A 405th Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventchildmatrix

was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a little experiment with me
basicaly i would involve making a mrk vi helm and it being a team effort so basically
i size and print as well as craft a led set and then post that to the next person who scores and cuts and them sends to the next person and so on till the helm is complete
just for a bit of fun and to see how fast we can do it
the finished helm would then goto a place thatwould be agreed on by the group
how does this sound

basically but i hadn't thought about step 5 good idea
but i was more thinking

1: scale and print - Advent
2: score and cut
3: glue and resin - Godsarmor
4: fibreglass
5: bondo
6: paint - master camulous
7: installs visor and the LED's that ill make
now added is step
8: mold and cast

so list you for step 3 then?

sounds like a good idea for the most part, but the most time consuming part would be the whole transfering work to the next person/shipping. i'd be up for it though

WRising said:
sounds like a good idea for the most part, but the most time consuming part would be the whole transfering work to the next person/shipping. i'd be up for it though

if we get other members in texas who want to take part then that would reduce shipping time
hint hint armour machine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with painting it, I work at a paintball field I am sure I could get some inspiration from there.

But yeah the shipping will be an issue, also the whole, who gets to keep it thing :p until the molds come out and then we can each get one lol

Master Camulos said:
I have no problem with painting it, I work at a paintball field I am sure I could get some inspiration from there.

But yeah the shipping will be an issue, also the whole, who gets to keep it thing :p until the molds come out and then we can each get one lol

yah i think who ever is in the group if this ever gets started should chip in an that way everyone gets a mold

ok so i've updated the list with who is in and what jobs they've stated they wish to do
im thinking ask ithica if he would make the mold from the helm if this does get started or maybe adam

adventSpartanMatrix said:
ok so i've updated the list with who is in and what jobs they've stated they wish to do

you spelled my name wrong :cry:

nobody's going to want to cut and score it

I believe that whomever does the most work intensive part of this build should hold onto the helmet when fully completed. Just my two cents, although one could argue some work is more intensive than others. Just take that into consideration.

darkesword2020 said:
I believe that whomever does the most work intensive part of this build should hold onto the helmet when fully completed. Just my two cents, although one could argue some work is more intensive than others. Just take that into consideration.

yah but if you mold and cast it it would be fairly cheap split between 8

I can offer help with 1 and 2 (or just two, because I don't print stuff). I laser cut all my stuff, so there are no numbers on the tabs, but the score lines are nice and neat. I can get several out at one time too, if that helps.

basically but i hadn't thought about step 5 good idea
but i was more thinking

1: scale and print - Advent
2: score and cut
3: glue and resin - Godsarmour
4: fibreglass
5: bondo
6: paint - master camulous
7: installs visor and the LED's that ill make
now added is step
8: mold and cast
so list you for step 3 then?

Hyperdyne said:
I can offer help with 1 and 2 (or just two, because I don't print stuff). I laser cut all my stuff, so there are no numbers on the tabs, but the score lines are nice and neat. I can get several out at one time too, if that helps.

really so would you could cut ans score a whole suit in a day? (y)

I wouldnt mind cutting and scoring. Its just that I live in NC and I was wondering how much it would cost totally.

spaz47 said:
I wouldnt mind cutting and scoring. Its just that I live in NC and I was wondering how much it would cost totally.

cutting and scoring will cost very little the postage wouldn't be too much as it would just be an envelope of paper

although the laser cutting sounds interesting could we have a demo of how it looks plz?

I think this is a great idea. I would completely like to help in this expiriment. I live in TX as well about thirty miles north of Dallas. If this ever gets off the ground let me know!!

Here are a couple of shots.

It takes about an hour to cut out the pieces for a helmet, and yes, an entire suit can be cut in about a day.

I just need to prep the files in a vector based program (AutoCAD, Illustrator, etc.) because the dxf exporter from Pepakura is a little funky and puts cutlines in unwanted places at times. It is very good about putting the cutlines and fold lines on separate layers though, so there isn't too much for me to do.

I also use a datum for sizing, so I can extract my info directly from a modeling program and scale in the vector program and skip the whole Pepakura scaling process, which I find alienating and weird.

cutting and scoring will cost very little the postage wouldn't be too much as it would just be an envelope of paper

although the laser cutting sounds interesting could we have a demo of how it looks plz?

As discussed on MSN.
I think we should change something.

I'll cut and Score by the way if needbe.
Or whatever you want.

Anyway as I was saying, We're all different shapes and sizes, Maybe a helmet isn't a good idea.
How about a weapon?
I vote either:

Magnum
Assault Rifle
Spartan Laser
Post your ideas of weapons we could do, And I hope Advent can start a poll for me.

PS, If we do a weapon I'll do the reinforcing. I'll use expanding foam.

---
EDIT:
A Mk VI helmet is a bad idea, We will all have scaling troubles. Nobody is the same.

Plus, as epic as the spartan laser is, It'll be a problem to ship.

3 choices to pick from, the vote could go any way!
I'd be willing to do some bondo work, after my first helmet fail I used it to learn to shape and sand better. I iz teh bondo pro now. :eek:
Good idea on changing the helmet option, scaling would definitely be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back