A Lesson On Safety Caution! (Graphic) Not For The Weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

This is very graphic and Im sorry for that but it is a good demonstration for safety with tools and machines.

My stepfather who has worked with woodworking machines and oilfield equipment for 40 plus years had a accident last saturday that will change his life forever. This took less than a second and was just a bad accident caused by bad judgement by some one who is usually one of the most safety concious people I know. he was using a large wood planer when he noticed there was a clog in the dust collection system and this is his quote. "I saw it was cloged and instead of shutting off the machine mid board or using a scrap piece of wood I reached into the chip chute without thinking and it got me" like I said this man is experienced and very safety concious. So he is now heading for the second of many surgeries to first try and save 2 of his fingers and then try and get some movement and feeling in them. Anyone who uses power tools will sooner or later make that one split second decision that will end up causing either damage to themselves or the equipment, it will happen trust me I have had a chunk of my thumb reattached due to carelessness with a saw and I was lucky. So it does not matter who says it or how its put someone will ignore it and do something stupid but this should make ya think twice about what your doing.

[attachment=14353:1228091755.jpg]

O WOW! that is terrible. im sorry for your stepdad and yea people this is a lesson here.

OMG! I hope they save his fingers.

Please give us updates on the surgeries if you can.

I hope he makes a fast and successful recovery.

-Pony

Oh my gosh... I hope the surgery goes well and they save his fingers. :( I'm around power tools a lot at home because I help my step dad out with projects and stuff, especially with saws, this made me a bit more paranoid/careful than usual with tools. I had an accident with a rotating sander once (the one that's a complete circle, and it goes REALLY fast), and a piece of wood that I was sanding had this little stubborn corner, so I leaned it in forward not thinking about my hand, and in just a split second, almost all the skin on top of my hand was gone. It took nearly a month for it to heal. :( Obviously not as bad as what happened to your step dad, but also a sign of carelessness.

God bless your step dad, and I hope he gets to move his fingers again and he never reaches into a chip chute again. :(

*cringe - peeks with one eye*

Consider my memory refreshed. Here's hoping to a swift recovery.

Cheers,

Kensai

oh man thats terrible, i am around power tools a lot, mostly welding and grinders, but wood working tools as well, one time i was using a resipricating saw and the blade broke of and went flying and peirced my hand that was holding the metal. but man that was nothing compaired to that, im sorry to hear what happend, an i hope he has a speady recovery and no permanent dammage.

//Jeremy

Thanks for the thoughts guys the latest news is he was taken back to surgery at 3:00pm and we havent heard anything else yet.

Well after over 7 hours of surgery they did tissue grafts from his upper arm used some vessels from his wrist . The dr seems positive they did some good butt we wont know for shure for a couple of weeks. The DRs who did the work spent most of the night repairing hands for people who didn't know when to let go of their fireworks so we will get more informed later.

ouch, ouch.......man i hope he gets his hands to move. hate to see an artist get his hands destoryed like that

I really hope he will be able to recover the most of is hand. That is also a great example of safety. I have seen some stuff like that since I work in the steal and I can said that it practically always only a split second to react. I had some flesh of the finger cute and also was a human torch.

Pat

ouch, looks really painful. I hope he recovers and doesn't leave any permanent damage.

Well the Dr elaborated on what he did in the surgery finally, they took a tissue graft from the underside of his upper arm to fill in the missing areas on the hand. He also used nerves and vessels from his wirist to fix as much as possible in the fingers and used part of his palm to fill out the missing tissue of the fingers. He said the thumb, index, and pinky will be fine but his ring finger is just barely moving and the middle finger is unmoving. They plan on releasing him in the next day or so, removing the bandages and evaluating the next surgery in 7 to 10 days to try and get more out of the 2 middle fingers.

better news but full recovery will be a year or more if ever.

always be cautios woth machinery and wear the protective equitment as the machine states even with a normal saw you can do some serious damage to yourself or others around you if your not carefull ive never done anything like that although i cut my finger open with a swiss army nice messing around with it when i waas younger could see the bone and everything didnt hurt till they put the stiches in which was weird though.

Jesus, I hope your step dad's hand heals and works 100%

I've had a few close calls with things too and I will agree that you should wear protective gear. I wear a face shield nowadays when I'm working with anything, especially with Dremels and bench buffers; I've had them grab and throw work across my studio, and on occasion into myself. I think I've told my balls of steel story before when my buffer grabbed a bronze casting and bent it out of shape by throwing it into my groin.

I agree with everyone on this thread when I say WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back