Actual Molding Amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandhem

So im thinking about molding my D4FL pep helmet once im done sanding all this bondo and dremeling in the details. What im curious about is houw much smooth on dragon skin do i need for a mold? Is two trial kits enough? 3?

What amount would each cast of smooth cast 300 be per helmet?

How about if I used the mud (resin and bondo) for casts, how much is required?

Ive read all the stickies but no where does it define roughly how much of each item is needed for helmet molding

we are able to get 2 helmet molds out of 1 gallon of dragonskin which is $175 + shipping. with the actual casts, youre looking at anywhere between $25-40 per cast depending on how much plastic you get at once. the more you get, the bigger discount they give you.

So two trial kits of dragon skin (really dont want to get more than i need cuz chances are ill never mold again) would work for one helmet?

One trial kit of smooth cast 300 would cast one helmet?

anyone else have any idea on the mud amount?

Tandhem said:

From my experiance with casting SC 300 into a pep model, that should be about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tandhem said:
So two trial kits of dragon skin (really dont want to get more than i need cuz chances are ill never mold again) would work for one helmet?

anyone else have any idea on the mud amount?

I like 320 better and I think that is what Ithica and Privateer use.

Remraf said:
From my experiance with casting SC 300 into a pep model, that should be about right.

i understand now that 320 is better, but is the above quote still valid about one trial kit being enough?

nvm, i made the decision to cast their helmets in rondo mud, kinda worried itll mess up the mold or not solidify or sumthing, but they're all only giving me $50 a piece so i cant spend 60% of that on the casts alone

2 trial kits of the Dragonskin should be enough, but only barely. It'll be a very thin mold. I'd recommend 3 trial kits to be on the safe side.

1 trial kit of the 320 should be enough for again, a thin cast. The first time you cast something you usually use more. The more you cast from a mold, the better you get at making your plastic go further.

I don't use rondo mixes very often, but when I do I just eyeball it. But if you're looking for a solid number, then a trial kit of 320 works out as roughly 2 pints of resin. If you were to measure out a little more than 2 pints of rondo mud then you'd be in the right ballpark. Be very careful not to overcatalyze the mud as I've found it can warp pretty badly in the mold if you do.

i hate the measurements of resin so i also squirt extra for good luck. in a half resin half bondo 1:1 2 pint (1 pint of each mixture) how much liquid hardener would be required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back