405th 4shared Account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan137

I was reviewing some of our files that have been recently released, and I started thinking.

Man, these are scattered all over the freakin place. Not on our forum, but all over the internet. Each going to the creator's distribution site. Not good for keeping it uniform, in my opinion.

So I started thinking. The Wiki certainly has a fair number of our parts out there, and it's nice and public. However, the wiki didn't really refer to the 405th as much as (in my opinion) it should have, being more a place where people outside of the community can go.

Unfortunately, the guy who started it got banned, and now I have no idea who's in charge of it. So in my opinion, even being a good idea, the wiki failed.

I thought that maybe the 405th should get it's own 4shared account (4share because it's the most common one I see), and leave a single person in charge of it. Individual members would send their files to the manager, who would appropriately label the file and upload it.

So, here are a list of possible Pros and Cons:

Pros:<ul>Provides appropriate respect to the 405th for files created by our members.
Could potentially help relocate lost files.
Allows for potential quality moderation.
Possibly helps with maintaining creator's rights and discouraging people who falsely claim other's work.[/list]
Cons:<ul>Detracts from all of our current locations and listings.
Render's the wiki useless.
Make's one member's life a living hell for at least a year.[/list]
I would be willing to accept the role of the 4shared moderator IF and ONLY IF the idea is adopted. I will NOT attempt to create such an account without moderator/staff permission.

Now, an alternative to this is just adding a file hosting feature to the 405th. But unfortunately, that means that Adam is going to have pay a LOT of money to pay for the memory requirements. But it would essentially do the same thing.

Debate:

The wiki has links back to the 405th for the majority of the files listed on it. One central location would be nice. It wouldn't render the wiki useless by any means. There is more to the wiki than just the pdo files. Dig a little deeper and you might be surprised. No one person is in charge of the wiki. It is an open document if you will. Anyone is welcome to edit or add to it.

Why cant we make a part under t eh menu bar stating FILES. once you click it it takes you to a post that has all files just like wiki but on 405th. Make it a sticky and boom. all files one location .

spaz47 said:
Why cant we make a part under t eh menu bar stating FILES. once you click it it takes you to a post that has all files just like wiki but on 405th. Make it a sticky and boom. all files one location .

Thats something I thought of, on site file hosting, but that would mean Adam would have to pay extra cash for the spare space.

Rather expensive, but might be worth it when there are many more members and files flitting around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's rather pointless, because of a flaw in your thinking. The general idea is good, don't get me wrong, but in the end, the individuals have to take care of uploading/updating their stuff. if it doesn't work with the wiki, why should using a hoster change this? (btw, i think the wiki does work quite well). it's highly unlikely somebody can keep track of all the stuff alone...

anyway, hosting has the problem, that it's difficult/impossible to navigate. and a lot of important information such as sizing can only be found in the thread, in which case, separating the data creates 2 worthless data entities, which users have to piece together again. at the moment, you're forced to read the threads or wiki, which isn't a bad thing in most cases, it's just tedious for experienced users.

I'm sorry for the negative sound of this post, but I'm currently in a realistic mood, and I think you're in an idealistic mood ;) Long story short: good idea, probably won't work (at all or as well as planned).

Hi guys im new here as you'll see but im a web designer/programer and have been for over 10 years off and on...

i have serveral servers of various uses and functions... my personal server is hardly touched to be fare atm and im more then willing to allow a few mods to have ftp access to upload pdo's to and then link bk to here or wiki etc

my web hosts who i have been with for over 4 years are very realistic and never offer "unlimited" bandwidth etc so for this reason for a few months i would have to put a limit on just so i dont get charged etc

my bandwodth is huge but at the same time protects me lol perhaps ssay a cap of 30/40gb a month bandwodth limit? i dnt think it'd be hit but jut incase

if mods/admins wish to pm me feel free i'd love to contribute to the forum seeing as im gaining information and the pdo's its a small offering back to everyone...

This way the files will never become invalid and mods/admins/myself can upload the pdo's etc and someone can just add a like to a post/thread etc

let me know!

P.S to anyone that wants some space and bandwidth per month purely ftp access (can have domain name too for website usuages) then pm me

rvb4life said:
wow, thats a great offer. i think the wiki should have the files hosted on there.

i no.. lol surprised i havent been pm'd yet lol :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back