Airsoft Odst Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

i want to make a ODST helmet for airsofting but im not sure what to make it out of and i havent found a template yet

so if u guys have any advise and tips becuse it will be my first time makeing a helmet plz let me know

i just want to make a cover skin i will have a full paintball mask under it so my face should be fine

D~God633 said:
i want to make a ODST helmet for airsofting but im not sure what to make it out of and i havent found a template yet

so if u guys have any advise and tips becuse it will be my first time makeing a helmet plz let me know

you can pep a helmet and fiberglass 2 or 3 layers, but for the visor, i have no clue

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we don't really encourage armor making for airsoft, paintballing, and the like so I don't know much tips to give you. But, I've heard that a standard pep/bondo/fiberglass helmet will not stand up to airsoft rounds.

The only possible way this would be somewhat safe is to use an ABS plastic injection mold + a regulation paintball face shield. (or in contrast modding a paintball mask to look like a halo helm)

Unless you get a cast of an ODST helmet, do not use pep for airsoft.

Even then you'll have to wear goggles, not sure you would want to shoot up an odst visor.

please read the stickies, nobody likes threads asking how to make halo armor on a halo armor costuming site.. sorry if this sounds harsh to you because you're new, but it's a learning experience, and we're trying to help.

As others have already said. It takes alot of time effort and money to make these things. It would take more of all of that to make a helmet that could withstand just a couple rounds.

sorry d~god, but you can only use astm certified goggle sets for things like that. you dont want to chance loosing your eyes to look good.

build the odst to fit the mask inside and you should be cool.

LT-GRAVE said:
sorry d~god, but you can only use astm certified goggle sets for things like that. you dont want to chance loosing your eyes to look good.

build the odst to fit the mask inside and you should be cool.

yeah i had planed on useing a full paintball helmet that covers my whole head

Last edited by a moderator:
I fired 27 weighted plastic rounds from a mossberg 590 which was rated at 375 ft/sec at my chestplate, which had nothing but one piece of fiberglass and MAYBE 1/8" bondo on the inside. At a distance of 2 feet, the rounds made 6 tiny round marks, but only in the outside which at the time was nothing but pep/resin.

I'd say after I put the layer of bondo on the outside, 375 will look even more silly against it.

I'm not going to be responsible for advising anyone to use this method for airsoft armor, I'm just throwing some data from a little experiment of mine out there...

The next thing I'm going to test is how well a visor made of tinted 2mm acrylic with a second layer of 1/8" acrylic behind it stands up against some of the more powerful airsoft guns.

Again, just throwing that info out there...

If you build it right, then you should be fine. Myself, I just finished resining/glassing my chest plate, and then immediately proceeded to Unload a clip from a airsoft rifle on it. It had nothing to show for it (not even a scratch) and Yes, I know I hit it. Just be careful with a few things: 1.) SECURE THE VISOR and build it well. If it comes loose/penetrated, your eyes may become reminiscent to crushed jello. 2.)I'd Like someone to confirm this, and if not i will run tests myself, but airsoft rounds MAY crack your Bondo Body filler Or the paint you paint it with. I will confirm myself when i get to that stage.

Indeed. You can compare airsoft to paintball all you want, but the fact of the matter is, on average, paintballs do a good 10 times more damage to armor than airsoft BBs (at rough mathematical estimate). Then again, if you get hit by a 450FPS .4g sniper round, expect it to go clear through whatever prop armor you're wearing (although a thick coat of bondo is more likely to deaden a blow than anything). So, proceed with caution, wear authorized safety gear UNDER your helmet (as the visor is the worst thing to break), and make sure you find someone with a very high chrono gun that can shoot the thing repeatedly point blank to see how it fares.

OK, really? Negative 10 rep for an honest question? The rep system is to get rid of abusive posts, not some sort of rating system. There's a difference. And you people want him to read the stickies? Pffft.

It is possible to make a helmet for airsoft, although it would be at the expense of some detail and flexibility. For starters, you'll probably want more layers of fiberglass on the inside, as well as one or two on the outside to make sure nothing hits you square in the face. As well, you'll probably wanted to use less bondo on the outside (unless a cracked helmet is what you want). As for the visor, you'd probably want a clear airsoft face shield on top of an HJC motorcycle visor/ODST visor, which would protect it from bullets without making you visible.

Overall I would not recommend it, but it is possible in theory with some work and attention. And people, stop using the rep system so carelessly. Just because you know something, doesn't mean everyone else does.

I am new to the forums (not really, been reading the site for years now before the name change). I am an experience airsoft player and have been with the activity to for years, and have done it to the most extreme. Additionally I am taking on the challenge of making something as such, but will be doing a lot of testing (spending a lot of money) with materials to produce something as you are asking.

First I would like to say this. The helmet WILL NOT be used to protect your eyes, no matter how you go about it, using a motorcycle faceplate or doing a custom mold with CAB plastic, it simply will not be rated for the use of airsoft. As such you will be require to wear a SEPARATE set of eye protection underneath the helmet (I recommend Bullet Ant). Although it should provide minor face protection (namely the teeth), yet this is not guarantee.

Additionally here are several thoughts I think people need to consider, most are safety related.

-Durability-the strength needs to be strong and flexible. I have to played around with several ideas with fiberglass/bondo/resin with a cover of automotive undercoat to absorb the impact. Yet seeing that I planned on doing a lot of testing, I thought the stuff would surely get destroyed in damage. There fore I am going to invest the extra money and make molds and use Smooth-Cast 320 (which by sounds of it on the Smooth-on website is slighly more durable then 300).

-Padding-Most injuries in airsoft are caused from running around, falling down, running into things. There for proper padding is extremely important. My plans, is to use sports padding out there like shin pads and knee pads and add them under the ODST armor. For the body plates, I am using a MOLLE vest, and the plates will have MOLLE attachments (I have made MOLLE Vests and Pouches in the past).

-Ventilation- Probably something that is overlooked, but is extremely important. You are going to have to sacrifice accuracy of the model to make is more practical by adding vents so fresh air will be able to get in there. This will also prevent fogging.

These are just some of my thoughts. On another note I am expecting and hoping the project will yield a cost of $1,300, yet things will always cost more then one thinks. It is also to note that I have a solid experience on working on art projects of this complicity, and work better with challenges like this.

dont ask this community how to build funtional armor/safety equipment. it is a costuming and prop buidling website.

No one is stopping you from making it, just have your own ideas.

I usually bring this point up in all PB and Airsoft threads: You want to wear a full closed helmet on your head while participating in a activity that will have you running. Theres no ventalltion and all the heat tha rises from our body will get trapped in the helmet. What will that do? uncomfartable to wear and constant foggy goggles

and i cant stand playing with foggy goggles

Do not for any reason use a Halo prop hemet for paintball/airsoft. this wiil not only make whoever plays with you think you are an idiot, but it will end up with you being injured by a fast moving projectile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back