Alright, some help is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckMyGET

Ok, I've read up on the basics of building a suit. I've also read and re-read safety tips regarding everything under the sun. From my knowledge, this is the basic procedure:

1) Get all the proper materials and programs.
2) Print out all the blueprints on your cardstock.
3) Cut out, fold, and glue all the parts together.
4) Prep all the components.
5) Using resin, cover the outside of the parts.
6) Layer fiberglass on the inside of the parts, resin (or rondo) in between layers and also before the first layer.
7) Let cure.
8) Bondo (or rondo) the outside of the components, then sand to achieve smoothness.
9) Dremel/sculpt out details.
10) Paint.

My questions:
Anything I'm missing?
What in the hell is a Pep?
Last one,
If I size my components correctly for my body, will it be slimlined/less bulky depending on how much bondo (if it matters) I use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, I've read up on the basics of building a suit. Awesome! Good to see people are actually using the stickies. I've also read and re-read safety tips regarding everything under the sun. From my knowledge, this is the basic procedure:

4) Prep all the components. Not sure what you mean by this.
6) Layer fiberglass on the inside of the parts, resin (or rondo) in between layers and also before the first layer. You should let each layer cure before adding the next, and the amount of layers is preference. I've seen 3 rondo and 3 fiberglass, but 1 rondo layer and then one fiberglass layer over it works fine for me.
7) Let cure.
8) Bondo (or rondo) Bondo works much better for detailing. the outside of the components, then sand to achieve smoothness.
10) Paint.

My questions:
Anything I'm missing? Nope, I don't see anything missing.
What in the hell is a Pep? A pep is the paper model that you printed out and built. A pep file is the file for the paper model.
Last one,
If I size my components correctly for my body, will it be slimlined/less bulky depending on how much bondo (if it matters) I use?
You usually wouldn't use enough bondo to noticeably change the size of the suit as the thickness of the bondo layer is usually around about 2mm. So I'd say the size of the pep you make will be the size it will end up being, give or take a few mm.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hope I answered your questions.

-Darkrider9

Ok, I've read up on the basics of building a suit. I've also read and re-read safety tips regarding everything under the sun. From my knowledge, this is the basic procedure:

4) Prep all the components.
6) Layer fiberglass on the inside of the parts, resin (or rondo) in between layers and also before the first layer.
7) Let cure.
8) Bondo (or rondo) the outside of the components, then sand to achieve smoothness.
10) Paint.

My questions:
Anything I'm missing?
What in the hell is a Pep?
Last one,

What you mean in step 2 is not a blueprint, but a Pepakura file. "Pep" is an abbreviation of the word Pepakura (as in "pep file") or can be a verb ("to pep something") and mean the assembly of such a file. Your verb "prep" is probably a misspelling of it.

You need to scale the files before printing them (Tutorial: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial).

Don't print them all at once. Print one at a time. Also don't cut everything out at once, that just turns it into a giant puzzle. Keep it on the pages and use the program to help you find the parts.

The resin layer(s) on the outside need to cure as well.

The fibreglass and resin on the inside are not several layers but one. Whether you wet the glass and put it on or put on resin and lay the glass into it is up to you. Rondo isn't necessary.

Use Bondo on the outside, it's easier to sand than Rondo.

I don't get the last question. The size is basically defined once you've scaled the model, a bit of Bondo on the outside won't change that much.

I like when new people are informed and research everything. Most people just ask dumb questions like "what is paper? and how do i put fiberglass on it?"

I remember when I first joined. I already had a year or so of experience before finding this forum, so I just started another suit because the other one was already done.

In other words, Thank you so much for not being a noob :D

I like when new people are informed and research everything. Most people just ask dumb questions like "what is paper? and how do i put fiberglass on it?"

I remember when I first joined. I already had a year or so of experience before finding this forum, so I just started another suit because the other one was already done.

In other words, Thank you so much for not being a noob :D

No problem. Also, thank you to everyone who gave their 2 cents and helped out, I appreciate it a LOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back