A cheaper and quicker way to make Halo props/armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragout96

I have found out that plaster strips (that is what I call them) is a very easy way to make MJOLNIR armor as well as inexpensive. It costs $4 for a 4" by 180" strip, and $9 for 8" by 180". I made a CQB helmet and it came out very durable. All you need to make it is:

Plaster Strips - sold at Hobby Lobby, probably not Wal-Mart $4
Armor piece - self explanatory
A bowl of water - I hope you have a bowl and some water...
Sandpaper/something to smooth it with - Wal-Mart?

So you add the plaster along the bottom first and work your way to the top. If you start at the top, the wet plaster will distort and warp your piece. So add plaster to the top until its completely covered.

Add another layer from top to bottom for reinforcement...

Now sand it so it's smooth, and add bondo or whatever you want to use. But i suggest using the Hot Glue Method and melt some glue and add a layer to the outside of your armor piece for water proofing. I have not done this yet... but I will soon.

PICTURES VERY SOON!!!

When i couldnt find resin, i immediately went for plaster bandages(Thats the real name) but when i couldnt find those, i got paper mache, but that ruined 2 spike grenades and an ODST i made. I definitely am still wondering about using plaster also. I have plenty. Thanks for writing this topic. This helped me alot, by telling me plaster bandages could work.

I have done this before if you seal the armor (I am assuming you were talking about a pepakura piece) it works just fine. if you are careful then no water will get to the paper and warp the piece. One thing though. Sure it the plaster sands well but the little stripes of string that form the gauze the makes the plaster into bandages does not. So when you sand you end up with tons af little strings coming out of your helmet everywhere. :(

I have done this before if you seal the armor (I am assuming you were talking about a pepakura piece) it works just fine. if you are careful then no water will get to the paper and warp the piece. One thing though. Sure it the plaster sands well but the little stripes of string that form the gauze the makes the plaster into bandages does not. So when you sand you end up with tons af little strings coming out of your helmet everywhere. :(

That is why you Bondo or Hot glue it. Doing Hot glue waterproofs it good, but i don't know about Bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back