Props A Change In Personal Policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
In the past week I've received five requests via PM for some of the schematics I've worked on here and also shown in my "Schematics" video thread. I never expected there to be as much interest in my drafting work as there has been, and to all who have expressed an interest I thank you.

It really means a lot to me to know my efforts are appreciated by my fellow 405th-ers.

However -- and I'd already been giving this some thought before now -- after talking to another member earlier today I've decided that I'm going to start charging a nominal fee for the schematics I'm producing.

Now, before anyone gets all in a huff about this change of policy, first let me explain.

It's enough for me to get recognition for my work (which those who have used my drafts for their projects have done so many times, and thanks for that), but at the same time given all the time and effort I do put into these, the highly-detailed SPNKr schematics being such an example, I think it's only fair I get a little something in return for what I do.

Don't think I'm trying to make a business, or any profit, from doing this. Far from it, actually. There is another member here (can't recall who; Skip, perhaps? I'm not sure) that charges a small fee for copies of the AutoCAD schematics he produces. Which in my opinion, doing the same sort of work he does (only with paper and pen, not a computer screen) is more than understandable.

The time and effort I invest in the schematics I make for these beloved HALO props could easily be spent doing other things throughout my evenings and weekends, but instead I've chosen to devote a good chunk of my time in the last couple months to making these so that others in the community here can benefit from them.

As such, looking at it from that perspective, I would hope everyone can understand and appreciate my decision with this.

To those who don't, well... sorry

Not to sound like an @$$ or anything, but as I have seen it happen on occasion where the odd member has tried to take advantage of another's generosity, I don't want the same to happen to me. Getting a PM asking for one of each schematic I've done (HALO1-3) and expecting to get it all for free is a sort of request that wouldn't be a fair one to me.

CAN I PLZ HAV ALL UR DRAWINZ? Um, no... and I think we can all agree that wouldn't be a reasonable request at all.

I mean, I don't have that much spare time to myself to just work on these. I have a life outside the 405th (as do we all). When would I ever get to spend time with the gf, for example?

I assure you all that what I charge for my future works will be minimal, but will vary slightly depending on the complexity of the schematics requested (ie. an M6D schematic would cost less than a Plasma Sword, which would cost less than a Sniper Rifle).

As for the five requests I alluded to at the beginning of this post, those will be honoured as freebies as I received them prior to this change in policy. All I ask of those five members is that they please be patient while I finish up with the SPNKr schematics for LeeKegan's next project, and then complete each of those requests in the order they came to me.

That's all, folks. SPARTAN II, signing off...

EDIT: To all those who have previously received my schematics, don't think you need to reimburse me in any way. This policy is only going into effect hereafter, and does not apply to any of my work already in the hands of others.

With all that hard work you have put in making such detailed drawings, you should get a little something in return, its only fair. If I ever plan on making a weapon, I'll make sure to come to you for all my weapon schematic needs.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

OH MY GOD!!!! ELVIS YOU ARE SUCH A JERK... I MEAN COME ON, WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE I AM MADE OF MONEY?

i kid... i kid... would i happen to be one of those 5? :rolleyes

also in the future are you going to be making deals? you know like the deal i made with ya?

love your work, and your a great dude, so i dont see why people would be upset with you charging... its like Skip.Hes a cool guy with great files, i have only bought one of his files but i plan on going back...

Thanks for your understanding, fellas. I kinda figured most members wouldn't really have a problem with that, but even so I wanted to fully explain the reason behind my decision for anyone who might not understand why.

@eclipsetuner: Um, yeah... I guess I am, lol.

@ACDCrockr: Thanks, Pony. I'd be more than happy to help you with any future weapon builds you have in mind.

@DreadMullet:

As a matter of fact, Joel, yes... I firmly believe you are a walking money tree. So pay up! :p And you are correct in that you're one of the five. So, no worries, buddy. Our deal's still good. I guess I should've mentioned that I would be willing to make deals as well. Didn't really think of that, lol.

I have a life outside the 405th (as do we all).

Wha? Is this guy serious? Whatever! :p

When a person puts that much mental work into a project, one shouldn't expect a free ride. When a free ride is offered... take it by all means, followed by much thanks and official recognition... but sometimes you have to pay for the prize. The prize? A seriously kick arse halo prop! Worth it? Every penny!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait what?!?! THIS IS RIDICULES, I WANZ MY PICZ 4 FREE !

Elvis that is absolute justified! I have seen some of your stuff, and it takes a lot of time and afford to create stuff like that so its only fair that people would pay for it.

Thanks guys, lol. I appreciate how understanding and accepting everyone's been in light of this change in policy.

Just to clarify a few things (and also to avoid any possible legalities), I would like to clearly state that what I am doing is only charging for my time being put into making items like this available to others.

That involves both my time and the materials (paper, ink) being used for each, but I am in no way actually charging for the design itself, as what I draft is the sole intellectual property of Microsoft.

I both recognize and honour that fact, and would never intend to step on their toes in that respect.

The minimal fee that will be charged for future requests will go toward additional materials (as needed), but mainly to simply partially compensate me for the time put into each.

Again, I am not in any way charging anyone for the designs themselves, as I do not own them.

Here ends this little legal disclaimer :D

Hmm.. not sounds right for me at all.
But it is just me and my particular opinion.
I think that it may be work on other forums, but not here imho.
sorry for raining on your parade spartan II =(

bevbor said:
Hmm.. not sounds right for me at all.
But it is just me and my particular opinion.
I think that it may be work on other forums, but not here imho.
sorry for raining on your parade spartan II =(

Well, to each their own, dude. I'm not going to judge you on your own opinion. You're entitled to that, and I respect your opinion.

But again, it's not like I decided on this to make some quick money or anything.

It's just, given all the time and effort I do put into the schematics I draft, in all fairness it can't be expected that I'll spend as much time as I with do every schematic for free forever.

I'm not making a business out of this, I'm just trying to get a little something in return for all my efforts. That's all :whistle:

I have been giving some thought to that, and came up with a couple options, actually. Mailed-out paper hard copies being one of them, of course. All depends on how convenient each would be for others, though.

SPARTAN II said:
I have been giving some thought to that, and came up with a couple options, actually. Mailed-out paper hard copies being one of them, of course. All depends on how convenient each would be for others, though.

Yeah i would think it would be a hell of alot better to have a people choose witch one they would want yeah the paper would take longer but it would be a lot neater to read and see then if you printed this off. See the ones i printed off was really hard to see i thats why i ask for the measurements..

Its reasonable. After all, time is your most valuable resource. You can never get it back.

marioknight92 said:
Yeah i would think it would be a hell of alot better to have a people choose witch one they would want yeah the paper would take longer but it would be a lot neater to read and see then if you printed this off. See the ones i printed off was really hard to see i thats why i ask for the measurements..

Well, the reason why the ones you printed off were hard to see the details of is because they were down-sized, scanned images. They weren't true, 1:1 scale images.

Though I'd love to have every set of schematics that goes out to someone be all hand-drawn, understandably given all the work that goes into each portion of a full set (ie. SPNKr) is very time-consuming, and with things punching into high-gear in my personal life as they are, I don't know if I'd have the time to do that for every single one.

It would take forever for me to get through them, and in the process probably frustrate a few people because they take so long. I don't want that.

What I plan on doing is making 1:1 photocopies of the original -- which are pretty much as good as the original -- and sending those off to others. That way, there's no degradation to the details present in the designs. It's the same level of detail and quality, just not individually hand-drawn, again for the aforementioned reasons.

Either that, or I could scan each page of each schematic into my computer and then burn them to disc, segregating each part of a set into its own folder (all the scanned pages for the SR body would be in one file, for example). That might prove a little easier for others, unless they have some problems trying to get the sizing right in Adobe Acrobat Reader before printing them off.

Of course, that would also translate into higher costs for materials on my end, but it's an option I figured I'd throw out to everyone here. See what everyone's opinion on that is.

The last three paragraphs only applies to the schematics I've already drafted, though. Obviously, with new commissions (actually just got a request earlier via PM to do something non-HALO related), I would again have to put pen to paper to make the "master" draft.

The way I see it, chances are the method in which I would hand these to people would be via mail. Given the standard attachment size restrictions with most e-mail providers, to try and send each page of a schematic to someone via the internet would be rather difficult.

Kaya Tetsu said:
Its reasonable. After all, time is your most valuable resource. You can never get it back.

Very true. That's kinda the whole point I was trying to bring across with this. I'm not in this to make a lot of money or anything of the sort, it's just there should be some sort of compensation for all the time I put into these. And asking for a minimal fee to cover labour and materials isn't at all unreasonable, I don't think.

P.S.: Though I don't know when exactly I'll get around to doing this, I recently purchased a large roll of printer paper 24" high by 500' long, so that I can transfer all of the schematics I've done to a single piece of paper each, rather than multiple printer pages taped together. That does make it a little easier to mail them off (smaller package), but I think this will help to give them a more professional and polished look. Then I'd get copies of those done at a professional print shop somewhere in town, and mail them out in tubes. But again, I don't know just when that'll happen.

Hey Spartan II, this is regarding bout your change in personal policy.

I shall repay you with all glory, if people ask how did you make this? i will go "I was inspired by Spartan II, his plans gave me hope in creating such pretty wonders, bringing something on paper, to 3d in life."

If that isnt enough ill find a new way xD

I really love how hard you worked, and i noticed way back :p i do appreciate what you are giving to the 405th Community, and like to say "YOU DID AN OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE!"

Your fellow 405th'er,
SprayNoob

P.s. Mailing in tubes?! That would be so awesome. :p If you DO transfer all your drawn out plans on to the bigger paper, i would like to be the first to buy/trade for the plans for the BR? If not, its alright :p I LOVE YOU SPARTAN II!

I know all about time is money.. Even more so right about now.

I just got a job at a prop and magic show company. And this is my third week on the job and I still haven't seen any form of payment..
Just yesterday, my boss' car was repo'd right in front of the shop while I walked to my car to get some lunch. (Took less than 15 seconds, car was gone)
So yeah, I'm not enjoying it.. :cautious:

SprayNoob said:
Hey Spartan II, this is regarding bout your change in personal policy.

I shall repay you with all glory, if people ask how did you make this? i will go "I was inspired by Spartan II, his plans gave me hope in creating such pretty wonders, bringing something on paper, to 3d in life."

If that isnt enough ill find a new way xD

I really love how hard you worked, and i noticed way back :p i do appreciate what you are giving to the 405th Community, and like to say "YOU DID AN OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE!"

Your fellow 405th'er,
SprayNoob

P.s. Mailing in tubes?! That would be so awesome. :p If you DO transfer all your drawn out plans on to the bigger paper, i would like to be the first to buy/trade for the plans for the BR? If not, its alright :p I LOVE YOU SPARTAN II!

BOLD # 1: Thanks, dude. I always find it nice to hear people appreciate and give credit for my efforts.

BOLD # 2: That wouldn't be the first time I've heard that, lol. I've been told that by a number of people here, recognizing my contributions to the community. I'm just doing what I can though, as I have nothing in the way of prop builds myself. I feel like I'm at least doing something here this way, rather than just sitting on the sidelines.

BOLD # 3: I do plan on transferring all of my plans to the larger paper, it's just with things being as busy as they are for me right now I couldn't say exactly when. As for the mailing tubes, it makes sense to me to do that, as to fold up a nicely printed large-scale schematic and shove it in an envelope would just ruin it, imho.

When I do get around to that, we can discuss getting you some proper plans for the BR (I'll probably have to edit it a bit though to make it more the correct size, as mine came up a little short compared to Lee's).

Thanks again for everyone's support and understanding in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back