Am I doing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have my folds and lining up perfect in that case. My accidental use of printing paper was actually good practice for folding and aligning everything. I’m going to finish cutting out everything I had cut out before hand and then tomorrow pick up some tacky glue.
A steel ruler is really useful with an exacto knife to cut straight lines. I also use different colored pens to go over the lines of the folds to ensure that they will fold perfect. I use red pen for the concave folds and black pen for the peak folds, its been really helpful for me at least.

So far it’s just these two pieces I’m working on but t thought I would show you guys what they look like so far. I know there is a lot more I can do to make it flawless, but for my first time doing anything like this, it looks good to me so far.

Learn how to score the card stick, as well. Using a pen and a straight edge, press firmly on the paper to make it more likely to fold along the line. You get crazy crisp lines that way.

Learn how to score the card stick, as well. Using a pen and a straight edge, press firmly on the paper to make it more likely to fold along the line. You get crazy crisp lines that way.
here's a tutorial to what Sean was talking about. Though because that helmet has half cuts through the pieces its hard to judge the folding (for me at least)

Ok scalp piece done. Working on folding and gluing the next part when I ran into a issue. Anyone know what way I fold this?

For 908, do I fold it so it sticks up slightly, do I fold it so it dips down, or do I cut a slit here. I’m clueless here as there is no real instructions for putting this helmet together.

Also I figured out how to assemble all the parts. So by the end of the weekend I should have the top of the helmet all done.

Last edited:
Well it's YOUR build, so do what you want, but *I* would just glue 908 exactly the same as every other piece. Any detail that little dotted line is trying to represent cab be easily reproduced in bondo if at all. It may also be pepakura designer trying too hard.

Oddly I feel like pointing out that this seems to be one of those modular models that’s not all one piece ish
Yes it is. If I finished each section of the top of the head and will be gluing it together tonight. I like the module design as if I mess up one part it’s easy to make a new one than a entire new helmet.

I suppose you have a point, I personally get irked when it comes to building it so different styles are for different people I suppose ( not trying to steal your thread with this780CFC34-F1B0-4402-9008-9292EAD11A9A.jpeg ) I personally build the others granted this is a really old picture since it’s getting paint atm, though I can not await to see yours

So I finished my first large section of the helmet. It’s probably not the best compared to what the rest of you guys have done, but for my first attempt, I’m pretty happy about it.
.D6B8F5A9-2AF2-47CA-9CDC-E55674016AE8.jpegF0DB7EE0-0A4E-4104-AB65-89D6BB813EE1.jpegB6EF0E03-02F0-4720-A5A1-7957F3EBB855.jpeg

Next photo update will be when the paper part will of the helmet is done.

Last edited:
So I finished my first large section of the helmet. It’s probably not the best compared to what the rest of you guys have done, but for my first attempt, I’m pretty happy about it.
.View attachment 269826View attachment 269827View attachment 269828

Next photo update will be when the paper part will of the helmet is done.

Hey don't sell yourself short, man that pep is looking really good, beginner or not. It's not a good idea to compare your work to other people's anyway.

Your work is better than my first *several* pep attempts.

Ok so it has been awhile. I’m almost finished assembling the helmet. My one issue is that the chin center does not line up with the visor center, you will see in the photo. I’m currently trying to figure out how to shift the chin over about half an inch with out needing to cut off sections and redo the whole helmet.
For my first attempt making a helmet I think it looks good. I can probably do better from what I learned and will probably make another one down the road.

Use some cardboard cut out to the size of the helmet and wedge it inside to force it over. Then when you fibreglass it, it will hold its shape. Your going to want your helmet to be as perfect as possible. Dont say it is good enough, because in the end it will drive you crazy to fix it. It is absolutly possible, but just takes up some extra time... looks great! :D

Use some cardboard cut out to the size of the helmet and wedge it inside to force it over. Then when you fibreglass it, it will hold its shape. Your going to want your helmet to be as perfect as possible. Dont say it is good enough, because in the end it will drive you crazy to fix it. It is absolutly possible, but just takes up some extra time... looks great! :D
Good point. I broke out the crafting knife and took off the chin best I can. Going to look over everything so I can place it on right and get it centered.
This was actually a good thing as the chin part was on to high, so now I’m fixing two things. At least I saw them now instead of after I start adding resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back