) Maya is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to powerful a tool, you can do anything you can think of in Maya, while Max can't do anything in program with compositing, the rigging software isn't as easy as Maya and as far as scripting and effects it's still pretty far behind Maya.

Maya has its own fluid simulator built in right? that would be handy, us poor old c4d users have to use realflow, which is nice, but tricky. Mudbox is pretty cool, made right here in New Zealand for king kong, personally I prefer zbrush, but again its only because of the time I've spent with it.

I believe so, there are so many ways to fake fluids without needing a complex simulation system built in. I learned how to do it in Max, granted it won't be as gorgeous and customizable as Maya, but for a quick flash in the Pan it's effective. I'm getting into Mudbox a bit more. Z brush I like because of how it organizes the mesh so you can bake the coordinates almost instantly :) I have more training material for Mudbox though. Both are amazing :D Yeah it's dope you live in NZ, good ol WETA. I have a huge soft spot for Peter Jackson!

It's nice to meet more 3D peeps on here. You're ODST helmet is just amazing! I dunno if I told ya that :)

You're ODST helmet is just amazing! I dunno if I told ya that smile.gif
Thanks :) Ive actually just realised I got a detail on it wrong, but nobody seems to have pulled me up on it yet :lol: I may have a another stab at it when I can stand looking at the reference images again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
autodesk bought mudbox?! soon autodesk and google will merge and own everything.... like some sort of all-owning AUTO-GOOGLE-DESK!
AUTOGOOGLEDESK.jpg

flying_squirl said:
autodesk bought mudbox?! soon autodesk and google will merge and own everything.... like some sort of all-owning AUTO-GOOGLE-DESK!
AUTOGOOGLEDESK.jpg

HAHA! Well actually, Google would buy out AutoDesk, trust me. ;)

I wrote an email to tamasoft about incorporating a poly reducer for pep, and this is what they wrote me back.

We are sorry we do not have a plan to release the polygon reducer,
but you may use Blender or MetasequoiaLE that you can use freely.

Blender
http://www.blender.org/

Metasequoia
http://www.metaseq.net/english/index.html

Regards,
-- -------------------------------------
Tama Software Ltd.Pepakura Designer support office confirms pepakura@tamasoft.co.jp
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

Skullcandy Girl said:
I'm more inclined to Maya and Max myself. I'm not a big fan of Cinema 4D, I'm not saying it's complete garbage, I just didn't care for it. I just found the interface to be clunky and confusing, but that's just me. There's also Lightwave and Softimage. You can get a load of info on 3dtotal.com. Maya isn't going anywhere any time soon. As other people have said, you just have to invest the time and 3D isn't something you learn in a week, it takes a few months to get a good understanding, and you probably won't turn out well organized models for a few months.

I'm learning that the haard way. Now I have max 08 and its much better but I still suck.

I've gotta give props to all of you who do 3d modeling and are good at it like SKG Robogenesis Flyin Squirrel Slyfo Darth-Malevelus(for your render of the Hot version of female spartin armor that i was askin for about a month ago) and Supertaco. Some of you have made some awesome stuff that has been invaluable to me if i didnt put your name here and im using your pep files im sorry I didnt remember.

But thanks for the input

Hey guys I'm a little stuck, I've made a whole MC set but now I want to create a samus one. I'm really good with autocad but for some reason I create a simple cube, save it as a dxf and then try to use Pepakura Designer2 to open it and I get nothing. No shape, no edges. Is there anyone out there who's used auto cad to create a model? and if so is there some special thing I'm missing? like applying a texture over a 3d shape? or perhaps I have to make it into something else? urgh I'm so stuck. I prefer to use auto cad because I've made alot of complex things with it, gears machines etc cnc work.

I know nothing about autocad, but check to see if its exporting proper UV coordinates, pep does weird stuff if your UVs are messy

Hey guys I'm a little stuck, I've made a whole MC set but now I want to create a samus one. I'm really good with autocad but for some reason I create a simple cube, save it as a dxf and then try to use Pepakura Designer2 to open it and I get nothing. No shape, no edges.

Okay, if you want to stick with AutoCAD (which is a good idea in my opinion, because every 3d modeller has a steep learning curve), download Blender. Import the dxf in Blender. If it's imported correctly, export as obj. This tutorial may help: Solidworks to Blender (wikibook). If not, you may want to export it from AutoCAD as something else, or really get into Blender because it's extremely good and quite easy to learn.

Whatever you do, I'll be glad to help. I'll try and import the dxf into blender so you don't have to install it. just pm me.

BTW: I've tried 3dmax, c4d and even maya, i find blender is the best tool. for me, maya is an overkill and blender is as good as 3dmax or c4d for "normal" projects.

I have 3ds max 8 at home (bit torrent-love it or hate it) and im currently taking advice from our school CAD teacher, because there are no in-depth tuts on 3ds max for free.

I recommend you ask someone like a teacher who has experience in AutoCAD and other 3d programs.

I have both Blender and XSI Mod Tool, but even with tuts I can't figure out how to do anything. If you're patient, try one of these because I've heard a lot of good things about both. I just use Wings3d; I taught myself rather quickly. Wings is a really simple program; you can't do animations or any advanced stuff, but for basic models (like the kind we pep) it works just fine.

The short and sweet of it

I open autocad
type '3d' ENTER
type 'box' ENTER
draw up a random box
save it as a dxf
open it using Pepakura Designer
it works and I can unfold it and it all works

if i try to make any other shape or use the toolbars it doesnt work, Pepakura Designer shows nothing at all :-(

I have blender and I'm getting 3ds max but urgh, learning another 3d modeling program isnt on my list of things to do lol. any ideas whats going wrong?

Shorion said:
The short and sweet of it

I open autocad
type '3d' ENTER
type 'box' ENTER
draw up a random box
save it as a dxf
open it using Pepakura Designer
it works and I can unfold it and it all works

if i try to make any other shape or use the toolbars it doesnt work, Pepakura Designer shows nothing at all :-(

I have blender and I'm getting 3ds max but urgh, learning another 3d modeling program isnt on my list of things to do lol. any ideas whats going wrong?
For anyone else attempting this method, here is a PM I exchanged with Shorion about why this may not be working. I will suggest the same to all that a free form modeling program should probably be used when dealing with pepakura, as AutoCAD is not really intended for this use.

I'd recommend just trying the other programs. AutoCAD is really clumsy in my opinion when it comes to 3D work. I actually use Inventor for my 3D solid modeling, but I need to learn Maya or 3ds max soon to make some stuff I've been wanting to for a while.

The reason it may not be working is again probably the format issue. I don't know a great deal about dxf, but pep probably can open simple shapes from them. If the other shapes you're talking about are circles and ovals, or other complex shapes, they won't open in pep unless you draw each individual face for them.

In AutoCAD, the renderer does most of the work when actually looking at a shape such as a sphere. You may see the individual faces that it uses to shade the object, but in AutoCAD those faces are virtual and not physical, hence they don't show up in Pep. I doubt you want to draw each face in AutoCAD, but I have run across an addon or two that would convert 3D solid shapes in CAD into meshes, which is what you would want to import into Pep. Alas, I don't remember where it was I found it, and I also believe it was a trial period thing that didn't last very long. I didn't want to pay for it either.

Hope that helps, I know it's not very good news.

-Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back