405th Rank Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primal Weyland

Sorry for the new thread but we believe that this is a valid topic for discussion. For those that believe this is just a reiteration of the “Ranking discussion” thread the proposals in that thread were of a forum based system where rank is based around post count. In contrast this thread puts forward a proposal that rewards good work, has no reliance on post count and instead of providing a hierarchical structure provides a method of marking experience within the 405th. Most of the material here was collaborative between SinjinSmiley and Primal Weyland, but other ideas are welcome.

Ranks

We believe we should use the actual UNSC ranks rather than the Halo multiplayer ranks.

According to Halopedia the UNSC Marine ranking system consists of:

Enlisted
<ul>[*]Private[*]Private First Class[*]Lance Corporal[*]Corporal[*]Sergeant[*]Staff Sergeant[*]Gunnery Sergeant[*]First Sergeant/Master Sergeant[*]Sergeant Major/Master Gunnery Sergeant[*]Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps[/list]
Officers
<ul>[*]Second Lieutenant[*]First Lieutenant[*]Captain[*]Major[*]Lieutenant Colonel[*]Colonel[*]Brigadier General[*]Major General[*]Lieutenant General[*]General[/list]
Straight off I think that we can strike off Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps as:

1. This is a unique position a so would not fit in the system defined below
2. No proof exists of the existence of this rank within the Halo universe
3. As a division the 405th is unlikely to contain this officer even if it does exist in the universe

In addition I would advise only using the First Sergeant and Sergeant Major promotional track thus getting rid of the Master Sergeant and Master Gunnery Sergeant ranks because:

1. It is a lot simpler to only have one promotional track rather than a track which splits part way through the enlisted ranks
2. The Sergeant Major track has general command status whilst the Master provides technical leadership
3. Sergeant Major Avery Johnson is better known than the only known Master Gunnery Sergeant who was in charge of the armoury in Cairo Station

We believe that the ranks above Captain should be reserved for Division and Regiment command staff (Major -> Colonel for Regiment and Brigadier General -> General for Division).

Progression

Promotions should occur based upon armour quality, service within the forums, total time in service (TiS) and attendances at events, in the following manner:
<ul>[*]Promotion to Recruit upon registering with the 405th. Promotion to Apprentice and Apprentice Grade 2 at 6-month intervals, capped at Apprentice Grade 2 until armour is completed.[*]Promotion to Private upon completion of armour meeting 405th specifications as defined by the charter.[*]Three months per rank for Enlisted members up to and including First Sergeant (one year, nine months in total), with six months from then on to reach the Sergeant Major rank (making a total of two years and three months to reach the top enlisted rank).[*]Another six months per rank for Officers up to and including Captain (one year, six months to complete Lower Officer ranks).[*]Accessibility to Higher Officer Ranks (Major and above) only available to those appointed to either Regimental or Divisional Command Staffs (Major -> Colonel for Regiment and Brigadier General -> General for Division). Appointment to said Command Staff causes instant promotion to the rank associated with the position. If the member then left the Command Staff they would keep their rank.[*]Event attendance leads to promotions. One event per enlisted rank. Two events per officer rank. [*]Good service may, from time to time, be rewarded with a promotion (the value of which would depend on the level of service).[*]Demotions may occur for poor behaviour. Poor forum conduct may warrant one rank removal - poor behaviour at conventions or more serious offences may warrant further measures.[/list]
This system should prevent the 405th from getting too 'top heavy' with officers, and admittedly it needs tweaking, but it's a basis at least for the SPARTAN and Forum ranks.

To those still worried about the years being thrown around in these proposals we think that instead of just progressing due to the time rules most people would progress due to event attendance and other acts which would warrant promotions. Progression due to time would simply be a backup.

Counter Arguments

We are sure this topic will cause controversy so we have summed up our views on what we see to be the main arguments against ranks and they are posted below. No offense intended to the original posters the quotes used were chosen as they best summed up the general arguments not due to the poster.

No ranks, because they would either be meaningless, or would enable folks to boss each other around.

The point of the ranking system portrayed in this post is not to provide a hierarchical structure where those higher up can boss around those lower down but simply as a method of rewarding those that work hard and as an indication of the experience of members. So whilst you won’t be ordered around by those higher up you might go to them at an event if you need some help as they are more experienced. In other words - rank doesn't necessarily give power. It's a symbol of status, nothing more - although some of the older, higher-ranked members MAY want to take certain responsibilities such as drill or certain command roles at events, if they wish.

It seems the whole point of "ranks" is so that some members can try to make themselves feel important.

This argument is flawed as it sets up a straw man (a misrepresentation of the argument is presented and then refuted making it seem that the original argument has been refuted). However, a counter-argument is still viable.

The ranks are not intended to make members feel more self-important but to reward their hard work. Those members that are promoted for their hard work are likely to already know their value and their place and the promotion simply is the thanks given by the organisation for their work. Again, rank displays experience rather than it displays power.

The idea of folks in positions having the officer ranks sounds ok, except that it means they couldn't be in "normal" marine costumes with that rank. For example, anyone seen Lord Hood in his Pelican Pilot uniform?

This depends on perspective. If you see it as the costume defining the character then indeed your argument is valid. However, if you see it as the character defining the costume a whole new way of thinking can emerge. Let’s take the Pelican Pilot and Admiral as an example. Whilst it is unlikely that an Admiral will be a Pelican it is a whole lot less unlikely that an Admiral will own and on occasion wear a Flight Suit. Now whilst the Pelican Pilot and the Flight Suit costumes are the same their use depends on perspective.

No real reason for ranks, People just Spam to work up to the biggest post count possible.
Spamming is of course a problem which is why post count has no part in the system proposed above. We realise that spammers will abuse the system to 'level up' as it were, and so the method of incorporating a time and experience-based system seems more fair. Basing rank structure purely from forum activities seems a little foolish - the 405th will eventually be a public presence, not just an internet presence, and so real life has to be taken into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Primal Weyland said:
QFT

You are amazing XD

And yes, I think we should have ranks, not to "boss everyone around" but more to add realism. The UNSC is a military organisation. Ranks would be also helpful if for exemple I'm a Private and I have a few questions I want to ask to experienced members during a convention (I said If :p). If also I don't know anyone's face, if I see a Captain, I know he might be pretty experienced and I can ask all my questions.

Prior to an event, you'll know who's going to be there, and pictures attached to their profiles should indicate who the more experienced folks are. When in doubt, simply ask and I'm sure you'll find someone who can help with whatever issue you're facing.

Costumes includes ranks as part of the costume. Having a club rank would interefere with the costumes, and prevent folks like Adam from ever getting to be a marine, or anything else for that matter, unless you ruined the canon ranks for the costumes. If someone were to do a costume based on Lord Hood, they would be unable to wear suitable rank with the costume.

As discussed, it has no place in the 405th Club.

Forum related ranks are different, and unrelated to the 405th club. non-club members will still be members of the forums.

It IS a valid FORUM suggestion worthy of consideration, but personally I think it suggests that newcomers couldn't possibly bring skills to the table. Experience is the best teacher, but it's never the only one. In most instances if someone offers you a suggestion, you need to take it with a grain of salt, no matter WHO the source is. To do anything less would be potentially dangerous, and possibly useless to your situation anyways. Who knows how that person's situation might differ from yours?

For example, if someone asked" hey, how can I electroplate my Hayabusa mask?" and I busted in with.. "ohh.. sulpho plastics are the way to go because the graphite in it will allow you to easily electroplate it at home using this kit from Castwell." I would be 100% correct, but if you then did the research you'd find that the only methods of working with sulpho plastics listed online are dangerous to say the least, (without any warnings in the directions, so hopefully you'd investigate even further before going for it), and the electroplating kit may be something inobtainable for your location, due to the chemicals involved." If you "went for it" you'd find nothing but failure, but someone who already works with Sulphur and is familiar with the risks involved and has all the safety stuff in-place already could jump on it easily with full success.

However, that being said, I think it's a good idea to show recognition to those that actually do this stuff, if only to pat them on the back.. but that's pretty much what the galleries and stuff are for, and blogs which give links to WIPS and stuff like that. If they have none of this stuff.. their suggestions might merely be guesses or "book smarts".. if they go on for miles with their achievements, then more often than not they know what they're talking about.

You get to know the difference after awhile though.. it's not like you need to research every member you encounter.. just the ones you see around offerring advice. Then make your own judgement call. We can't give rank for being pep masters and have anyone assume that their expertise would work with vacuum forming, and vice versa. Suffice it to say.. if you make stuff and share the info.. folks will know your work. Brag and do nothing, and they'll know your work too.

Deadguy said:
Costumes includes ranks as part of the costume. Having a club rank would interefere with the costumes, and prevent folks like Adam from ever getting to be a marine, or anything else for that matter, unless you ruined the canon ranks for the costumes. If someone were to do a costume based on Lord Hood, they would be unable to wear suitable rank with the costume.

You're missing the entire point.

Nobody's saying that you have to go along and that you have to conform to your given rank. Nor are we saying 'rank gives power' - I thought I stated that in my original post. So, for your clarification:

This system wasn't devised to be 'rigid'. It wasn't devised to exclude people from using alternate costumes, should they wish. Hell no - if a Captain wanted to co along in a Marine Sergeant outfit, then he'd be more than welcome to and nobody would stop him.

Think of it like this: the 'given rank' is a background thing. It doesn't actually affect anything, it's more a way to state how well you've done so far in the 405th and how experienced you are.

...but personally I think it suggests that newcomers couldn't possibly bring skills to the table.

Again, no it doesn't - you seem awfully biased on the idea that a low rank automatically means low skill. This is why I suggested a benchmark for promotion after a member has completed a regulation set of kit, and why Sinjin suggested promotions for exceptional efforts within the community - if a member shows promise then he or she is promoted for it. For example, I might be promoted if I complete a set of Recon armor, while SkullCandy Girl might be promoted upon the release of the WETA ODST armor files.

Rank shows skill. A higher rank means that member has earned the merit of such a position - and I quote myself:

It's a symbol of status, nothing more.

People who do more get more. People who do less get less, and sit around at the lower ranks - they don't get the privelage of a promotion because they haven't done anything to merit it (true, that sounds harsh, but it isn't intended to be, I assure you). it's more of a way of motivation, I would venture to say - the prospect of a higher rank would spur people on to produce some good-quality products or provide services to the 405th, and have something else to be proud for.

Deadguy said:
As I'm sure you read in our counter arguments section:
This depends on perspective. If you see it as the costume defining the character then indeed your argument is valid. However, if you see it as the character defining the costume a whole new way of thinking can emerge. Let's take the Pelican Pilot and Admiral as an example. Whilst it is unlikely that an Admiral will be a Pelican it is a whole lot less unlikely that an Admiral will own and on occasion wear a Flight Suit. Now whilst the Pelican Pilot and the Flight Suit costumes are the same their use depends on perspective.
Let's illustrate this point.
generalez4.png

On the left is General James N Mattis. On the right is General James N Mattis.

Just because he is wearing battledress in the left picture does not make him any less a General. Now the inspiration for the UNSC Marine Corps largely comes from the US marines so we can probably assume that General's in the UNSC can wear battledress. If that battledress happens to be a marine costume or an ODST costume or even (stretching the definition here a bit) Mjolnir armour they are still a General.

PS. Sorry if this post has a snappy tone - its half one so I'm not exactly at my most verbose.

Good point with the General.

And even if people don't like ranks, they don't have to wear them :p

Let's hear Deadguy's counterattack :) -jk

I have to agree on some levels here, I was a "Veteran Member" before I had even attempted folding pep. I think some kind of experience based member ranks would be better. Veteran being reserved for some one who at the least has completed a piece or two. Or I guess any of those new ranks you talked about. I just kind of skimmed some of that years, experience and events stuff.

leegrisham said:
I have to agree on some levels here, I was a "Veteran Member" before I had even attempted folding pep. I think some kind of experience based member ranks would be better. Veteran being reserved for some one who at the least has completed a piece or two. Or I guess any of those new ranks you talked about. I just kind of skimmed some of that years, experience and events stuff.

Yet again, I feel I must clarify:

This scheme does not take into account forum rankings. It's been designed for the Infantry Division, once it's set up. The group you're a part of in the forum (be it Veteran, or plain Member), holds no regard here.

Congratulations Primal and Sinjin, this discussion has been more enlightening than I thought it would be :] :love:

I actually agree with EVERYTHING these two ^ have stated, this is what I believe would make the 405th real, whether at a convention or just getting together with your 405th buddies (coughstateplatooncough, lol). I believe it will also push those that really want to be part of this community to do their absolute best.

Sorry I'm rambling, I just woke up and cant really put words together just yet... I'll edit this later lol.

Ok, I'm rebuted two different ways at the same time, plus the listed reasons for doing this are multiple and conflicting.

If someone is wearing an officers uniform, and they are not wearing officer insignia, they are not wearing canon costume. period.

And even if people don't like ranks, they don't have to wear them
Sure, and you don't have to wear a helmet on your spartan costume either, but you'd be considered out of costume, or at least have an unfinished costume. Ranks are part of the costumes.

How does this not make sense to you? In a costume club, you wear a costume that has appropriate markings on it that match what the games has.. this includes little stickers here and there.. padded areas, visors, and rank insignias.

In the military, you wear a uniform with corresponding ranks insignia. In costume there's little to no point in actually holding a rank because the whole point is that it's not really YOU anymore, it's an imaginary character from an imaginary game universe. If YOU are seen in your costume, rather than your "character", your costume is not doing it's job.

All this talk of "who do I go to" to find someone with experience to help you, has nothing to do with wearing a costume at an event. That's a question of creating a costume, which is a function of the forums, not of the 405th club. yes, it's possible that you might want to talk about difficulties you're having with something, but c'mon.. is this rare occasion really a significant reason to install a rank and reward program? You've already stated that it would merely be a "status thing" only, so this It's a function of the boards, not of the Club.

However, if you see it as the character defining the costume a whole new way of thinking can emerge.
Yes, a very limiting one that says.. "hey you're in the military, and are a Spartan, you own a spartan uniform, so why the hell are you pretending to be a marine now? And why pretending to be an elite, etc.." Please show me evidence of an augmented Spartan pretending to be marines/elites/naval personnel/ from in-game, or marines pretending to be Spartans, and we'll look at the whole thing differently.

In-game = Canon
In head = no-canon

UNSC Marine Corps largely comes from the US marines so we can probably assume that General's in the UNSC can wear battledress

In-game = Canon
In head = no-canon

Think of it like this: the 'given rank' is a background thing. It doesn't actually affect anything, it's more a way to state how well you've done so far in the 405th and how experienced you are.

I understand the concept of "wear rank if you want to, not if it interefere's with your costumes, or what costumes you can choose to wear". Take the concept and reverse it.. assign yourself rank and use it however you want to, but please don't wear non-canon versions of the costumes.

Again.. you can build your own reputation in the forums.. even if I came along and knighted you king of the world, it's not going to mean much. Your contributions and reputations are self-evident, and by definition if your stuff is worthy of appreciation, it's being appreciated, and everyone that follows in your steps is showing their respect to your decisions and choices. The 405th Club is not something that's meant to justify your work or something.. it's a volunteer club where you volunteer stuff. The end result and personal pride is either justification enough, or realistically you're looking for something that isn't there. Presumably, it's why you're here.

Status within the club is simply reputation.. it comes from within and is recognized by those around you through your words and actions. If they are unaware that you have made something, you have either not shared it's creation in an appreciation worthy manner, or it's simply not something they are interested in.

There are plenty of strong contributors to the club that will never actually join the club; they will only participate in the forums and may never attend an event. It's a costume club, not neccessarily a costume making club. They're contributions are the same as many who actually decide to try and join the Club. The forums are the costume creation group, the club is a costume wearing club.

You feel it will make people do more, and I agree in terms of more work trying to hunt down who made what, who's passing off someone else's work as their own, keeping track of the actions of everyone here to ensure nothing is overlooked, etc. Plus determining "rank points" or something on an achievement by achievement basis that's fair to each method of creation, despite the arguments that come up about all that.

As far as.. "gee.. if I master pep, by making this pep AR, I'll become a sergeant", I don't know how much that will do in comparison to.. "wow.. check out that AR.. it came out great, I'd love to do something like that and MAN I'd be proud of it. These guys have done it, why can't I?.. look.. here's how they did it.. that rocks! They've got all the info I'd need. Wow, that was really cool to share all that stuff.. I think I'll do a build log too to kinda give back to the community while learning to do this stuff."

I still think that if there are any ranks or other forms of status-indicating praise, it should be a forum thing, not a club thing, and that it's pointless to "direct praise" at things that others might not feel are particularly praiseworthy for one reason or another, and/or are simply not aligned with the interests of folks.

An achievement system similar to Xbox LIVE's system might be more appropriate than a rank system, because it could have stuff like an emblem for "Made/distributed new pep file", "Haz Recon and did a public build log for it", "Gave away armor parts for free".. this way you aren't making people praise for stuff they don't care about, nor underpraising for stuff that simply blows people's minds, etc..

It's still a forum thing though.. Wearing achievements in-costume means non-canon, even as faked ribbons on a dress uniform... not because unseen ribbons are impossible, but because they're either part of the costume as it appears in the game, or it's non-canon.

Primal Weyland said:
Sorry for the new thread but we believe that this is a valid topic for discussion. For those that believe this is just a reiteration of the “Ranking discussion” thread the proposals in that thread were of a forum based system where rank is based around post count. In contrast this thread puts forward a proposal that rewards good work, has no reliance on post count and instead of providing a hierarchical structure provides a method of marking experience within the 405th. Most of the material here was collaborative between SinjinSmiley and Primal Weyland, but other ideas are welcome.

This topic has been discussed. At length. The previous thread regarding this topic included club ranks, as well as ranks based on post count, or ranks tied to forum status, or build status. It ALSO included club ranking discussions.

Because of the very informal nature of the type of club we are attempting to create, having ranks becomes a bit of a mute point. I apologize to anyone that may not have been included in the discussion at the time. Ranks indicate time served, achievements, participation, and promotion based on merit. They also entail power, or leadership over others. The group we have exists bring us together, as a group of equals, for a common purpose, to build costumes and props related to the Halo Universe. The positions we have as Mods are administrative.

There are sure to be positions in the club, such as your geographical area administrator, but not club wide ranking system. The point of costuming standards is so that when one Spartan stands next to another spartan, the quality of craftsmanship is not readily discernible. One Marine next to another, virtually identical. There is a system in place for people with costumes not meeting standards. No the standards have not been set, but yes there will be standards. Being in the club is a symbol of achievement in its own right. It will be an indication that you have created a costume, completed a kit, or own a quality costume that meets standards.

This type of thread topic was closed before. I am closing it again. Please do not start another one. PM me if you feel that your thread has been mistreated.

-Spase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back