Props Aluminum helmets coming soon!

Which helmet would you be interested in (pick your top three)

• MK VI

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • MK V

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • CQB

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • EVA

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Recon

• Rogue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ODST

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Scout

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Hyabusa

• Security

• EOD

• Pilot

• Something Halo 4

• Something Halo 5

• Something Halo Infinite

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinMcCaf

For those who don't know, I'm an engineering student. As such, the projects which have been deemed borderline impossible tend to be the ones which peak my interest the most, cast visors, functional under-suits, a 1:1 Scorpion (more on that in a future post), you get the idea.

For the last 3 years, my constant obsession has been to make aluminum helmets, 'Hero Props', as they're called. Not intended to be worn; rather, intended to be accurate, down to the weight. We're talking perfect visor, perfect paint, the most detailed model, carved out of a chunk of metal, to be placed upon a velvet pillow in the heart of a man cave. The first thing you grab when your house is aflame.

Problem is, metal casting is both expensive and time consuming, before I go any further with the project (yes, I've figured out how to do it), I would like to know if A, you guys and girls would be interested in buying such a helmet, and B, which one.

Functional under suits sounds amazing! Especially something to help troopers in hot environments perhaps moisture wicking ideas

As a fellow engineering student, I'm excited to see what you come up with.
The stuff I do has less to do with manufacturing and etc. and more to with computers/tech.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I have a hard time imagining these being both really cool, and inexpensive.

I can't imagine these will be cheap. I won't know the actual cost until the first one is made but I wouldn't anticipate anything under $400 a piece. It comes down to two things; materials and time. The molds won't be reusable as the typical flexible silicon molds can't take the heat. This means each helmet will require a new mold, the casting process itself is also lengthy and the materials are expensive.

What'll be setting these helmets aside from those done before are of course, they will be metal, the visors will be unlike anything anyone has ever seen before (I've created a new process), and they will ship painted. I use to be a professional painter, the paint and weathering should be near flawless.

As far as models go, I believe most of you have seen my 3d modeling work thus far. If one is chosen that I haven't modeled already, I'll just make it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back