A Christmas Proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early congrats to you, my friend! You may also want to consider getting the moment on video. I did that with my proposal, and every now and then, we cuddle up on the couch and watch it a few times (it's pretty short). More than two years later, it still brings a tear to her eyes. :)

And if you're open to other suggestions, I have a few (I'm a romantic, at heart):

If she likes games, try doing a scavenger hunt all over the house, with the first clue wrapped like a present under the tree. Have the final clue lead her back to the tree with you kneeling there on one knee. You can have the clues be all innocent and whatnot so she'll be surprised at the end, or they can be romantically linked to your history together to build up the suspense.

If you're not firm on the Christmas tree idea, and you're willing to make your proposal a little more public...

Get some carolers together at a specific spot (you can use your friends, but it'll be more of a surprise if she doesn't know them). Go out for an evening stroll. Have them sing normal Christmas carols, but as you two get closer, they swap some of the words out with ones that are marriage themed. Like for Deck the Halls, instead of "Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la la la, la la la la..." make them sing "Tis the season to get married, fa la la la la la, la la la la..." When she makes a comment about it, get down on one knee and read your poem. (Obviously, you kneeling is the queue for the carolers to stop singing so she can hear you.)

Wow, Mate!!! Best of luck to you!!! I think that the poem is a great idea, for even if it is short, she'll love it. Little things like that remind her how much you love her are always best. Mr.Oreo123's idea of a scavenger hunt is also quite good. From the sound of it, you two are both in love and made for each other. In some ways, I'd recommend asking her right before midnight on Christmas Eve or on Christmas Eve. (If you do it on Christmas night, you could tell her you have one last gift.) Carpe Diem!

Cheers!

My Friend,

Your plan sounds great.

I am so happy for you, and I hope this is just the begining of great events in your life!

Lee

@MrOreo: Thanks, Hero! I hadn't thought about getting the moment on video, lol. It would be kewl to be able to revisit it every once in a while. Definately a moment worth keeping. And thanks for the suggestions on how to "pop the question" to her. She's a rather quiet and reserved person by nature, so I don't know how well the more-public proposal would go over (she might get embarrassed). As such, I think the scavenger hunt around the house might be a more amiable option. I'll give it some thought.

@Sniper: Thanks! Though the poem may not be long or necessarily creative, I know since she'd know it's from the heart she'd very much appreciate the sentiment behind it. Despite the relatively short period of time we've been together, I think it goes without saying we do love another very much. I've never felt this way about anyone before, and we both agree this is just how a relationship should be. Technically, we've both been waiting on this opportunity for the last ten years, so it's not surprising things would be heading where they are. Nothing rushed or anything, our relationship has simply progressed at the pace it's supposed to. Hadn't thought about proposing to her the night before Christmas Eve. Yet something else I'll have to consider, lol.

@Lee: For fear of sounding like a broken record, lol, thanks buddy! I'm confident this will be the beginning of great events in my life. Next up... getting myself a good, steady job, lol.

In that case, another idea I had was to take her out on a walk somewhere (minus the carolers, lol), and while you two are out, have a friend write out the proposal in giant letters on the ground with sidewalk chalk leading up to your house. Have each letter take up a whole sidewalk square. Coordinate with him/her so he/she sends you a text message to let you know when to turn around so she sees it on the walk back.

?

E

M

Y

R

R

A

M

U

O

Y

L

L

I

W

E

N

A

J

If you decide to get it on video, that same friend can be recording from a front window of the house. And if you want to go nuts, mic yourself up with a hidden wireless lapel mic so you can hear your poem and proposal and her answer on the video.

That's basically what I did for mine. My friend had a wireless mic, so I borrowed it and had my other friend (who would be filming) tape it under our table at the restaurant where I proposed. If you don't have access to a wireless mic, you can probably use a plain ol' voice recorder and sync up the sound later.

Well, considering the fact the walkway's already covered in snow, I don't know how well that would work, lol.

And it's an interlocking walkway with small bricks, not big stone slabs to write the letters onto.

I don't have a wireless mic, nor do I know anyone who has one. Don't have a camcorder either :rolleyes My digital camera has a built-in speaker, so that could work.

Thanks again for the input, buddy ;)

SPARTAN II said:
Well, considering the fact the walkway's already covered in snow, I don't know how well that would work, lol.

And it's an interlocking walkway with small bricks, not big stone slabs to write the letters onto.

I don't have a wireless mic, nor do I know anyone who has one. Don't have a camcorder either :rolleyes My digital camera has a built-in speaker, so that could work.

Thanks again for the input, buddy ;)

You can always use food coloring, water, and a spray bottle or water gun. Just don't do it in yellow. ;)

Or red, for that matter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!!! :D

Sounds like you've got some good ideas, but don't be surprised if your mind just goes blank when you do ask her. (speaking from experience ;) )

I officially don't get enough time on the forum anymore, somehow it took me 2 days to find out about something this awesome... I'll have to fix that.

Holy crap! :D

I'm not going to give you any advice on how to go about your proposal Elvis. At the end of the day all that matters is that you pair are right for each other and you have a happy and caring marriage. Congratulations on finding the right one mate, many people don't or even if they do let the opportunity pass them by or worse still- throw it away.

You are both very lucky to have found each other and Linda and I are so happy for you. Good luck with whatever cheesy proposal scheme you come up with buddy. ;)

P.S. I expect a txt message when she says yes. :D

MrOreo123 said:
You can always use food coloring, water, and a spray bottle or water gun. Just don't do it in yellow. ;)

Or red, for that matter...

LMAO! :lol Thanks for the advice, buddy. If I choose to do that, I'll be sure to use some other colour, lol.

Loess said:
Congratulations!!!! :D

Sounds like you've got some good ideas, but don't be surprised if your mind just goes blank when you do ask her. (speaking from experience ;) )

I officially don't get enough time on the forum anymore, somehow it took me 2 days to find out about something this awesome... I'll have to fix that.

Thanks! I wouldn't be surprised at that either, lol. When I first told her how I felt and then asked her out, it took me about forty-five minutes to get it all out. I'd even scripted it in my head earlier that week (I'll say this, then I'll say that, etc.), and still I got all tongue-tied when the moment came. Could very well happen that I blank out again this time around. Always seems to happen during the more significant moments with her, lol.

And yeah, try not to be such a stranger, buddy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see more of your projects ;)

juliet76 said:
Holy crap! :D

I'm not going to give you any advice on how to go about your proposal Elvis. At the end of the day all that matters is that you pair are right for each other and you have a happy and caring marriage. Congratulations on finding the right one mate, many people don't or even if they do let the opportunity pass them by or worse still- throw it away.

You are both very lucky to have found each other and Linda and I are so happy for you. Good luck with whatever cheesy proposal scheme you come up with buddy. ;)

P.S. I expect a txt message when she says yes. :D

Thanks, my Aussie friend! It means a lot to hear you say that. Convey my thanks to Linda for her well wishes, btw. I've been waiting on this chance with my girlfriend for ten years, and now that we're together it's been nothing but fantastic. Everything about it is just the way it should be, in both our opinions. I'm definately not going to let this one get away. I plan to make the most of it :)

And don't worry. I'll be sure to let you (and everyone else who's posted here) know when she says "Yes" :coolheh

Well, got some bad news today when I got to work.

The job contract I've been working on, which was supposed to go until the 23rd, is actually ending tomorrow. As such, I'll be receiving one more paycheque before Christmas, which will give me just enough to cover my monthly expenses.

If I'd been able to get one more week's worth of pay from this, I would've been able to afford my girlfriend's ring, but with circumstances being what they are that simply won't be possible now.

So, no Christmas proposal, folks :(

Guess it'll just have to happen later...

SPARTAN II said:

The job contract I've been working on, which was supposed to go until the 23rd, is actually ending tomorrow. As such, I'll be receiving one more paycheque before Christmas, which will give me just enough to cover my monthly expenses.

If I'd been able to get one more week's worth of pay from this, I would've been able to afford my girlfriend's ring, but with circumstances being what they are that simply won't be possible now.

What a freeking piss off... You got me all worked up for nothing :( !

I'm sure there is a way to make the extra few hundred dollars. You could ask your friends to chip in and pay them back later? Or, there is always jumping in front of a car and sueing the driver :lol .

Whatever you do, I am sure if its ment to be (no doubt that is IS ment to be), it will happen soon. I hear those Christmas miracles are more common then people think...

Good luck mate, I'm rooting for ya!

Cheers,

Jake.

D'oh! That sucks big ones. :(

When you were shopping for rings, did you look at palladium? It's a relative of platinum, and looks like white gold, at about half the price.

Sorry I haven't replied here the last few days. Girlfriend was over at my place this past weekend, and I didn't want her seeing this thread, lol.

Thanks, fellas. I have to admit I was extremely disappointed when I got the news regarding my job last week. Quite a downer, considering the circumstances, and right before Christmas too :(

@XtremeTactics: I appreciate the root of confidence, buddy. Although a good suggestion, I'd prefer not to have to ask any of my friends for the money to put toward the ring. This is just one of those things I'd like to manage on my own.

@Queen: I think I may have actually found an alternate source of income in order to purchase the ring; I have a seven-year-old engagement ring I've been stuck with for the last six years since my ex-fiance gave it back to me. It's white gold, with diamonds inset into it. Cost me a pretty penny, too. I saw one of those ads on TV for "Dollars 4 Gold" and requested to get one of their pre-paid, insured G-packs, so once I receive that I'll be sending it on its way. Since they're offering an extra 30% return on whatever it is they'll pay me for the ring, I hope that'll be enough to buy the ring. We'll have to wait and see how that goes.

@Loess: Nope, I never looked at palladium rings. Definately not platinum, as those would be way too expensive, lol. Even at half the price of platinum, I would imagine palladium would cost more than the rings I've been looking at. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

If my plans for this don't go as anticipated, one of my friends here pointed out it's probably best that I don't do it at Christmas. Their reasoning being, what with Christmas already being a special occasion on its own, it would be better if I did so on another date that could be all her own, and not associated with anything else. When I think about it, that does make sense.

So, if not now, I was thinking maybe doing the whole proposal thing on the date we started dating (April 26th). That would prove to be more significant, and she could remember this all its own, without being tied to anything else (ie. Christmas, Valentine's Day).

SPARTAN II said:

Aww, man....what an extremely unfortunate turn of events. I know you were excited, but don't let it get to you. I guess it just wasn't the right time. Don't worry, it'll happen. Best wishes for the holidays, and with the job situation!!

Thanks, buddy. It was rather gut-wrenching when I heard the news, but there's still a possibility I can somehow come up with the funds to get her the ring (as explained in my above post). So, we'll just have to wait and see. If not now, I know it'll happen at some point in the near future :cool

Ooops, I guess I didn't do a very good job wording that, Palladium is half the price of Gold. I was lucky that Annie thought that having her ring made out of something unusual like palladium was neat, and the nickle content of most white gold alloys ruled them out.

Oh, and I remembered something you might want to know, Opal is a soft stone, it doesn't always hold up to being set in a ring.

Be careful with that "mail us your gold, we promise we'll pay you" thing, it sounds like a giant scam. :unsure

Yeah, I've read reviews about those gold mail-in things. What they offer is way below market value. Since you're probably going to wait till April anyway (sorry to hear about the job), why not list it on ebay or craigslist? Even if it takes a while for someone to buy it, you've got the time to wait for a better price.

EDIT:

For some people, I've read that they have trouble getting their gold back if they don't like the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back