405th.com -- Costuming Wiki -- Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like the most appropriate way of getting this figured out. Glad to see everyone take a deep breath, really shows how mature you all are :]

I was just thinking, man I see it now. I understand. The 405th, the one stop shop for all things Halo Costuming, that's why the wiki should be here, so everything is here. I get it.

So I guess our next step is to set up our own video sharing site, to get all that pesky information, tutorial, showcase, etc videos off of youtube, that way we have all the videos and its here, at the 405th! So, lets get this wiki up and start on the youtube clone as well. Remember, we need to keep this all in house for the members of the 405th

TheRob said:
I was just thinking, man I see it now. I understand. The 405th, the one stop shop for all things Halo Costuming, that's why the wiki should be here, so everything is here. I get it.
So I guess our next step is to set up our own video sharing site, to get all that pesky information, tutorial, showcase, etc videos off of youtube, that way we have all the videos and its here, at the 405th! So, lets get this wiki up and start on the youtube clone as well. Remember, we need to keep this all in house for the members of the 405th

Sarcasm?... Nah... youtube is fine... its member's personal youtube account that keeps their videos...

Now if it were on youtube, for all members videos.. then I'd agree with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheRob said:

I do believe you miss the point. Copying all the info of a site to another and uploading a promotional video are two different birds. :cautious:

Spase said:
Sarcasm?... Nah... youtube is fine... its member's personal youtube account that keeps their videos...
Now if it were on youtube, for all members videos.. then I'd agree with that.
..What? Perhaps you can explain a little bit better.

DoC ByTeS said:
I do believe you miss the point. Copying all the info of a site to another and uploading a promotional video are two different birds. :cautious:
Is there profit being stolen? No. Credit, then? No.
The only thing being done is better organization, and somehow the administration of the 405th seems to be taking offense to that.

Adam said:
We all know the wiki is valuable. No one is arguing that. But, why shouldn't it be part of this site? You could still be admin of it.

If you don't trust us, why even bother being on "our" site?

So Vrogy you have your say, so why not answer the simple question I know you read.

I think Sean has the right idea about that posting idea, and I am sorry in I come off harsh, but why is it the ones that wish to say things against the idea of keep info with the 405th will not answer simple questions or respond to what they want to ignore?

I wouldn't even mention this, because I hates to argue, and I think that we're just trading jabs at this point until the Poll gets put up but..

Can you see any differences or similarities between these two pages:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=120117

http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Safety

Hmm. aside from the pictures being missing the text seems very similar, if not identical. But lets say I wanted to know who the author was.. hmmm.. that information seems to be missing!

Thats the complaint with hosting the wiki outside the site, it does give the impression that credits will be lost. I am aware Vrogy that you do point people back to the 405th whenever appropriate, but since the content is generated here.. Ido think that the members of this forum have a say in deciding what is done with it. That was the one thing we overlooked when approving your proposal for the wiki... but we can now correct that oversight.

I've got the poll ready, so perhaps we should let the members of this forum decide, and stop assuming that we're all acting in their best interests.

Poll thread coming..

Thanks for pointing that out, Sean. I've added credit to the page.
If you notice, I didn't write that page- but the author has been reprimanded.

Sean Bradley said:
I wouldn't even mention this, because I hates to argue, and I think that we're just trading jabs at this point until the Poll gets put up but..

Can you see any differences or similarities between these two pages:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=120117

http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Safety
Hmm. aside from the pictures being missing the text seems very similar, if not identical. But lets say I wanted to know who the author was.. hmmm.. that information seems to be missing!

Thats the complaint with hosting the wiki outside the site, it does give the impression that credits will be lost. I am aware Vrogy that you do point people back to the 405th whenever appropriate, but since the content is generated here.. Ido think that the members of this forum have a say in deciding what is done with it. That was the one thing we overlooked when approving your proposal for the wiki... but we can now correct that oversight.

I've got the poll ready, so perhaps we should let the members of this forum decide, and stop assuming that we're all acting in their best interests.

Poll thread coming..

Other difference, the content on the wiki is now under an explicit license. Neither good nor bad, just different.

I pretty much said 'Yes' to everything except I voted for an Integrated Wiki and the Wiki to remain off site. I think the Wiki should be kept on it's own to help out with bandwidth as well as a lot of other things.

As for the stickies, there are just too many unneeded posts in them. If the unneeded posts were deleted and the tutorial threads were locked, new members would be willing to read them more, unlike having a thread where the tutorial posts are spread out inside 1,000 replies. I myself haven't read all the stickies, don't get me wrong, I try to read as much as I can, but I do not have the time to skim through 1,600+ posts looking for answers.

Should we remove unnecessary posts from stickied tutorial threads?
Yes - makes information easier to absorb and read

Should a 'Tutorial Directory' thread be stickied in each forum and all others removed?
Yes - its a huge organization issue when there are a ton of threads. Having a Nice Organized area would be nice. I think thats why the wiki is so attractive right now. Because at this point, it is more organized than anything the 405th has.

Should tutorials be locked when stickied, with a link to a seperate discussion thread?
No - I want to be able to read people's issues that they come across and fix-its/solutions.

Should the wiki be moved on-site?
Yes - ultimately i believe that having the wiki on site would be better for the site in the long run.

Should a 'Wiki Directory' thread be stickied in each forum and all others removed?
No opinion - wouldnt probably need it because the wiki is already so organized.

Would you prefer a 'Master Tutorial', or an integrated 405th Wiki?
Integrated Wiki - because the organization is already there. If you can somehow make this Master Tutorial easy to navigate then I would prefer that.

I moved it over from poll

Whatever the outcome I'm glad this matter draws to a close. Again thanks to Sean for setting up the poll and ending an ongoing debate. And for everyone else that help to determine this, I hope you all know I worry about the BEST for the site and soon to be club. I have no ill will to any of you.

If this works out, I think we'll have a new model for how to mediate debates like this in the future. I'm optimistic about reaching some concensus among the membership here.. it's excellent information to quantify how everyone feels on matters like this. Democracy in action. ;)

I'm not exactly sure where it falls in the voting, but I do have a concern as well.

I think that if we move the wiki back here, we should make sure that we don't have duplicated information laying on our board (ie, a tutorial stickied, then the same wiki tutorial right next to it) it just takes up more space.

Though I don't really like having the 405th wiki, and would rather keep the one on wikia. I am pretty sure no matter what, there will be a 405th wiki because minds have already been made up.

The one thing I want most out of the 405th wiki, besides normal wiki rules etc, is that there be a new amendment to the forum rules that whatever is posted for use on the forums/community is automatically allowed for usage on the wiki. That's my thing, no more having to ask for permission from everyone, if its posted for the community it should be able to be posted in the wiki. Under the wiki rules as well, turn this place into a free information playground so its easier for everyone.

As to what I voted for, I want the wiki offsite, a master tut, the tuts cleaned and sorted. But I don't want this to get in the way of Charter Progress and Dragoncon prep from the mods now. We can wait, this doesnt have to be done now. The most important thing is the charter for the club. The forum progress is free time and we can figure out to do this a smarter way, if we just slow down and think.

TheRob said:
But I don't want this to get in the way of Charter Progress and Dragoncon prep from the mods now. We can wait, this doesnt have to be done now. The most important thing is the charter for the club.

couldn't agree more. This really isn't the top of our priorities

TheRob said:
The one thing I want most out of the 405th wiki, besides normal wiki rules etc, is that there be a new amendment to the forum rules that whatever is posted for use on the forums/community is automatically allowed for usage on the wiki. That's my thing, no more having to ask for permission from everyone, if its posted for the community it should be able to be posted in the wiki. Under the wiki rules as well, turn this place into a free information playground so its easier for everyone.
This is a fantastic idea. I'd gladly maintain a wiki hosted on the 405th with this and one other stipulation.

TheRob said:
But I don't want this to get in the way of Charter Progress and Dragoncon prep from the mods now. We can wait, this doesnt have to be done now.
Thirded. It's amazing how quickly this is getting resolved- I can only imagine how fast the Charter would have gotten done if the same public, democratic approach was taken when it was suggested.

Well I know you don't trust us :p but I can confirm that it woundn't be going any faster that way. This was more of a yes/no option on several items, and we still had issues with wording. The charter is all wording.. and will therefore likely go through similar difficulties when it goes live. We'll cross that when get to it. Maybe we'll do something similar to the poll.

I'm sorry that you don't approve of how the charter is being done, but imagine a hundred people all wanting their version represented, and trying to appease them in the drafts.. versus 9 mods.. would it would have gone any faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back