Ahh.. The Wonders of Foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixRainShadowxi

Member DIN
S317
Hey Guys and Gals!

Rayne Shadow here..

So. I remember the days when I had to pep every single piece of armor and rondo and sand and fill and sand and you get the process.

Now, Im advancing into modern age! Im starting my first project... with foam. ;)

I dont know how Im gunna do this or how well it will be.

But I will do it.

I will.

I think Im going to start out... with the Halo 4 Spartan Recon Forearm/Bicep. :)

Lets see how this goes. ;) If all goes good.. Then we will try full armor.

Comments and criticism is welcomed. :) just no negativity.. Im only 15.

Thanks!

Nate

PS. THIS THREAD WAS STARTED IN THE NOOB FORUM, AND I WAS UPDATED TO INFANTRYMAN SINCE THEN.
THE THREAD WILL CONTINUE IN ITS ENTIRETY HERE.

I got to work Thursday night on this project, after I got home with a fresh set of Exacto blades. On Thursday, I completed the Right Bicep. :)

Bicep Front view-ish
E2E19CC6-65A9-4844-B60A-F059EF644F64_zpshjytuwcv.jpg

Bicep Back view-ish
93DBB6DA-3BC1-456B-B3E5-FA16C725BCE3_zpswoeipplu.jpg

Spent all of Friday night drawing templates and transfering them onto my dandy foam. After about 4-5 hours of drawing/transfering/cutting/gluing AND a severe blister of the top of my thumb, I finally finished the forearm. :)
Im very pleased. :D It looks really good.. although the pictures kind of make it look anything but. xD

Forearm Front
"IM THE KING OF THE WORLD!" -Purple Spartan
621049F2-AFC5-4723-B699-31CDE83AF30C_zpswjilv6de.jpg

Forearm Back
"Yea. Thats right. I did this." -Purple Spartan
DE7CD4B6-6CBB-4A87-BE95-88D009DD5F19_zpsktcua6h3.jpg

Now.. For the total progress...

Full Right Arm
(Please dont mind the shirtless photo.. Im waiting for a load of laundry to finish.)
D9031964-4419-4831-B84E-EF6F45132DEA_zps8z5aenxb.jpg

Attachments

• E2E19CC6-65A9-4844-B60A-F059EF644F64_zpshjytuwcv.jpg
    E2E19CC6-65A9-4844-B60A-F059EF644F64_zpshjytuwcv.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 93DBB6DA-3BC1-456B-B3E5-FA16C725BCE3_zpswoeipplu.jpg
    93DBB6DA-3BC1-456B-B3E5-FA16C725BCE3_zpswoeipplu.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 621049F2-AFC5-4723-B699-31CDE83AF30C_zpswjilv6de.jpg
    621049F2-AFC5-4723-B699-31CDE83AF30C_zpswjilv6de.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DE7CD4B6-6CBB-4A87-BE95-88D009DD5F19_zpsktcua6h3.jpg
    DE7CD4B6-6CBB-4A87-BE95-88D009DD5F19_zpsktcua6h3.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 115
  • D9031964-4419-4831-B84E-EF6F45132DEA_zps8z5aenxb.jpg
    D9031964-4419-4831-B84E-EF6F45132DEA_zps8z5aenxb.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 126
well the grin makes it hard to see. but from what I can see it's looking good just need some sanding and then need to follow the foam rule of getting a new knife if the old one starts to get dull.

or sharpen the one you are using. the sizing is good, but the piece edges look like you are using a dull knife

or sharpen the one you are using. the sizing is good, but the piece edges look like you are using a dull knife

I learned the foam technique from various YouTube videos (mainly DaFrontlineTrooper, our buddy Andrew Cook), and they cannt stress enough to swap out dull blades for fresh blades. When I started the bicep, I routinely changed the blades after every 5ish good-sized cuts. The cuts still look liked crap.. no matter how soft/hard i pressed down on the blade. when I got to the forearm, I just gave up swapping blades-- The cuts look the exact same as if I had a fresh one. Maybe its just me.. lol. Ill figure it out.

Anyways, yesterday was a day off on this build (went and saw the new RoboCop. ) so today, i hope to atleast get the front plate of the chest templated, drawn, and cut. Gunna start that process here around 4:30.. so expect progress reports within the next few hours.

-Nate

Okay guys.

For some reason, PhotoBucket isnt cooperating with me.. :(
No progress pictures tonight. Tomorrow for sure.

I got most of the front side of the chest plate templated, copied, and cut. All i need to do is shape and glue and add the rest of the parts I will do tomorrow.

Lets hope I sized it right. :3

Somehow, I also managed to master the art of getting smooth cuts towards the begining. xD
Im amazed with quick learning abilities to adapt..

See ya'll tomorrow.

-Nate

When I started the bicep, I routinely changed the blades after every 5ish good-sized cuts. The cuts still look liked crap.. no matter how soft/hard i pressed down on the blade. when I got to the forearm, I just gave up swapping blades-- The cuts look the exact same as if I had a fresh one. Maybe its just me.. lol. Ill figure it out.

Im glad to hear that you have found out a way to get the smooth cuts. If it starts to not work again then what you could do its try and do a couple of passes with the blade in the foam. What i do that seems to work well for the most part is insert the knife only like half way or less into the foam and follow the line of my template. Then after i do the initial half way cut i put the knife all the way in the foam and follow the line i just made. Also i cut fairly slowish, i want to make sure that nothing is getting snagged.
I hope that makes sense. If not then i can try and explain better leter :)

Give that a try and see if it helps. You might need to make more passes than just the 2. I sometimes do three :)

What i do that seems to work well for the most part is insert the knife only like half way or less into the foam and follow the line of my template. Then after i do the initial half way cut i put the knife all the way in the foam and follow the line i just made. Also i cut fairly slowish, i want to make sure that nothing is getting snagged.

Haha, its funny you say that- thats exactly what I found out to! xD start off with the blade half way and cut pretty slow. Good thing Im on the same page with another 405th member. ;)

Anyways, I was a little delayed-- forgot i had an SS project on Mozambique due tomorrow, so i crammed it in the first few hours I got home. :) Looks like the rest of the night will be armor time. ;)

Be back with updates whenever I get significant progress. :)

-Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back