Andrew DFT costume accuracy and questions about Tiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfcapozella

For those of you who have made any of Andrew DFT’s Halo props and costumes, what Tier do his templates get you in without any modifications or extra effort put in? Ive watched his videos and I know some people have made costumes off of his blueprints. Im not sure how accurate his templates are and Im also not completely sure how costumes are placed into their respective tiers. If someone could explain the process and requirements needed to place into each tier, then it would be appreciated. In the mantle, it says, “Tier 1 - Apprentice Costumer: is limited membership open to persons who own a costume that meets the first level with regard to the standards of accuracy, completeness, and quality of construction as required by the 405th.”

The Deployment FAQ covers a lot of this:
Deployment FAQ

But the Deployment Process is an Optional Process where members may submit their costumes for grading into one of the three Tiers based on Accuracy and Fit. Deployment and it tiers do not directly impact your membership, Deployment or any specific Tier is not a requirement for membership in the 405th or in a 405th Regiment. Or even to attend the vast majority, like 99% of our events.

Each costume is graded individually so it is hard to make a blanket statement and say that "X" template or file is garubteed to be "Y" tier. It will always depend on the individual build.

But a rough guide is:
-Tier 1 is for those that have successfully completed a Halo Universe costume, but might have inaccuracies or have some fitting errors.
-Tier 2 is for those costumes that have achieved a superior level of fit and accuracy, but might still be missing some details.
-Tier 3 is for those costumes that have achieved a level of accuracy and fit that they appear to have stepped right out of the game.

I know Deployment is optional, but Im planning on building a costume and Im over the age of 18, so I don’t see why I shouldnt go for it. Andrew DFT’s patterns are missing some details compared to the pep files, so I would assume that the best you could possibly get when using his templates is a tier 2 then. Im sure it’s the same with his weapons and props, since they aren’t exactly like the games. That is of course if weapons are scored on the tier system too.

I know Deployment is optional, but Im planning on building a costume and Im over the age of 18, so I don’t see why I shouldnt go for it. Andrew DFT’s patterns are missing some details compared to the pep files, so I would assume that the best you could possibly get when using his templates is a tier 2 then. Im sure it’s the same with his weapons and props, since they aren’t exactly like the games. That is of course if weapons are scored on the tier system too.

I have a modified DFT ODST and have a Level 1 Deployment with it. It's pretty much as far as it can go because of the legs and helmet shaping. If you want I can dig up the suggestions that I got way back when I first submitted for Deployment to boost to a Level 2 but it was mostly recommendations for scrapping parts and building the higher detail ones from The Armoury.

Edit: Found the message in the way back machine

However, if you'd like to think about Tier 2, some improvements would have to be done. The costume looks very nice, but some parts are inaccurate or are missing - for example you have no accurate thigh armor pieces, but something that looks like oversized part from the torso armor.
And in some parts you can see it's Andrew DFT armor (helmet and chest plate mostly) - nothing against Andrew, he's doing amazing work and helps people to start crafting, but his templates and tutorials are for beginners and unfortunately it isn't accurate enough for higher Tiers.

Last edited:
I have a modified DFT ODST and have a Level 1 Deployment with it. It's pretty much as far as it can go because of the legs and helmet shaping. If you want I can dig up the suggestions that I got way back when I first submitted for Deployment to boost to a Level 2 but it was mostly recommendations for scrapping parts and building the higher detail ones from The Armoury.

Edit: Found the message in the way back machine

However, if you'd like to think about Tier 2, some improvements would have to be done. The costume looks very nice, but some parts are inaccurate or are missing - for example you have no accurate thigh armor pieces, but something that looks like oversized part from the torso armor.
And in some parts you can see it's Andrew DFT armor (helmet and chest plate mostly) - nothing against Andrew, he's doing amazing work and helps people to start crafting, but his templates and tutorials are for beginners and unfortunately it isn't accurate enough for higher Tiers.

See, I knew his templates weren’t completely accurate. So the fact that you’d have to use his templates AND templates from the Armory to make it more legitimate seems kind of counterproductive. Like baking a cake with cake mix and not using the directions on the back of the box. I guess it’s just better for beginners or if you need a quick costume for an upcoming con.

Please define "Squiffy". I don't see it in mblackwell1002's dictionary.

squiffy (comparative squiffier, superlative squiffiest) (Britain, informal) slightly drunk or intoxicated; tipsy. 1992, J. B. Priestley, An Inspector Calls, Heinemann, →ISBN, page 51, In the Palace bar. I'd been there an hour or so with two or three other chaps. I was a bit squiffy. (Britain, informal) Crooked, askew; awry

Basically slightly off normal but still grounded and ready to rock.

I found an obscure reference of the etymology of the word:

"I understood it (Squiffy) was a reference to the partiality to alcohol of the former Prime Minister (UK), Herbert Asquith (1908-16)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back