A Christmas Proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
As I briefly mentioned in Lord of Midgard's "What Would You Like For Christmas?" thread, I'm hoping/planning to pop the "big question" to my girlfriend at Christmas. I'm certain she'll say "Yes", given the conversations we've had about that recently.

Those of my friends here who know anything about my relationship know just how well it's all going, and though the time we've been together may still be relatively short from other peoples' perspectives, I just know that now's the time to do it.

Here's a link to my "My Weekend..." thread, which details some of it (WARNING: some heavy reading involved).

Anyway, what convinces me now's the opportune time for it, is that there's no apprehension or anything on my part. I'm 100% absolutely confident of it. I simply feel it in my bones, and I believe this is one of those times I should just go with my gut instinct.

I've been looking for an ideal ring, and found a couple ones that could "fit the bill", as it were, one of which I plan on picking up this Thursday (my next day off). Just trying to figure out how to creatively "pop the question" to her. I want it to be different, and therefore memorable.

I was thinking of hanging the ring on the tree like a Christmas ornament, and though kinda cheesy, I wrote a simple little poem for this special occasion. As I'm working on a limited budget, it's nothing extravagant or anything, but I'd like to think it could work for a memorable proposal.

It would also make for one helluva memorable first Christmas together, lol.

So, what are your thoughts, my friends? Comments and suggestions are welcome :cool

SPARTAN II said:
As I briefly mentioned in Lord of Midgard's "What Would You Like For Christmas?" thread, I'm hoping/planning to pop the "big question" to my girlfriend at Christmas. I'm certain she'll say "Yes", given the conversations we've had about that recently.

Those of my friends here who know anything about my relationship know just how well it's all going, and though the time we've been together may still be relatively short from other peoples' perspectives, I just know that now's the time to do it.

Here's a link to my "My Weekend..." thread, which details some of it (WARNING: some heavy reading involved).

Anyway, what convinces me now's the opportune time for it, is that there's no apprehension or anything on my part. I'm 100% absolutely confident of it. I simply feel it in my bones, and I believe this is one of those times I should just go with my gut instinct.

I've been looking for an ideal ring, and found a couple ones that could "fit the bill", as it were, one of which I plan on picking up this Thursday (my next day off). Just trying to figure out how to creatively "pop the question" to her. I want it to be different, and therefore memorable.

I was thinking of hanging the ring on the tree like a Christmas ornament, and though kinda cheesy, I wrote a simple little poem for this special occasion. As I'm working on a limited budget, it's nothing extravagant or anything, but I'd like to think it could work for a memorable proposal.

It would also make for one helluva memorable first Christmas together, lol.

So, what are your thoughts, my friends? Comments and suggestions are welcome :cool

You were one of my first friends on 405th, i support this in every way. i know plenty of happy married couples. Christmas should melt her heart! Go on mah boy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you are ready to make that commitment, sounds like you have got it right! So, just a little hint, I try and tell everyone I can, check out BIDZ.Com. They have crazy cheap rings. Its a legit site, and you can get some great stuff if you are careful. Just thought I would give you a heads up so you can save a bunch of money. Best of luck man!!!!

IroniumCostuming said:
You were one of my first friends on 405th, i support this in every way. i know plenty of happy married couples. Christmas should melt her heart! Go on mah boy!

Thanks, buddy! Much appreciated. And believe me, I definately plan on "going on" with it :D heh

Brandon McClain said:
Glad to hear you are ready to make that commitment, sounds like you have got it right! So, just a little hint, I try and tell everyone I can, check out BIDZ.Com. They have crazy cheap rings. Its a legit site, and you can get some great stuff if you are careful. Just thought I would give you a heads up so you can save a bunch of money. Best of luck man!!!!

Thanks, dude! I'd like to think I've got the right idea in mind for this, lol. As for the ring, BIDZ.com doesn't really have the right type of ring I'm looking for, based on the criteria my girlfriend gave me.

What came as a refreshingly pleasant surprise is that, she doesn't want the typical ring a lot of other women I've known would want. Doesn't want it too big or "bling bling", and doesn't want a diamond.

Instead, she wants a very low-key, small ring (either yellow or white gold) with a white opal gemstone set into it. Based on that criteria, I managed to find two different styles locally that would be suitable, and are rather affordable even with my limited budget.

Thanks for the suggestion, though ;)

I really liked your idea of the chirstmas ring ornament, but tweaked a bit.

Instead of her looking at the ring with a poem tied to it, have the poem on the tree(make sure it's kind of long so you have time to get on your knee and have the ring ready) When she turns around, she will start to have tears of joy while she looks at you on your knee holding the ring.

Your will say, "(Insert girlfriend's full name here) will you marry me?", then she will start crying(would be cool if you have some tissues at the ready). She hugs you. You huge her. You both kiss. HAPPY ENDING!

Hope this helps dude!!

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
[...]

Instead of her looking at the ring with a poem tied to it, have the poem on the tree(make sure it's kind of long so you have time to get on your knee and have the ring ready) When she turns around, she will start to have tears of joy while she looks at you on your knee holding the ring.

[...]

Hope this helps dude!!

-Pony

Well, the poem isn't really all that long; it's only four lines. So, I don't think I'd have enough time to do that. It's not exactly the greatest poem ever written, either. Since I've never been all that good at writing poetry, I simply went with one with words that rhymed, lol.

Personally, I'd prefer to read the poem to her, then have her see the ring/ornament.

Either that, or play all coy about it and tell her "Sorry, I couldn't really get you anything, hun. But I think there's a little something on the tree". Then, as she opens the box and sees the ring, I'd recite the poem to her.

As for how I want to display the ring on the tree, I was thinking of keeping it in the box and wrapping it in a little gift wrap, with one of those tiny gift bows on top. I'd add a small ornament hook on top to help hold it in place, and probably have it resting on the branch below for support.

This is likely one of the cheesiest proposals ever conceived, lol, but she's come to expect that sort of cheesy romanticism from me, so I think it'll work :)

P.S., What should make this rather interesting is that her parents will most likely be there, as we'll be spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning over at their place, lol.

Well, the poem isn't really all that long; it's only four lines. So, I don't think I'd have enough time to do that. It's not exactly the greatest poem ever written, either. Since I've never been all that good at writing poetry.

4 lines or 400 hundred, she will still love it.

Either that, or play all coy about it and tell her "Sorry, I couldn't really get you anything, hun. But I think there is a little something on the tree". Then, as she opens the box and sees the ring, I'll recite the poem to her.

Just play it cool :cool, lol.

As for how I want to display the ring on the tree, I was thinking of keeping it in the box and wrapping it in a little gift wrap, with one of those tiny gift bows on top. I'd add a small ornament hook on top to help hold it in place, and probably have it resting on the branch below.

That sounds like a good Idea! you should should put it somewhere on the tree where she won't see it if you're going to have it there the whole day. You can also wait till she gone for a bit and then put the box on the tree later.

This is likely one of the cheesiest proposals ever conceived, but she's come to expect that sort of cheesy romanticism from me, so I think it'll work

Lol, it maybe cheesy becuase we are guys, but the girls love it!!

Of course it will work my friend. She's crazy over you and you for her!

Look at me, lol. I'm a metal head with a soft side :lol

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
4 lines or 400 hundred, she will still love it.

[...]

Just play it cool :cool, lol.

[...]

That sounds like a good Idea! you should should put it somewhere on the tree where she won't see it if you're going to have it there the whole day. You can also wait till she gone for a bit and then put the box on the tree later.

[...]

Lol, it maybe cheesy becuase we are guys, but the girls love it!!

Of course it will work my friend. She's crazy over you and you for her!

Look at me, lol. I'm a metal head with a soft side :lol

-Pony

BOLD # 1: Yeah, I'm sure she'll still love it. Although only four lines long, it's something from the heart, and that in itself speaks volumes :)

BOLD # 2: Actually, I was kinda thinking of going with that approach, lol.

BOLD # 3: Do you have ESPN or something? Are you reading my mind? That's just what I was thinking of doing; putting it on the tree later when she's out of the room for a bit.

BOLD # 4: Hey, we've all got a soft side, buddy :lol

Thanks for your input!

Do you have ESPN or something? Are you reading my mind? That's just what I was thinking of doing; putting it on the tree later when she's out of the room for a bit.

I think I have the Golf Channel, lol.

-Pony

I'm glad you got that joke, lol. I find it always gets a little laugh from people when I say it like that :p

It's called ESP, or "Extra Sensory Perception". In other words, a telepathic/psychic ability. I just like throwing the "N" in at the end to make it sound funny. Like I said, always gets a laugh ;)

Not to get too off-topic or anything :rolleyes lol

Glad to hear it brother!!!! My wife and I actually got engaged around Christmas time as well, wow 6 years ago. How time flies. Anyway, I can say they definitely appreciate the fact that you are willing to make the commitment, but for some reason it's just a little more dramatic around the holidays. Best of luck!!

Let me tell you from personal experience. Be ready to shoot from the hip. You can write stuff down and try to memorize things you want to say, but it won't help. When "the moment" comes you're going to draw a blank. Or at least I did. I think as long as you come from the heart with whatever you say she'll definitely know you mean it. Good luck though and I hope you two have a great holiday.

Make a huge box, like if it was huge gift with lots of packaging. Put the ring box below all the packaging so the time she spends searching, start reading the poem.

Oooo!! How exciting!! :D

I like the ornament idea. I would also suggest, most Malls are open Christmas eve for a bit, suggest the 2 of you getting your picture taken with Santa, then right before the shot, pop the question. Just and idea. Congrats!!

Elvis, this is really great to hear! Sounds like you two are right/made for each other. :)

Really like the ring in the tree idea, and the poem... although cheesy (which I like), it's also a nice touch. Let us all know how it goes too bud! I'll need ideas when I propose to my GF. Thing is she's just as silly as me, so I may do something very humorous.

One idea I really like was how Adam proposed to Aundie... he made a video that he included in his proposal and everything... it was really cool and sweet (I believe it's up on youtube).

Man, in times like these it's really good to hear some happy news! :)

@mks81: Thanks, buddy! I agree doing this around Christmas time seems to be more dramatic somehow. I just feel then's the time to do it, so I'm going with it.

@JSwift: Well, I'll try to plan out my approach with it. Given the significance of the occasion, I could get so worked up about I may just have to "shoot from the hip", as you put it. We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess, lol.

@LastSpartan: That's another idea I hadn't contemplated. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks, buddy.

@Aeonyx: OMG! Damn glad to hear from you, girl! It's certainly been a while, lol. Thanks for that additional suggestion; I really appreciate your input. Now I have a couple more ideas to consider for making this a memorable occasion *ponders*

@pooper: Thanks, Mike! I'd agree with your assessment in that we're right/made for each other. I've just never felt this way before, nor have I been in such an ideal relationship. Always hoped I'd find myself in one like this, with the kind of woman she is, and now I am. Though what I have in mind is likely not the most creative proposal ever done, it's something from the heart. I know she'll appreciate the sentiment behind it.

Like you and your gf, we can also both be very silly at times, but when it comes to things like this my cheesy romantic side tends to come out. I've always been that way :lol

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far and shared their thoughts/suggestions on this. It means a lot to me to have my good friends here offer their support and well-wishes. And don't worry, I'll definately let everyone know how it goes :cool

You don't think that she'll be reading this thread/all these posts will she? Ya never know... GF's can be very sneaky at times. :pjk

Nope. I know for a fact she doesn't visit the 405th. The most she's seen of this place is the odd time or two she's been reading over my shoulder. She doesn't have internet over at the house, and she's far too busy at work to spend much time online (when she does, she's usually reading soap opera websites or looking up musicals, lol).

So, this secret is safe with me -- and my good friends here -- until the day it happens.

You know, this just feels right. Everything about her and this relationship has been nothing but right, despite how short a time we've been together. The ten years we've known one another probably helps too, lol. I can confidently say she's "the one", so I'm going with it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back