Am I doing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m doing an ODST build out of foam but for the helmet I’m doing it as pepakura so I can get some nice details. Last night I printed out the patterns onto normal printing paper and began to cut them out with a pair of scissors.
I’m now gluing it and running into things that I don’t know are normal or not. As glue dries it wraps some of the paper around it. There is also a issue where the paper feels flimsier if I shift it after I glue it before it dries.
Are these going to effect the next step when I have to apply a coat of something?

Besides that helmet is slowly coming together and I use the glue to fill in gaps cause by cutting imperfections.
This is my first costume build ever so I’m bound to make mistakes.

Well welcome and well met, printer paper is not what you want to use when building pepakura, you need to use card stock and invest in hot glue and glue gun, it will make your life easier, I'm a huge fan of ODSTs so if you need help with it feel free to ask me and i'll try to give you some pointers

Well that stinks for me. Spent the last 6 hours working on the helmet and wasted a lot of paper. How do I go about printing on card stock? I don’t know if any home printer can even print with that stuff.

Most desktop printers should be able to print on card stock. I ran 110lb stock through mine no problem. Then I used super glue when I did some pep. Just be careful the glue will stick the paper to your fingers easier then it’ll stick the paper to itself.

Most places are going to have cardstock for over $10, but if you are lucky then Walmart should have it pretty cheap.

Most printers can handle it like Sierra said.

Here's the tutorial that will have everything you need to know to get started.

my printer is going on 17 years old with some minor issues now and then due to age i constantly run 120ld card stock through it trust me when i started this craft 12 years ago I did the same mistake with normal paper, but its good trial and error, some will swear by scissors others like myself swear to xacto blades which you most likely will have if you plan to use foam

I found cardstock in my house. It’s a very light blue though, not white. There is enough to print out everything I need though. Am I good with using this since the helmet is going to be painted a dark grey later on.
I would, color won’t matter it’ll Ben covered in fiberglass, bondo and paint regardless

Ok I got it printed out. 32 pages of card stock is a lot.
So I assume I shouldn’t use elumr craft glue, what should I use to put it together?
I personally use hot glue, bought a cheap replacement for like 4 bucks at wal-mart and you can pick up the sticks for a pack of 10 of 98 cents, just make sure if you do get a glue gun make sure to by the right size sticks, theres the big fat boys and theres the small skinny ones i use the skinny as you don't need much per tab, i also use the high temp glue just to be sure it wont get heated too much when curing and warp, just curious though which ODST bucket are you doing?

I personally use hot glue, bought a cheap replacement for like 4 bucks at wal-mart and you can pick up the sticks for a pack of 10 of 98 cents, just make sure if you do get a glue gun make sure to by the right size sticks, theres the big fat boys and theres the small skinny ones i use the skinny as you don't need much per tab, i also use the high temp glue just to be sure it wont get heated too much when curing and warp, just curious though which ODST bucket are you doing?
I’m doing the standard one. So in the ODST master folder it’s the first helmet on the list.

Ok I got it printed out. 32 pages of card stock is a lot.
So I assume I shouldn’t use elumr craft glue, what should I use to put it together?

Elmer's glue will take a long time.

3 most popular: hot glue, super glue or tacky craft glue

Hot glue can be heated up again to "re-glue" mistakes which is nice. But it also can burn your fingers. Only needs a pin needle amount of hot glue to glue one tab.

Super glue dries super fast which is nice if you are good at working quickly. Downside is can be messy.

Tacky glue is an okay medium. Dries fast, but not too fast to correct mistake.

32 pages sounds like you might not have scaled the helmet. Better to fix that now. Can you link us to what file you're using and what you scaled it to?

I'm using this one from the armory (Armory link) it is the first helmet on the list.
I'm using the basic size and did not scale it as it appears to match me perfectly from the measurements I took.
You have the same plan as me, i'm at the fiberglassing stage but i'm sure you'll be done way before me. don't cut out the "base" circle as you won't need it to cover the bottom of the helmet. Once you get the cutting(i suggest hobbyknife/blade sharpner) out of the way I highly suggest FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE for scoring your paper(I used the pen method), it helps in the long run for perfect shaping and is a lot easier once you get to gluing pieces together(I also suggest hot glue as the person above did). I used the odst-a helmet in that file though so I guess we will see how they compare in the long run.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm using this one from the armory (Armory link) it is the first helmet on the list.
I'm using the basic size and did not scale it as it appears to match me perfectly from the measurements I took.
Ok, yeah it looks like it is just not a very good unfold. The unfold should look more like that rookie b helmet. Thin pieces being connected to bigger pieces prior to printing. I'm sure you'll still be able to complete it.

Ok, yeah it looks like it is just not a very good unfold. The unfold should look more like that rookie b helmet. Thin pieces being connected to bigger pieces prior to printing. I'm sure you'll still be able to complete it.

Hugh did his best.
I can't wait to make an NCR ranger helmet from his(hugh) files though, but yeah a/b are better which is why I went with -a rookie helm.

Last edited:
so The pattern I’m using is fine then? Ok so now I need to reprint the first 6 pages as I cut wth scissor instead of a hobby knife. Even though my cuts look good enough I’ll just follow what you guys suggest.

so The pattern I’m using is fine then? Ok so now I need to reprint the first 6 pages as I cut wth scissor instead of a hobby knife. Even though my cuts look good enough I’ll just follow what you guys suggest.
I wouldn’t bother if they are good.Your folds are what matter. Usually all your cuts are just the tabs. Get your folds perfect and it’ll go together nice.

I wouldn’t bother if they are good.Your folds are what matter. Usually all your cuts are just the tabs. Get your folds perfect and it’ll go together nice.
Ok I have my folds and lining up perfect in that case. My accidental use of printing paper was actually good practice for folding and aligning everything. I’m going to finish cutting out everything I had cut out before hand and then tomorrow pick up some tacky glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back