An idea

Razgriz

Well-Known Member
Hey everybody. I was just playing the piano when I looked up and saw a candle. Then, this idea just hit me.

What if you got a pot of hot wax and covered the inside of a pep piece with it? You would brush it on in layers like resin. Once you got it so think, you could re-enforce the inside with something like fiberglass cloth soaked in resin, or something else. Then, you could easily pull off the paper and detail it. Then you could put it into a vacuum forming machine. Just a thought.

Heck, if you wanted to, you could coat the outside with resin to ensure that the wax wouldn't get distorted while it was being vacuum formed.
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Didn't I make this up a while back........

Except mine is from hot glue, Hot glue wont melt as easy as candle wax and is much stronger, candle wax is.....waxy and and dry out and crack, hot glue wont dry out or crack because of it's rubbery characteristics.
 

Razgriz

Well-Known Member
AoBfrost said:
Didn't I make this up a while back........

Except mine is from hot glue, Hot glue wont melt as easy as candle wax and is much stronger, candle wax is.....waxy and and dry out and crack, hot glue wont dry out or crack because of it's rubbery characteristics.
I thought yours was about using the hot glue to actually replace the resin. My idea is a way to vacuum form using pep. Also, I thought wax because it would be easier to pull away from the paper. I'm not suggesting that you actually use wax as something you put into the helmet that you are wearing, but as something to form plastic pieces out of.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
1 thing.

Hot plastic at 450 degrees will melt your wax, same for hot glue.

Also, if you read my topic, it says "finally a fiberglass replacement" not resin.
 

Razgriz

Well-Known Member
AoBfrost said:
1 thing.

Hot plastic at 450 degrees will melt your wax, same for hot glue.

Also, if you read my topic, it says "finally a fiberglass replacement" not resin.
Hey man, just an idea. That's why I suggested using resin on the outside. Probly would still melt the wax, but hey, I'm thinking outside the box.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Resin would probably crack or collapse from the pressure of the plastic being pulled down by the vacuum.
 

23Magnum

Well-Known Member
Razgriz said:
Hey everybody. I was just playing the piano when I looked up and saw a candle. Then, this idea just hit me.

What if you got a pot of hot wax and covered the inside of a pep piece with it? You would brush it on in layers like resin. Once you got it so think, you could re-enforce the inside with something like fiberglass cloth soaked in resin, or something else. Then, you could easily pull off the paper and detail it. Then you could put it into a vacuum forming machine. Just a thought.

Heck, if you wanted to, you could coat the outside with resin to ensure that the wax wouldn't get distorted while it was being vacuum formed.
I think the wax might shrink up too much when it cools, meaning loss of detail and size. I'm not totally sure on that of course, but I think wax does shrink when cooling.

-Magnum
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Some wax's dont, but the fact it's wax would mean when heating, it will melt, the best for vacuum forming is plaster, it takes in detail, doesnt mind heat, and is rock hard.

Though plaster can break if you handle is roughly, it's the main thing people use in making molded vac-form armor.

But I can see masterchief candle helmets, plaster mold a helmet, fill her up with solid wax, add a wick, light her up.
 
Top