A quick question about cutting my visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

evileye

Hey guys,

I have my visor marked out for cutting and I have a dremel to do it with, but I'm not too sure which bit would be the best one to use to cut it without wrecking the visor.

any advise?

For quick questions, please post in the Help!!! Threads, rather than starting a new one. This could go in Help for Misc or Help for Bondo.

If you want to cut it out without wrecking the visor... Well personally I just wreck the visor and bondo up the wrecked parts, it's a lot faster that way.

If you want to save it though and don't want to rebondo it, you can use the cutting wheels for some parts. I find the width of the dremel's body prevents you from using the smaller thin wheels, so I usually use the wide plastic cutting wheel. That doesn't have much maneuverability though, so it will struggle on corners and small details. You can also try drilling a hole and then using a coping saw, which will give a bit more control and have a thinner diameter than the dremel bits would.

The other method is to resin the pepakura helmet, rondo the inside ONCE with a thin layer. Then it will be strong enough to hold its shape without a visor, but thin enough that you can more easily cut out the visor. Just be VERY careful not to put too much pressure on the helmet as you can crack the rondo. If you wanna be super technical, you could fiberglass the non-visor parts for more strength.

I hope some of this helps.

This is what I typically use in my dremel to cut out visors from pep helmets...

1PKX5_AS01.JPG

It's meant for metal, but cuts through resin/fiberglass/bondo beautifully.

That's the piece I was talking about, but wayyyy too lazy to look up!

It has a much wider diameter than the normal cutting wheels (that use the screw-in bit rather than the ez-lock), so it has better reach. I had a lot of trouble cutting the top part of the ODST visor though, where there are turns much smaller than the wheel's width. So I ended up with a lot of scars in the visor, nothing bondo won't easily fix though! I wasn't sure what the OP meant about "wrecking" the visor.

Thanks but that wasn't what I was asking about.

I was asking about cutting a visor from a bike helmet to the right size for my halo helmet

The only problem with using the the disks is if you are going to do curved cuts you run the risk of cutting a straight line (if that makes sense). I used the big one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...381739959&sr=8-10&keywords=dremel+accessories. It means you can cut inside your lines then dremel away bit by bit up to the line. I would test it out on a cheap piece of perspex/acrylic first to get used to it. Then once you are close enough to you lines you can use a hand file to get it perfect and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back