405Th Gencon Indy Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakku

Workshop Status:

Still Preparing!

Major Requirements: Pamphlets need content, pepakura demo needs printed cardstock.

Everything else is pretty much covered at the bare minimum. Still need more, though!

6/99 tickets have been sold to event as of July 16.

405th Members Attending Gencon:

Drakku

LeeKegan

Spartan137

Noble

rvb18

Loess

{Cortana

AlyxOokami

Ehkru

Might Be Attending:

smick6

---

Goooood evening, fellow members!

As a few of you may know (but probably more of you know not), the 405th is proudly hosting a costuming workshop at GenCon Indy, Friday, August 14, at 9:00am.

I, along with our renowned Elite member LeeKegan, will be teaching potential members the process of our creations.

And that’s about all we have planned.

So that’s where you guys come in!

I need your opinions, suggestions, and help to make this first foray a successful one.

This is what I’m thinking will go down in our two hours:

- Introduction to the 405th

- Pepakura hands-on experience

- Discussing each step with examples of works in progress

- Show finished products and allow audience interaction

- Q&A with LeeKegan and I

- Photo-op with members of 405th

Also, I wanted to do some door prizes, like 405th lanyards that Adam was kind enough to give a few towards.

I was thinking hand plate casts? They seem simple to make a lot of, and they are rather neat.

And! A raffle for a bigger prize, such as a helmet or something else. If my Hayabusa is finished by then, I'll offer that up as the raffle prize. But if anyone wants to donate something, we could have multiple drawings.

So anyway, this is where I need help. Please let me know if you can contribute!

And note, if you’re submitting things to let us borrow for the workshop you will get them back, I swear it!

Color Scheme: We will have it there, we might have it there.

Introduction to 405th

I’m going to be handing out a pamphlet about our community, what we do, and have a bunch of references in case people want to start making armor like us.

What we need:

Content to fill the pamphlet. E-zine writers, perhaps old articles that cover integral parts of the pepping process?

Kaya Tetsu has offered help

Pepakura Demo

We need pepakura examples for the audience to get some hands-on learning of putting a pepakura piece together. I’d like it to be of something simple that the audience can easily finish within the 2 hour workshop. I’m thinking grenade, or maybe low-def hand plates?

What we need:

Pre-cut pepakura pieces of the simplest pep file we can offer.

kasper is providing MK5 back plate, child Thigh piece, Iron-Man Helmet

Drakku is providing Arbiter neck plates, small Arbiter chest/back armor

Discussion/Examples of WIPs

I’d like to be able to show: a finished pep, a resin’d pep, a fiberglassed pep, a bondo’d pep, and finally, a painted product. Also casts. Most of these I’ll have examples of, it’d just be more fun to have multiple users contributing, y’know?

What we need:

User-created items they don’t mind letting us borrow for the convention. They WILL be returned, you have my word.

Drakku is providing

- An Ithica Hayabusa helmet cast

- An Ithica Recon helmet cast

- Sculpted masters of my Arbiter armor

LeeKegan is providing

- M6C ODST Pistol* with molds/casts

- Primered Battle Rifle*

kasper is providing an EVA helmet with bondo

Loess is providing

- Rundown Mk V helm, pepped, resined, and lined with smooth-cast.

- H3 version ODST shoulder, Pepped & glassed, partially bondoed.

- H2 ODST gear

- Lee Battle Rifle*

(LeeKegan's original and Loess' kit should be interesting to show together)

Finished Products and Audience Interaction

Examples of finished armor, weapons, etc, to show the audience the potential of pepakura and the process we use.

What we need:

Finished armor, weapons, etc, to be borrowed until the end of the convention.

Drakku is providing an Adam Assault Rifle

LeeKegan is providing

- M6G Pistol*

- Rube's ODST Helmet

- Privateer's Pilot Helmet and Armor

- Adam's Marine Helmet

Ithica is providing

- Soaring Hammer props (including plasma grenade)

Drakku may be providing a smick6 Spiker*

Photo-Op with 405th Members

I know of quite a few of us that will be there. We’re having an official gathering on Saturday, but after the Friday workshop, I’ll see how many of us I can wrangle up to be there.

{Cortana will be Cortana

Loess will be an ODST (I'm assuming?)

(Anyone else have suits they can wear for people to take pics? I'm thinking also letting them take their own pictures holding the weapons, wearing some of the helmets, etc.)

Door and Rifle Prizes, Giveaways

Items to be handed out or raffled off, to generate interest in the event and the site.

Drakku is donating an unfinished Hayabusa helmet [raffle] ( <-- will offer to finish it for them and ship it. )

rube is donating an ODST helmet [raffle]

{Cortana may be donating a Cortana plushie [raffle]

* The weapons with stars are pending approval from Gencon staff. We may be unable to bring them, or we may need to modify them for safety reasons.

So there we go, let’s start planning this out! After all, we already have one person that bought a ticket to the event! Haha.

Again, any suggestions to help make this an even better experience are greatly appreciated.

And also, please note:

A workshop is not the same as an exhibition booth. We cannot sell anything during the workshop. We can simply state some users have items for sale, and if they are interested, to contact them.

I was getting a very strict explanation from the woman helping me organize the event.

If this event is a success, we can plan much further in the future for getting an actual booth to sell our props and generate some interest and some profit on the side for the users.

Other things for me to keep track of: Need to get raffle tickets. Check prices on printing out pamphlets at store versus at home. Double check workshop arrangements. Contact staff about weapon approval. Need to buy glue.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow i cant belive the 405th is going to have its own work shop. Adam must be proud like a father when he sees his son ride a bike for the first time. I dont have much but i have a couple things i have pepped and not going to do anything with like a MK5 back peice large scale as well as and ironman helmet and a EVA helmet thats got some bondo that i dont think im finishing either you want any of the just let me know

PM sent. You might talk to Dreads. He is awesome when it comes to pepping and he lives in Chicago. Not to far away.

I've got some time, what would you like written? I'm a bit busy tomorrow,but the rest of the week is open as far as I know. So I could have something for the pamphlet done. Just let me know.

I think low-def hand plates would be less frustrating than grenades,but thats personal opinion. This sounds great, hope it turns out well. I'm sure you'll have a pretty large audience. If you're going to let people make pep there, are you going to use hot glue, or Elmer's glue, or what?

I'll be free to help at the workshop. I can bring a bunch of pep at various stages of completion, loads of progress pics, and hopefully, I'll get some molding and scratch-building done before Gencon.

For the hands-on pep, I'd suggest some ODST parts. The H2 stuff is really fast to assemble, and some of the H3/WETA parts aren't too bad for beginners.

kasper said:
I dont have much but i have a couple things i have pepped and not going to do anything with like a MK5 back peice large scale as well as and ironman helmet and a EVA helmet thats got some bondo that i dont think im finishing either you want any of the just let me know
Don't have much? Considering what we've got so far, that's more than awesome! If you're willing to let us borrow 'em, I can send them back out to you after the convention. Drop me a PM if that sounds good.

LeeKegan said:
PM sent. You might talk to Dreads. He is awesome when it comes to pepping and he lives in Chicago. Not to far away.
PM received. Duly noted, I'll speak with Dreads. Isn't he maybe bringing his Warthog? :D

Kaya Tetsu said:
I've got some time, what would you like written? I'm a bit busy tomorrow,but the rest of the week is open as far as I know. So I could have something for the pamphlet done. Just let me know.

I think low-def hand plates would be less frustrating than grenades,but thats personal opinion. This sounds great, hope it turns out well. I'm sure you'll have a pretty large audience. If you're going to let people make pep there, are you going to use hot glue, or Elmer's glue, or what?
Pretty much, I just need an introduction about the 405th, what we are and what we do. Then individual sections going over each step of the process. Aka, about pepakura, how it works, how to do it, then next section goes over the resin process, etc. Most of it will just be gathering information we already have lying around the site, which I can do, but I figured it'd be more fun for other users to submit content to include.

Yeah, hand plates are seeming to be the easiest. Probably be what we do.
We're probably going to just use Elmer's, as access to cords for hot glue guns is not a very viable option. That, and the audience is all ages, we'd need to keep it safe for all ages, etc. We'll have a maximum audience of 99 people, so that's quite a bit!

Loess said:
I'll be free to help at the workshop. I can bring a bunch of pep at various stages of completion, loads of progress pics, and hopefully, I'll get some molding and scratch-building done before Gencon.

For the hands-on pep, I'd suggest some ODST parts. The H2 stuff is really fast to assemble, and some of the H3/WETA parts aren't too bad for beginners.
Awesome Loess, it'd be great to have you on board. Unfortunately, Gencon has us limited as far as EMs we can have, so it'll just be Lee and I with fancy badges and all-access, you'd have to buy an event ticket. But you're more than welcome to come up and help with the presentation!

I'll look into ODST parts as well. I just want something the audience can clearly identify and can take home the same day, so any parts that are simple and recognizable would be great!

First post soon to be updated with new informations.
Keep the stuff coming, guys! Let's make this amazing!

I would love to offer some of my services for this workshop. I might even be able to donate a few Halo related items for the raffle prizes, maybe even Cortana, Chief and Arby plushies. :D I'll either PM you or post again later tonight, when I'm not busy, with a rundown of what I could do. This is getting REALLY exciting, especially for GenCon being my first con ever. (y)

Just grabbed a pair of tickets for Annie and myself, and made sure that my schedule was clear after the workshop so I can stay for the photo-op.

if your doing this all week end il be there in ether my mark V or an ODST (if i get it done)

PS if i say hey im with the 405th dudes will i be able to help with out a ticket?(il be there with a standard pass already i just am wondering about extras i might need)

{Cortana said:
I would love to offer some of my services for this workshop. I might even be able to donate a few Halo related items for the raffle prizes, maybe even Cortana, Chief and Arby plushies. :D I'll either PM you or post again later tonight, when I'm not busy, with a rundown of what I could do. This is getting REALLY exciting, especially for GenCon being my first con ever. :w00t:
Awesome! Just hit me up when you have an idea of what you could manage. Don't feel like you have to go out of the way for something, just anything would do!
Also, I'm hoping you'd be able to make it for the Photo-Op in your Cortana cosplay? And if your boyfriend does end up having his Spartan armor, that would be great, too. And, again, as I mentioned earlier, you'd need to buy tickets to get into the actual workshop, unfortunately, but once you're in, if you'd like to throw in some discussion for the audience, that'd be great.

Loess said:
Just grabbed a pair of tickets for Annie and myself, and made sure that my schedule was clear after the workshop so I can stay for the photo-op.
Aww, and here I was super excited I saw two more tickets sell. But that's all good! Proceeds from this, by the way, go towards the booth next year. And if you can stay for the photos, that'd be great! But we'll also inform them of our scheduled gathering on Saturday, so if they're uber nerds desperate for pictures, they can show up then. Haha.

rvb18 said:
if your doing this all week end il be there in ether my mark V or an ODST (if i get it done)

PS if i say hey im with the 405th dudes will i be able to help with out a ticket?(il be there with a standard pass already i just am wondering about extras i might need)
Awesome. And unfortunately, the workshop is only that one day, but we have an official gathering on Saturday. That's about all that's lined up. If this year's workshop is a success, we may see about doing more next year.
As for helping out, you would still need to get a ticket. Once you're inside, though, just find either LeeKegan or I and we can be sure you're up by the front to help answer questions, etc.

This may be something I can attend. It sounds like a blast.
Where do you find the workshop info on the gencon site? I looked a bit then got lazy and decided to ask you guys.

mmmmm hard to decide I'm 15 so my mother has to come but she'll ditch me and go were ever . i live an hour away so il ether go all day Friday or all day Saturday. i know, vote on it, because idc which day i go.

Just to question, will we still be having a 405th gathering on saturday the 15th? I'm not going to be able to attend, as it's my second day of school, but I'd love to meet some 405th folks!

I'd definitely do the workshop if I could. I'd learn more there then I would at school!

smick6 said:
This may be something I can attend. It sounds like a blast.
Where do you find the workshop info on the gencon site? I looked a bit then got lazy and decided to ask you guys.
Awesome! It'd be great to have you there.
The only info up on the workshop is on the Gencon Registration site: http://www.genconreg.com/events/6069
If you can't view it, you may need an account or something..
Anyway, we'll be up in the event booklets and such when they're released during the convention, so I expect a boom in attendance.

rvb18 said:
mmmmm hard to decide I'm 15 so my mother has to come but she'll ditch me and go were ever . i live an hour away so il ether go all day Friday or all day Saturday. i know, vote on it, because idc which day i go.
I'd suggest Saturday, honestly. Friday would be fun, but Saturday is when we're aiming to do the official get-together.

Spartan137 said:
Just to question, will we still be having a 405th gathering on saturday the 15th? I'm not going to be able to attend, as it's my second day of school, but I'd love to meet some 405th folks!

I'd definitely do the workshop if I could. I'd learn more there then I would at school!
Agh, I wouldn't tell you to skip school, but it's up to you. I'm still thinking of the gathering happening the 15th, so if not everyone can make it Friday, there's always then. I'm sure we can keep discussing creation techniques when we're together then! So you won't miss out on much.

rube said:
I'll donate an ODST helmet for a raffle.
:DDD
I just did a happy dance. Thanks a ton! I'm sure you could ship it to either Lee or I, but shipping may be less to get it to him? Not sure. Haha.

Thanks for all the support, everyone! This is starting to get underway, and I'm feeling it'll be a great success!

Ok, God-willing the last 96 tickets hold out until the 26th (when I get paid), I'll have bought both my registration and workshop tickets. :D

You can mark me down as Cortana for the photo-op with the 405th members. ;) There's no way I'm missing out on that.

Still trying to figure out something that I can donate for the raffle, most likely a Cortana plushie.

Hey guys! Just letting you know, this hasn't died, and we still need your two cents.

Please glance over the lists of things we need to see if there's anywhere you could help.

Thanks! :3

Hey im sorry its taking me a while to send this stuff out, me and my wife just tried to buy a house so i was not able to but i will try to get it out to you this week. Im not sure of the shipping but it wont be cheap its a big box, heres a list of things in it

MK5 back pack

Eva helmet bondoed

Ironman pepped helmet

and child size thigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back