Animatronic Iron Man suit tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honus

Finally finished the complete tutorial! Wireless helmet with opening faceplate and chin, shoulder rockets, forearm missile, moving hip pods, moving back flaps and boots that light up with a sound effect. The suit functions are controlled using RFID tags in the gloves.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Animatronic-Iron-Man-Mk-III-suit/

Enjoy!

Video of the animatronics-

The video shows the owner wearing the suit during the first test fitting after the animatronics were installed, so there's several suit pieces missing- hence the gaps in the suit. Once the suit gets a new paint job we'll have a new video of him wearing it and activating all of the suit functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow! This is the first Iron Man suit I've seen that has been taken this far with all the moving parts. Some people have just had movement on the helmet, but this is awesome. I would really like to see a video of this suit in action while being worn! :D

motherofgod.png

I'm speechless! this is amazing!

Attachments

• motherofgod.png
    motherofgod.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 324
Concur with Flying Spartan. I feel completely inadequate. I'm trying to figure out magnets for pete's sake!!!

Well done.

....................WOW............ thats an awesome video showing all the moving parts. i bet it took a long time to do it all. Cant wait to see it in action

Thanks for the kind words everyone! We really tried to push the boundaries of what could be done with an Iron Man suit. There's definitely a few things that could be improved and cleaned up but for the most part I'm pretty happy with how everything works- especially the idea of using RFID tags to control everything as it's a super flexible way to do it.

After doing this Iron Man suit and multiple other animatronic projects and after much discussion with several friends I finally caved and created a forum to help all of my costuming and prop building friends with their animatronic and electronic needs. I know some of this stuff can be very challenging and researching it can be a real pain. I get countless emails and messages asking for help with projects of this nature and I figured it was time to create a forum where people who want to delve into the world of animatronics and electronics can go to help each other and discuss their projects. There are separate categories for general project discussion, hardware, software, tools and fabrication along with multiple sub forums to make it easy to navigate. There’s also a gallery so everyone can show off all of their hard work. I’ll also be doing a regular “how to” video blog series to help get people started on their projects and I’ll continue to make videos as I work on projects I have in the pipeline.

In no way is this meant to detract from existing forums (nor do I expect it to get a lot of traffic) but rather be a place where the focus is specifically on animatronic/electronic technical issues that people have so we can all make even cooler costumes. :)

http://diyanimatronics.freeforums.net/

ok it's already bin said but amazing' truly amazing' ill say the best Iron Man ive seen so far as for diyanimatronics looks great im sure ill learn a lot thank you for taking the time to do it,

The only way it could possibly be made better is if it was metal and could fly lol

Cool I remember seeing this on YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Yours reminds me of the one from robot uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back